Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB online banking review

Options
  • 02-12-2014 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone with a PTSB account can let me know how they find their online banking. I'm changing my current account from KBC, for a multitude of reasons but one thing that really irks me is how limited their online banking is (modern kind of life my a**e) I have used online banking with AIB and BOI before and I find them great, really intuitive and much more features on them. I know PTSB don't charge fees, but I do all my banking online so I don't want to sign up and then want to fling my computer out the window everytime I use it.

Things I'm looking for:
    -online payments
    -online so set-up
    -online statements
    -online statement request
    -mobile app
    -ability to cancel dd online

Would be interested to hear anything else that they do, oh and I can't abide those little pocket code generators to make transfers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes to everything bar, I think, online statement request, simply because I think they stay in your history and you dont need to request them.

The account requires a mobile phone in that for certain functions they will instantly text you a code to enter. You can also set up text alerts and do text-based banking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I would definitely recommend the PTSB online banking. I use it a lot for making international electronic transfers and it is very easy for that.

-online payments
    Online payments are very easy. You can add and delete payees with BIC/IBAN very easily. You need a mobile phone to enter a confirmation code that they will send to you when adding a new payee.

-online so set-up
    Add and delete standing orders instantly at will. There are many options for regular payment such as , first Wednesday of every month, every 7 days, every Monday for next 10 weeks, etc.

-online statements
    Online statements are downloadable as PDF's and are issued every quarter.

-online statement request
    My only criticism is that new accounts do not automatically receive e-statements. You have to ring up to get the functionality switched on and request to receive them quarterly rather than annually.

-mobile app
    Only used it once but it loo fairly fully featured.

-ability to cancel dd online
    Sorry, I don't have any DD's set up at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Thanks for the info guys, I'm sold!

The browser based functionality is slightly more feature rich than the app in that you can open additional accounts through a browser but not through the mobile app

They support mobile money as well, where you transfer money to anyone with a mobile phone number, and let you top up your mobile.

The only negatives I have encountered are the ability to create a standing order from a payee - the two functions are independent, and the ability to make FX payments (Euro is the only apprarent option while online but I understand your branch can set up FX payees for you) - there are a multitude of companies out there providing this sort of service anyway so its not a big issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

Yes defo PTSB I switched from Ulster Bank in August and I love how everything is simple yet get gets done right away.
    Very helpful customer service too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The website could use a bit of a facelift (it looks like it is coming from the early 2000s), but all the functionality I need is there.

The mobile app is OK but I definitely liked the BOI one better. Basically it is not really an app, but rather the mobile website which is displayed within an app.

My biggest complaint would be that to login you need to remember and key-in:
    1) A fairly long user ID number (that you can't choose yourself and can't be saved by the app)
    2) A password
    3) Random digits from a PIN code
    This is pretty cumbersome to do on a phone, as apposed to the BOI application which can remember your user ID and only requires random digits from you PIN and the last digits of your phone number or DOB. It clearly causes me to use the app less often that I would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Bob24 wrote: »
    The website could use a bit of a facelift (it looks like it is coming from the early 2000s), but all the functionality I need is there.

The mobile app is OK but I definitely liked the BOI one better. Basically it is not really an app, but rather the mobile website which is displayed within an app.

1) A fairly user ID number (that you can't choose yourself and can't be saved by the app)
    2) A password
    This is pretty cumbersome to do on a phone, as apposed to the BOI application which can remember your user ID and only requires random digits from you PIN and the last digits of your phone number or DOB. It clearly causes me to use the app less often that I would like.

I dont like the way the BOI doesnt ask you for the user ID.
    The id is printed on the back of your ptsb card if you find it hard to remember.

Apart from that, its the same, except for the fees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The app is terrible, I don't use it at all. Logging in to the website is cumbersome. It looks terrible and it's awkward to set up payees and transfers.

Would not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

McGaggs wrote: »
    The app is terrible, I don't use it at all. Logging in to the website is cumbersome. It looks terrible and it's awkward to set up payees and transfers.

Would not recommend.

I found setting up payees and transfers very easy. You go to the payee section, press add, type in BIC/IBAN/Name and enter the code you receive via SMS a few seconds later. I've done it dozens of times with no problems it only takes a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

The only thing I don't like about the PTSB online is they don't show pending transactions individually the way AIB do. For example :

Total Pending Transactions 2
    Total Value of Pending Transactions €100

Rather than

Pending Transactions

Tesco 01/01/2014 €45
    Smyths 02/01/2014 €55

I find it easier to keep track when pending transactions are named especially at this time of year when I'm banking online more than usual but for the fees I'm saving I'll put up with it.

• Advertisement

Karen23 wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like about the PTSB online is they don't show pending transactions individually the way AIB do. For example :

Rather than

Pending Transactions

Tesco 01/01/2014 €45
    Smyths 02/01/2014 €55

I find it easier to keep track when pending transactions are named especially at this time of year when I'm banking online more than usual but for the fees I'm saving I'll put up with it.

Agreed ... BOI are also displaying them individually, even for the ones where they don't yet have the name of the vendor (they give a generic name for the transaction and add the name as soon as they have it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

1) A fairly long user ID number (that you can't choose yourself and can't be saved by the app)
    2) A password

I have it set up on my laptop so the user ID number & password are auto filled when I open up the login page so only have to enter the three numbers from my pin
    Karen23 wrote: »

Rather than

Pending Transactions

Tesco 01/01/2014 €45
    Smyths 02/01/2014 €55

Agree with this

Overall though I find it very good

McGaggs wrote: »

Would not recommend.

I think there is a new version coming in the next few months..

I have it set up on my laptop so the user ID number & password are auto filled when I open up the login page so only have to enter the three numbers from my pin

Same here ... my comment was about the mobile application. To my knowledge there is no way to have it remember the user ID (at least on iOS). And for some reason the autofill feature from 1Password doesn't work with the mobile version of the website (whereas it is working fine with the desktop version); probably some dodgy javascript in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

Same here ... my comment was about the mobile application. To my knowledge there is no way to have it remember the user ID (at least on iOS). And for some reason the autofill feature from 1Password doesn't work with the mobile version of the website (whereas it is working fine with the desktop version); probably some dodgy javascript in there.

Autofill works for me on the mobile website on iOS. It's the main reason I use the mobile website rather than the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

homer911 wrote: »
    I think there is a new version coming in the next few months..

I'll give it a whirl anyway.

Advertisement