Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advanced Driving lessons

Options
  • 02-12-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi Guys!

So I just wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on advanced driving lessons.

By way of backstory; I failed my test about six months ago (after competing my six months driving and passing two pretests) made an absolute rookie/out of character mistake of not putting on my handbreak and rolling back.

I decided to give myself a few months to become more confident. I think my driving skills are way better than they were then. I'm a really confident driver and definitely far safer.

The only problem is there are a few skills EDT simply didn't teach me and I'm wary to try and learn on my own (I can do them sufficiently) - parallel parking, reverse parking etc. I take big pride in my driving and seriously want to learn these skills! I also think it might be a good idea to learn more safety techniques and some defensive driving techniques now were coming into the frosty period.

Anyone completed one of these? do you think it would fit my requierment and woiuld it be a good idea to do one before my test which i plan to sit in january?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Which advanced driving lessons are you talking about? I personally don't know about any over here in Ireland and am also interested in this sort of thing.

The only one I'm aware of is the Ignition course by Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Join the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM). It's a UK-based organisation but has lots of Irish members.
    A new Irish branch is being established at present. Membership costs 42 euros per year.

www.iam.org.uk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When I was learning, I was concerned that even when I passed I would not have been on a motorway so I rang a few independent instructors to ask about covering things like you mentioned and all were willing to do 'bespoke' lessons on anything I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Most decent driving instructors will be able to give advanced driving lessons. There is not much of a market for it compared to basic learner lessons and pre-test lessons so it is not advertised much. That said, try Googling 'Driving lessons on snow or ice in Ireland'? You never know what you might find. Parking is a skill all driving instructors should be able to help you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I completed a 'Skid Car Course' in Mondello many years ago, very useful few hours. Might do a refresher some day soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I think the current test format in pretty flawed. I passed my test with very little (almost no) experience with parking. Reason for this is because it isn't in the test. I don't feel very confident about reverse parking, or parallel parking. Might be worth having an hours practice in a car park somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

dublinjen wrote: »
    Hi Guys!

So I just wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on advanced driving lessons.

By way of backstory; I failed my test about six months ago (after competing my six months driving and passing two pretests) made an absolute rookie/out of character mistake of not putting on my handbreak and rolling back.

I decided to give myself a few months to become more confident. I think my driving skills are way better than they were then. I'm a really confident driver and definitely far safer.

The only problem is there are a few skills EDT simply didn't teach me and I'm wary to try and learn on my own (I can do them sufficiently) - parallel parking, reverse parking etc. I take big pride in my driving and seriously want to learn these skills! I also think it might be a good idea to learn more safety techniques and some defensive driving techniques now were coming into the frosty period.

Anyone completed one of these? do you think it would fit my requierment and woiuld it be a good idea to do one before my test which i plan to sit in january?

Thanks!

Hi,

Check out IAM R of Ireland

I am an IAM member therefore received notifications from them that they were attempting to set up a branch in Ireland.

I was unable to attend any meetings as I am in Thailand. (half way through my six months annual holiday). therefore I do not know what the present situation is or for that matter anything about them. When I return will contact them find out.

However they should be worth a call.

I have passed two advanced tests. Good car control is of course a prerequisite, but IMHO the main ingredient of advanced driving is observation, awareness and anticipation. Which you should be able to teach yourself. Strive to get a smoothness to your driving.

Re snow and ice driving. There was a survey carried out in one of the Scandinavian countries few years back, forget which. They discovered people who had done a skid control course were more inclined to drive faster, take more chances that ordinary drivers. However in my view they rather spoiled the entire survey, they also discovered that people who put chains on the wheels also drove faster., which would be the reason why they put the chains on in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

RoSPA are very active in Ireland with examiners based here. RoSPA is world wide and I like the fact they use a grading scale, fail > bronze > silver > gold, so it's not just a pass or fail.

IAM are also very good but kind of imploded in Ireland a few years back. They are remotely active from UK but are making moves to establish here again. Wheels are moving slowing (pardon the pun!) but I suspect this is largely to do with wanting to avoid some of the issues that came up with the previous IAM group here. Saying no more on that.

Be very careful about advanced level training prior to licence acquisition. It is designed as a step up and some of the things taught may contradict the ordinary test marking scheme. For example: ordinary test maintain a left bias position (approx door distance off the left) etc, in advanced training use "active road positioning", i.e. make maximum use of the space legally available to you to gain maximum vision and reduce risk to the absolute minimum.

I am an IAM and RoSPA (Gold) certified driver, member of both and hold a Diploma in Advanced Driver Training & Assessment. I prepare people for both tests (IAM and RoSPA) as well as for the standard RSA test.

Advertisement