Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 year old perfectly healthy cat just dropped dead

• 02-12-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

So my cat Sascha passed away yesterday evening shortly before 7pm. We don't know what happened as one minute she was perfectly fine and her usual sprightly chatty self then I went upstairs a few minutes after she did I found her lying on her side and completely lifeless. We rushed her straight to the vet and were then in 10mins but there was nothing they could do. We don't know what happened (it's so bizarre) but a post mortem will hopefully reveal something in the next week or so.

We're still in shock and not even sure if the reality of what has happened has set in yet. She was such a great little cat, so much fun and such great company and craic - as many of you will know from hanging out with her over the years. She will be huge loss but will be incredibly fondly remembered and thankfully she must have died extremely quickly and hopefully didn't suffer. She had a great life and was the best.

Has anybody else experienced such a thing with a cat? She was perfectly healthy and acting completely normal right up until her death, although we didn't see her actually die so obviously we don't know what happened in her very final moments. If I had to guess (from my limited research so far) I think she might have had an underlying undetectable (with regular tests) heart condition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Very sorry indeed to hear about your poor cat, what an awful shock for you. I have actually heard of this happening and it was due to heart trouble but you won't know about Sascha until your vet is sure. I'm really very sorry, it's so, so hard to lose a beloved pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My thought too - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, or HCM.

My heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

Very sorry to hear about your cat, it's such an awful shock. I experienced something similar with my 4 yr old lab during the summer except she died in her sleep. Vet said her heart just stopped & she wouldn't have felt a thing. I didn't get a post mortem though so I'm afraid I don't have any further info for you. She would have had her heart checked too but multiple vets said it can go undetected. The only comfort is she did not suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

So sorry to hear of your loss.. Its very difficult to lose a pet, particularly when they are happy and healthy.

I don't have much experience but just wanted to share my sympathies.
    I hope you get to the bottom of it and my thoughts are with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm so sorry, it's heartbreaking to lose them.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a cat (she was 1 year old) who took very ill very suddenly, she was find one minute, the next she was struggling to breathe. It turns out her lungs were filling with fluid and the vet couldn't stop it or find out why. I ended up having to send her to sleep. I didn't get a post mortem so I never knew why. It happened so suddenly, I was shocked and my other cat, poor thing, looked for her for weeks afterwards.

Such a sudden loss of a previously healthy pet is really jarring. I feel for you and again, I'm so sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a cat (she was 1 year old) who took very ill very suddenly, she was find one minute, the next she was struggling to breathe. It turns out her lungs were filling with fluid and the vet couldn't stop it or find out why. I ended up having to send her to sleep. I didn't get a post mortem so I never knew why. It happened so suddenly, I was shocked and my other cat, poor thing, looked for her for weeks afterwards.

Such a sudden loss of a previously healthy pet is really jarring. I feel for you and again, I'm so sorry.

Same thing happened my 9 year old cat recently, fine one day struggling to breathe the next, had to put her down too. Never found out what happened her either. It's a huge shock when it happens so suddenly and they are so healthy looking up to that.

Sorry to hear about Sascha :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Thanks for all the kind words and stories people - it helps a tiny bit. I can't even really explain how I feel but quite strange is one and I've also nearly completely lost my appetite and my stomach feels every unsettled (very unusual for me). I'm incredibly busy everyday at work and in a way that's a good think but in another way it's making things worse - if that makes sense! Not sleeping great either.... My girlfriend is also still very upset/shocked - she had known Sascha for just over years and we've all been living together nearly 2 years.

I've attached one of my fav recent pics of her for you all to enjoy. I have lots and lots and lots of pics (even some canvas prints) of her so I have my own memories and those at least :)

10644965_10154877763770302_375452619248555308_n.jpg?oh=ca4d529bf563fdc2e56807122575f10c&oe=551A478F

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Happened to me with both a dog and a cat.

My OH woke to find the cat curled up beside him dead, the poor dog was in Kennels and was found dead in the morning when he was checked on.

