Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC gaming DESK thread

• 02-12-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Didnt want to necro the old thread. Currently Im using the VERY nice .. Ikea Black Glass Galant desk.

However I see a lot of pics of modified desks online that look the biz!

Have any of you seen any sexy affordable ideal gaming desks for under 300 euro? It has to hold 2x28 inch monitors and large speakers either side.

Any suggestions outside of Ikea/Argos?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Depends what you need. I bought a cheap second hand desk, very sturdy like this, except white, and chipped paintwork! The top is about 1.2m x 0.8m.
    ml20desk-300x196.jpg

Mounted the monitor with one of these

31IgmWWHfIL.jpg

It frees up a load of space on your desk with no bulky stands in the way, along with the other benefits, and being able to fold it back almost flush with the wall when no in use.

The finishing touch was ordering this

GS-003-OP_59019_600.jpg

Which almost exactly covered the desktop, making it pretty neat surface, and hiding the chipped paint!

To be honest, the idea of spending 300 on a desk sounds mental to me. Spending that my expectations would be at an antique leather top (not really gamer material) or got the whole hog and get a desk that can house my PC!

cx2014-46b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I have a very simple, very practical desk made of wood (approx 2m wide, 1m deep). No silly drawers or other extraneous features. It's big enough to fit multiple large monitors (30" monitors are too heavy for most VESA mounts). Also the backplane can be removed (couple of screws) and then the sidepanels fold up so the whole lot can be easily transported. If you ever have to move house you will really appreciate that feature ofc.

Your monitors pretty much dictate what kind of desk you need. Large monitors need to be further away, some desks are no good for this. Since you have 28" monitors you will need a BIG desk. Also take note of how much your monitors weigh and how that will affect mounting options. I have Dell monitors and they come with good stands (vertical adjust+tilt but no rotate).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Lian Li PC Desk pictured above costs $1200 :) I was only looking at it yesterday.

I have a very basic desk from Ikea that I got for a few quid off a guy on Adverts. I have a monitor stand too, can't overstate how useful they are and how much space they free up, especially as I have 3 24" monitors (the stand is rated up to 3 X 27"). I also have a second corner shaped desk beside the Ikea one (I got it from a friend years ago, I think he got it from Argos). They lined up well, I had to put a couple of bits of wood to lift the Ikea on to the same height, but it's a smooth enough fit that I can put my mouse mat across the join and feel no bump as I move it. So on that other desk it has some shelving underneath which nicely holds my UPC router, my own internal router, a NAS, my Logitech Z5500 system sub (it's fking huge!) and a small wee plastic stack set of drawers.

The PC is against the edge of the Ikea desk and sits in the middle of everything, luckily it just lines up flush with the front edge of the desk (Nanoxia Deep Silence 1, not a small case). For some people, it's position would be awkward, but it works for me, I still have lots of legroom when I'm sitting right at the desk and I've put the mouse & keyboard in the right space so that I'm not kicking the PC case too often :p

On the desk are the monitor stand of course, the left, right and centre speakers as well as the control unit for the 5500, a 10 socket plug-board that everything's wired up to (it's just handy to not have to stretch for plugs), my XBox 360, an Ikea light set controller (I have light strips on the back of the monitors and on the bottom lip of the middle one to light up my mouse & keyboard area, very handy), a Snowball mic, the mouse and keyboard, a tiny usb desk fan and a whole pile of junk.

I've now got to try and make a comfortable space for the HOTAS stick & throttle that's in the post... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have gone through two desks, having moved from an apartment to a house in the last year, and both desks are exactly the same. So affordible I wasn't arsed transporting the other one.

IKEA job. I love IKEA because of the obvious stuff of buying stuff that might not be for the intended/original use.

I bought a table top from them at about €16, that is pretty massive, and then bought a pack of 4 legs that cost about €12. I think prices have fluctuated since, but I wanted a big flat surface to hold mouse and keyboard and monitors. I HATE desks that have the hideaway mouse and keyboard, prefer having my hands higher up, rather then lower down.

Here is how it looked in the old apartment

IMG_20130322_205900.jpg

The legs I got were "slightly" different. I got a pair that ran metal support beams. So You kinda stand them upright, and screw through them into the table. So there is no legs on the front right or left as you can see, provides some really good space underneath.

you could also do what a clever friend did. he got heavy duty shelving brackets, and then a similar IKEA table top. Mounted shelves on wall to the height he desired, and then mounted table on them. So its free hanging.

Obviously make sure you have a solid wall to do this, and use the correct raw plugs and **** or it will collapse. but you have a free hanging desk that has loads of storage space underneath. I'll be doing something similar for my next desk, whenever I need it.

Those monitor mounts, looks very good. I remember smoeone linked me outragous priced ones. I've two 24" monitors, BENQ. Can you get monitor mounts for that size monitor that won't cost a fortune? I like the idea of getting more space, and more importantly bringing them up higher.

At present I kinda look down at my monitors, and as a big guy it strains my neck and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

TheDoc wrote: »

Those monitor mounts, looks very good. I remember smoeone linked me outragous priced ones. I've two 24" monitors, BENQ. Can you get monitor mounts for that size monitor that won't cost a fortune? I like the idea of getting more space, and more importantly bringing them up higher.

At present I kinda look down at my monitors, and as a big guy it strains my neck and back.

Put a good book or two under your monitors!

The one i picture above is the one i got, think it was about €40 at the time, There are dual versions as well. I have a 23" and its fine, doesnt seem to be strained even when fully extended.

If i was mounting a 27" or bigger i would be double checking the weight limits.

Very handy as well if you ever use your monitor in portrait, sometimes im drawings things which are more vertical than horizontal, saves a lot of panning, rotating portrait/landscape is seamless (1 second), assuming you hvaent the cable wrapped around the arm in the wrong direction!

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Put a good book or two under your monitors!

The one i picture above is the one i got, think it was about €40 at the time, There are dual versions as well. I have a 23" and its fine, doesnt seem to be strained even when fully extended.

If i was mounting a 27" or bigger i would be double checking the weight limits.

Very handy as well if you ever use your monitor in portrait, sometimes im drawings things which are more vertical than horizontal, saves a lot of panning, rotating portrait/landscape is seamless (1 second), assuming you hvaent the cable wrapped around the arm in the wrong direction!

I found a Durtronic set on Amazon for €50 that I ordered last night actually. Should comfortably mount my monitors and have swivels and ****, 5 star reviews and wont break the bank :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

TheDoc wrote: »

I got these awhile back for my Dell U2412Ms. Obviously not as good as an Ergotron but for the money and with a little bit of tweaking, they're spot on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've to get myself a desk over the next days, and will probably just get this from IKEA. Looks solid enough, and i don't need anything fancy.

malm-desk-with-pull-out-panel__0133390_PE288806_S4.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00214181/#/00214181

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Kiith wrote: »
    I've to get myself a desk over the next days, and will probably just get this from IKEA. Looks solid enough, and i don't need anything fancy.

malm-desk-with-pull-out-panel__0133390_PE288806_S4.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00214181/#/00214181

Personally I would be worried of the PC being blocked I'm by that wooden shelf and overheating, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't get a desk with stupid shelves like that. All it does is get in the way.

• Advertisement

It's one of the few that looks decent, and is a reasonable price though. I kind of like the side shelf...even if i probably wouldn't end up using it for much. Any other suggestions, or even sites that do desks? I checked Viking Direct, but they are bloody expensive. I don't really fancy spending more then €150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's one of the few that looks decent, and is a reasonable price though. I kind of like the side shelf...even if i probably wouldn't end up using it for much. Any other suggestions, or even sites that do desks? I checked Viking Direct, but they are bloody expensive. I don't really fancy spending more then €150.
    I had intended getting an Ikea Galant myself but since they seem to be phasing them out in favour of the newer Bekant series, I'll start with that. Then I'm gona add the Ekby Jarpen shelf and sit it on a set of Capita stands. Maybe use one of these guys too in order to keep the cables tidy.

The end result will look something like this and this.

I was going to do something similar to that Giz but ended up getting the triple monitor stand instead of the shelf. It's still a really nice and clean design though I think.

My biggest problem atm is that because the 3 screens are so wide, I can't use all three for any game that requires the desk - mouse & keyboard and joystick. Tis grand when I'm using a controller as I can just roll back on the chair and take it all in, but at the desk there's too much screen on my peripheral vision. Need the desk to be deeper, but then it becomes messy for the flat :)

Talk about first world problems!

Yeah the few PC desks I had starting off were too narrow and the screen was right in my face.

That's why I built my own, its plenty deep so I've plenty of room for keyboard, mouse etc and monitors.

Slight addition to my desk inspired by Shiminay, IKEA LED lights, €30. Provide some nice ambient lighting to the desk so I don't need the light on in the room ( appreciate its "unhealthy", but just prefer this)

Am having an issue with one of the LED strips that keeps falling off the right monitor. The other three are fine, have just removed the last one entirely for the time being.

Pic doesn't really do it justice, my entire desk is lit with this gentle blue light, so I can see my keys perfectly. Also has this crazy good lighting going up the wall behind, and its making some posters I have freak me out .

The LED strips are controlled by a little switch and have a large amount of colours to choose from, I've settled on blue since it matches my mouse ( sigh) but the green looks pretty slick. you can go pretty much white if you want and it does provide better lighting, but lets be real, this is all about the looks.

IMG_20141213_001947.jpg

Yea, the glue on the pads that came with the Ikea light was really bad, I got a strip of adhesive velcro to replace them for a couple of Euro. But yea, tis looking well Doc. I like to press the "slow colour fade" button to cycle through at a gentle pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

-Vega- wrote: »

Have any of you seen any sexy affordable ideal gaming desks for under 300 euro?

Any suggestions outside of Ikea/Argos?

computer_funny.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm considering switching to a standing desk, and have been for a couple years:

http://www.pcgamer.com/a-year-of-pc-gaming-with-a-standing-desk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Overheal wrote: »

Considering it myself now after reading that. I sit down all day in work so standing in the evenings would be good for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Korvanica wrote: »
    Considering it myself now after reading that. I sit down all day in work so standing in the evenings would be good for me.
    Same. Maybe something like this would be even better (taking it a bit far maybe):

Same. Maybe something like this would be even better (taking it a bit far maybe):

<Snip>

A little far yea. I get enough exercise cycling to work. And i'd say trying to do most things in gaming when walking would be quite difficult.

• Advertisement

Current Desk

Ikea Expedit Setup. Its great. So much storage.

t5x1QKC.jpg

After some measuring, i'm gonna make a 350mm high platform to try out the standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

kinda impressed to see how many other people click with the idea like I have. When I start my job in spring I'll try this out and provide my own feedback

Done

bS0h2J5.jpg

Monitors need to be raised though. This will be interesting.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Done

Monitors need to be raised though. This will be interesting.

are they cherry mx???

are they cherry mx???

Yea, Cherry MX Browns. Keyboard is a Coolermaster CMStorm.

Finally got my desk setup. Went for the IKEA desk with the pointless pull out, as i actually like the look of it (even if it is pretty useless :P).

Looking forward to getting back to playing at a proper desk, after playing from the couch for around 6 months.

VVUFkjj.jpg

d'you know, I reckon I'd get decent use of that pullout thing myself, I constantly have to drag a coffee table over beside me for resting my pot of tea on when I'm playing. Gods forbid I just cleaned my desk... :p

Also, you need another monitor or two ;)

One monitor at a time :P

And yeah, i can see me just storing food and drink on the pullout. Will give the illusion of keeping the main desk part clean.

How is it so clean and sterile?? My desk is a joke.

Fits in well unto your corner in fairness

• Advertisement

Give him a week :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

How is it so clean and sterile?? My desk is a joke.

Fits in well unto your corner in fairness

Hes only just built it,give it a month:)

EDIT: Beaten too it:(

Currently, mine holds a leather mat that goes under a dinner plate as my coaster(2/3 bottles of beer at a time to save me getting up too often), 2 flight sticks behind one of my monitors, a bundle of cables, driver disks, a home alone 2 DVD case(empty) Yankee candle and a new baby born doll nappy changing kit!

Plus my peripials and an inch of dust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Currently, mine holds a leather mat that goes under a dinner plate as my coaster(2/3 bottles of beer at a time to save me getting up too often), 2 flight sticks behind one of my monitors, a bundle of cables, driver disks, a home alone 2 DVD case(empty) Yankee candle and a new baby born doll nappy changing kit!

Plus my peripials and an inch of dust

Ha,i also use a plate coaster for my beers!! 3 bottles at a time is the sweet spot imo,dont want them gettin warm:)

I do try keep the desk tidy though,girlfriend looks after the dusting.

Anyone and life hacks for their desk setup? Like a little trash can, miniature set of drawers for wires, spool of cd case to hold your bagel etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

New PC wouldnt fit under the desk :(

10899954_836133653092756_7226437844647104487_o.jpg

New version in the works. dont like 2 monitors for some reason use dual in work and dont like them.

• Advertisement

Anyone and life hacks for their desk setup? Like a little trash can, miniature set of drawers for wires, spool of cd case to hold your bagel etc :)

Some little IKEA ones I use.

Shiminay shared a pic showing LEDs under his monitors, that provided kinda ambient light to the desk. Picked them up for 30 euro. Four strips of LED's that can change into numerous colours. I have one on the base of each monitor, and one on the top rear of each. It provides a cool lighting to the wall behind and my desk. Granted the sticky **** you get with it is garbage and they keep falling off, so will need to get that sorted.

Was only in IKEA on Saturday and picked up a small pick of like "towel hooks". They were metal, screwed into my existing desk and I use it to hang my headphones onto the side of the desk when not in use. Somewhat pointless in reality, but meh, for a euro makes things a little neater.

I also have a four cubed storage tower from IKEA. It has four squares, and it's design is a square. About waste height. Cant remember the name. Cost me about €25 quid and I go two of the plastic boxes. I have my PS3 and PS4 on the top two squares and the boxes on the bottom two, storing cables and things. It's neat, slick, pretty cheap and a nice way to house my consoles neatly.

Also bought another pack of the LEDS and through them in there, so it gives a really nice lighting to each square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

dreamers75 wrote: »
    New PC wouldnt fit under the desk :(

New version in the works. dont like 2 monitors for some reason use dual in work and dont like them.

I'm the same, 2 monitors just reminds me of work. No real need for 2 monitors at home.

I'm the same, 2 monitors just reminds me of work. No real need for 2 monitors at home.

Now that steam allows you to watch streams of friends games, I find a second monitor very handy, it means when I'm playing arms/ cs I can have a live feed on my second monitor and so have a better grasp of the action. Its particularly helpful in dayz to locate bandits when my partner goes down.

I also use it for maps, wiki, fb chat etc. Only problem is switching out on the fly as it minimizes a lot of games to the task bar.

I also use it for maps, wiki, fb chat etc. Only problem is switching out on the fly as it minimizes a lot of games to the task bar.

If you play your game in borderless windowed mode rather than fullscreen, that shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If you play your game in borderless windowed mode rather than fullscreen, that shouldn't happen.

Some games like Payday 2 dont have that option so click outside the game and poof minimised to dekstop.

I have a 40" tv connected via HDMI and have to unplug when playing payday 2, im sure there are other games that do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Some games like Payday 2 dont have that option so click outside the game and poof minimised to dekstop.

I have a 40" tv connected via HDMI and have to unplug when playing payday 2, im sure there are other games that do this.
    ALT+enter should make it windowed, not borderless though

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

My first "second monitor" was actually a TV. I had it on my wall above my monitor, and used to put movies on, or TV shows etc while I was playing games. Mostly doing WoW stuff that didn't need my full attention.

It just got to be such a habbit, I ended up getting an actual second monitor, and don't think I'd ever go back to having just one, my god. I go from two at home to one in work, and it freaks me out.

I exclusively have my browsers open on the second monitor, my main monitor pretty much just for gaming. I do all internet based stuff on the second monitor. It's main use though is to have Twitch streams on pretty much all the time.

I genuinely couldn't deal with only one monitor anymore. Although it would be definitely save me some desk space :D

I'd say its such a requirement for me now considering I run all my consoles through my monitors also, so have them going through a HDMI switch. So when I am playing the PS4, I still have the Pc on, displaying on my second monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Overheal wrote: »

I use a standing desk at work. I don't think I could go back to sitting for work...however I do like to game while seated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

sarumite wrote: »
    I use a standing desk at work. I don't think I could go back to sitting for work...however I do like to game while seated.

Is that policy or did you ask for a standing desk?

I never used a standing desk but I don't think I would fancy standing all day.

I don't see the appeal of a standing desk, I mean 6-7 hours standing whilst playing must be taxing.

I must try it sometime to see what the fuss is about. Do people not keep foot hopping while gaming??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

It's not that it's meant to be more enjoyable per sé, just that it's far better for you.

There're a couple of standing desks here in our new office, the lads haven't had any beef switching to them - only a day or two's adjustment. Wouldn't fancy it for gaming at home myself though, but if we'd had the budget for more, I'd have had one for work too.

Ok so after switching to the standing desk, I gotta say I love it. (Keep in mind that I'm sitting in work all day)

Took a few days to get used to, had to put a towel down to soften my standing area. Wearing comfortable runners also helps a lot. (I prefer not wearing shoes in my gaf though)

I find myself wandering around between games, cleaning my room & doing other stuff I'd usually put off because i'm sitting and its across the room. I'm also bopping along to music a lot more while i play so I feel i'm getting more exercise (even though its probably a minuscule amount more.)

Over the weekend I decided to do some coding, and got a TON of it done. Something id been putting off for ages, im not sure if its related but I know I tried starting it a ton of times before and just got lazy and stopped.

Highly recommend it, even if you do what I did and end up not liking it, its easy to go switch it back to a normal desk. (and then you'll have an extra little coffee table)

Edit: it also doubled my desk space. Loads more storage now !

I see IKEA are selling one. A cool 450 euro excluding table top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Conriocht

Was looking at the Ikea ones the other day. They're sit/stand rather than just standing, hence the price tag. They hold 70 kg I think?

• Advertisement
Advertisement