Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance - what should i do? pls

• 02-12-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Short story.. me in parking lot.. driver hit me from the back.. speed 10km/h. the driver refused to call insurance on the spot and said that his car was damaged before anyway - he is living two blocks away from me.. so he is like a neighbour... me trying to be nice i said i know a garage who can look after that - the previous damage - it was a scratch barely visible. i was communicating with other driver 3 msgs sent between us over the phone...untill he pulled story about the accident and asked me for 1200e. i was in complete shock...

i said wtf are you talking about...

i went to parking lot.. no CCTV. i called my insurance on the day. The guy told me over the phone unless i pay him 1200e .. (his car is 15y old. worth max 800.) he knows people and i will loose NCB and he will get every penny he wants...

insurance accepted his story of me crashing his car.. without even contacting me. they send me only one single email. no phone contact or anything.
    assessor was send out after my 10 calls.. assessor stated that "he doesnt think that the damage was caused by my vehicle" taking all measures and pics...

my insurance answer. assessor didnt clearly said that it could not occure...

Am i dreaming here? My case was transfered between 4 people in insurance company and nobody wanna talk to me at this stage.. they are telling.me to call back next day

this is crazy... i had never any inccident - car one...

Who can i contact or what can i do to protect myself. This is not right...

at this stage i am lost... so then anyone can say anything and i would be pretty much screwed...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Let me get this straight, the other guy hit you from behind, and he's looking for you to cover his damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Chimaera wrote: »
    Let me get this straight, the other guy hit you from behind, and he's looking for you to cover his damage?

Yessss.... and he is getting away with it.

he calledy insurance... said that i offered him deal that he is not happy about.. he showed them my 3 msg... and thats it... i didnt even signed or send any form at all.

my msg were

1. let me know how you get on
    2. tell me the number
    3. wtf are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Chimaera wrote: »

I was just thinking that? Surely they can see which car is damaged at the front and which is damaged at the rear?

This wouldn't seem like rocket surgery?

ie. if your car is damaged at the rear and his from the front then either he rear ended you, or you backed into him?

Is that what he's claiming? That you backed into him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You should have called the guards if he refused to provide you with his insurance details and proof he was licensed to drive.

Bikerguy wrote: »
    Yessss.... and he is getting away with it.

he calledy insurance... said that i offered him deal that he is not happy about.. he showed them my 3 msg... and thats it... i didnt even signed or send any form at all.

my msg were

1. let me know how you get on
    2. tell me the number
    3. wtf are you talking about?

In that case, what he's attempting is either fraud or extortion, both of which are criminal matters. I'd be having a chat with the Gardaí next.

• Advertisement

you can pm me for pics... my car has no scratch or damage on the bumper.. assessor was sent after my constant calls...

he was shaking his head.. took measures and said to me.. thats clearly attemoted fraud.. but he cant sign for this.. he said that he can only recommend.. and he stated that he doesnt think that the damage was caused by my car.

why would you call gards? i did nothing wrong and the lad was in the same age as me.. living close ti me.. i though being nice is the nirmal thing... untill he went for 1200e...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

why would you call gards? i did nothing wrong and the lad was in the same age as me.. living close ti me.. i though being nice is the nirmal thing... untill he went for 1200e...

You should pretty much always call the Guards so they have a record of what happened. Very handy backup.

While the assessor concludes that the damage to the bonnet may not have been caused by an impact with your car (although the third party is adamant that it is) the damage to the grille etc alone would make the car a write off and therefore we will need to proceed with a settlement of the third party's claim.

Final statement from email from my insurance.. not edited..

pls note.. my car is not damaged... and there is no evidence my causing that ... am i dreaming here

guys... anyone has experience with similar situation? I just wanna know if this is normal.. i still cant believe it... i simply cant..

• Advertisement

I'll repeat for clarification seeing as you seemed to have missed it the last time: What he's attempting is either fraud or extortion, both of which are criminal matters. I'd be having a chat with the Gardaí next.

Someone is trying to commit a crime, Gardaí deal with crime. Simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The fact that he didn't want to hand over insurance details would be a warning, even if offering to pay out of pocket insurance details should always be exchanged. How did he get your insurance details to make a claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I don't get this, did the person reverse into you which then makes it look like you hit them?
    How could someone crash into you from the back and then claim 1200e from you? Unless the person said you reversed into them but it's so far fetched that I can't see any insurance company accepting it.
    Was the email from a legitimate company? Not something made up sent from the other driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Something very fishy about this.

Report it to the Garda. You should have done this immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

He is taking you for a fool. Clearly he is at fault. If he doesn't want his premiums going up he can intervene with his insurance and offer to settle it himself at which point he would be bound by whatever quote you have for damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I better get my dashcam back in the car, need to fix the wiring, found it frayed and damaged.

Advertisement