Both put down to heart problems, I hadn't the stomach to have a pm done.

I'd another dog drop dead unexpectedly due to an aneurism, was literally begging for a treat one minute, then collapsed.

Very stressful and a horrible experience, really feel for you OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Giles wrote: »
    Thanks for all the kind words and stories people - it helps a tiny bit. I can't even really explain how I feel but quite strange is one and I've also nearly completely lost my appetite and my stomach feels every unsettled (very unusual for me). I'm incredibly busy everyday at work and in a way that's a good think but in another way it's making things worse - if that makes sense! Not sleeping great either.... My girlfriend is also still very upset/shocked - she had known Sascha for just over years and we've all been living together nearly 2 years.

I've attached one of my fav recent pics of her for you all to enjoy. I have lots and lots and lots of pics (even some canvas prints) of her so I have my own memories and those at least :)

10644965_10154877763770302_375452619248555308_n.jpg?oh=ca4d529bf563fdc2e56807122575f10c&oe=551A478F

Your not alone, I dropped half a stone in a few days and no appetite/unsettled stomach for about a week. Kept dreaming and having the odd nightmare and waking up at night. Swear to god it's like losing a family member.

Post some pics on the departed thread if you want :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054924749&page=82

She's a beauty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

What a beautiful cat, she's simply stunning. She has "those eyes" and the eyes are the key, for me anyway, they say it all and they see right into our hearts. Diverting for a moment, I honestly think that those people who say they hate cats and those other people who deliberately do them harm, really can't bear the scrutiny. And they know why.

It's in your cat's eyes in that picture for sure, you were well loved. I feel so sad for you and your girlfriend, so many of us have been in your shoes, and will be again but that's the price of unconditional love. May be a bit silly but my favourite fridge magnet says, "cats leave paw prints on our hearts". And I say, thank God. I hope that you can help each other cope and manage some rest. Thinking of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Feel so sorry for you, I have 2 cats and 2 dogs who are young all <4. And this is my first gear them suddenly dieing. RIP little girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

So awfully sorry to hear, Giles :( There's absolutely nothing so awful as suddenly losing them, when you'd imagined years still ahead of you with them :eek:

We lost our dog back in the Autumn, and someone close to me said, I knew you saw it coming a long while, but that doesn't make any difference, does it? I had to stop and think, and then said, yes, actually I think it makes a great deal of difference. Time to prepare, think everything over and over, yes, that kind of kills you a little by pieces, but it does not put a dagger through the heart the same way it does when a young, vital one is suddenly torn away.

I feel very much for you, and that certainly was a magnificent cat! Janmaree said it, about the eyes. Our cats look at us just like that, and I worry constantly about my 4-year-old, even though she looks a picture of health, as she went through pneumonia and allsorts after she turned up on our doorstep (actually in my car-bonnet!) as a tiny kitten, much too young to leave her mum :rolleyes:

I'll be holding you in my thoughts, am almost crying now actually, as that is such an awful, horrible, shocking thing to happen. Look after yourself, and go easy :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A real beauty and a terrible shock. be easy on you and look after yourself the while,,, prayer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Nikki here Giles - much love. Sascha was the absolute business.
    I've only had my wee one 3 years so I can begin to imagine what a space they leave in your heart and lives.
    Hope you're doing ok x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Thanks Nikki!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RachelDDD

So sorry to hear of your loss Giles, she was such a beauty. I have heard cats have a bad record of heart problems so it's likely this was the case for your cat. At least have comfort knowing it was quick and she may have even died in her sleep. I also have a cat and totally adore him, they are such loyal friends & companions. I know it is so hard for you at the moment but maybe getting a new kitten might help you deal with the loss. My parents always find this helps when the family dog dies, they take a week or two to grieve and then fill that horrible gap with a new pet who needs a lot of love and care. I hope you & your girlfriend get through this sad time.

Advertisement