Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barley wine recipe

Options
  • 02-12-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Hey there peps,
    I going to try a my first Extract Barley Wine from my left over hops and steeping grains and would love some advice.

Benie's Barley Wine

Batch size 12L
    ABV 10.1% IBU 80

Light DME 3kg

Steeping Grains
    Crystal 40 300g
    Crystal 113 150g
    Chocolate 100g

Hops
    Magnum 10g @60
    Amerillo 10g @50
    Magnum 5g @40
    Cascade 10g @40
    Cascasde 10g @30
    Amarillo 10g @30
    Amerillo 10g @15
    Saaz 10g @15

I really like SN bigfoot and quite like Anchor's Old Fog horn,
    I still have some fuggles and some more saaz but thats it on the hops front,
    I have 150g more chocolate grain
    600g of Crystal 40
    800g of Crystal 113

Is the recipe good as is or do you recommend adding something from what I have left. I don't want to buy anymore ingredients.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You'll get a nicer beer if you put in all your Magnum at 60 and leave the rest for between 15 and 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Mmm do you reckon, I feel I need the IBU range to be up around 80 for this type of beer

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

If you plan to age this over the next year + your IBUs will fall out over time. To be honest I haven't made one yet but I've tasted a few decent homebrewed ones. The key is time, the longer, the better.
    (I'm sure this is not news to you)

Yep I'm prepared for aging, I'm goona age for at least 6 months

So I've tweaked this recipe a little thanks to some advice on the hombrew site, so this is what I've currently got

Benie's Barley Wine

Batch size 12L
    ABV 10.6% IBU 83
    Colour (SRM) 26.4

Light DME 3kg

Steeping Grains
    Crystal 40 600g
    Crystal 113 150g
    Chocolate 100g

Hops
    Magnum 15g @60
    Cascade 15g @60
    Fuggles 20g @40
    Cascade 20g @10
    Amerillo 30g @10

I'm gonna buy some more Cascade and I'll drop hop with this also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Skip the dry hop. Barleywines are all about the aging. The maturation time will kill off a lot of the hops.

We have a barley wine on the go that is 100% pale malt, and all the hops are 60m old leaf hops that have been hanging around too long. It is gone into a whisky barrel for some extended aging.

Done right, barleywines should be really simple, as their complex flavour and character is built up over time by the action of the yeast and residual chemistry. Any flavour imparted by late/dry hop additions will have long disappeared after the required amount of aging.

It is typical to age barleywines for years not months.

As an aside, a barleywine can be a really cheap high gravity beer. You can use it to mop up older leftover hops, all cheap malt etc. and make something good out of cheap ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

sharingan wrote: »
    We have a barley wine on the go that is 100% pale malt, and all the hops are 60m old leaf hops that have been hanging around too long. It is gone into a whisky barrel for some extended aging.
    Not to go off topic but

This your own Whiskey Barrel? Or a Club Barrel Project? If it's the former, (and it's a relatively small one) can you buy these?

Hingo wrote: »
    Not to go off topic but

This your own Whiskey Barrel? Or a Club Barrel Project? If it's the former, (and it's a relatively small one) can you buy these?

It belongs to a club member. They are easy enough to source from distilleries in the uk, but the shipping is expensive.

Filling them is a project in itself though.

Advertisement