Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Ceiling

Options
  • 02-12-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have an en-suite bathroom that has no external walls so no ventilation possible. Even with door left open during showers mildew has become a real problem on the ceiling. Any ideas as to what is the best long term solution for this? Fed up sanding and painting. US websites suggest fiberglass paneling. Is this available in Dublin and is it a good solution? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

you could always sheet it with timber paneling.its handy enough.2 by 1 inch battens around the edge then across every 400mm centers.you can screw them into the ceiling joist.then using panel pins tack the panels to the 2 by 1.leave a 10 mm gap around the edge for expansion and put up a moulded piece to cover it.you will however still need to address the ventilation problem.is it possible to put in a ceiling extractor and vent it out the soffit.make sure the hole is cut out in soffit and a grill fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Newton4 wrote: »
    I have an en-suite bathroom that has no external walls so no ventilation possible. Even with door left open during showers mildew has become a real problem on the ceiling. Any ideas as to what is the best long term solution for this? Fed up sanding and painting. US websites suggest fiberglass paneling. Is this available in Dublin and is it a good solution? Thanks

Get a vent put in the ceiling that goes out the roof if possible a good one let's the steam out

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Newton4

Thanks Mick. The ventilation issue is a real problem as its an apartment and as there are no external walls in the en-suite and no attic space above I have no way of venting the room. Poor architectural design! I assume timber paneling has to be painted etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

varnish.put a sealer on first.you can do this while the panels are on the ground.get the cellulose (i think)based one not the water based one.after about fifteen mins its dry and give it a quick rub of medium/fine sandpaper. it will be very smooth.buy good quality varnish and apply after fitting.ask in shop about amount of coats needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thanks Mick. The ventilation issue is a real problem as its an apartment and as there are no external walls in the en-suite and no attic space above I have no way of venting the room. Poor architectural design! I assume timber paneling has to be painted etc.?

box out a new en-suite vent duct to an external wall. A lack of ventilation is the problem, do that first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

BryanF wrote: »
    box out a new en-suite vent duct to an external wall. A lack of ventilation is the problem, dove that first

"there are no external walls in the en-suite and no attic space above"

dodzy wrote: »
    "there are no external walls in the en-suite and no attic space above"
    there is an external wall somewhere in the apartment. Take the vent/duct through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

there is an external wall somewhere in the apartment. Take the vent/duct through it.

Common problem
    I doubt you want to duct through living room/kitchen as suggested above:o
    First follow paneling-out as above
    Easiest way to start to solve problem
    Not perfect but short of venting into living space or ducting through, i'd try it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

A big undertaking with undoubted eyesore resulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Another option is white pvc cladding in plain white, I think chadwicks have it, Celluplast also do a range for bathroom. Personally I would duct all the way to an external wall,

• Advertisement

I have an en-suite bathroom.... no ventilation... Any ideas as to what is the best long term solution for this? s
    fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

If as the Op says this is an apartment I think the Advice to run a duct to the outer wall without informing the management company is a bad idea as you can't likely alter the exterior. I.e. drilling holes etc check first for permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭Markcheese

sohappy wrote: »
    Another option is white pvc cladding in plain white, I think chadwicks have it, Celluplast also do a range for bathroom. Personally I would duct all the way to an external wall,

+1 ,my brother in law got small rectangular ducting than ran along living room ceiling/ wall . Very unobtrusive-
    That or having a dehudifier on in the bathroom all the time-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement