Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC gaming DESK thread

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The ones in our office are motorized sit/stand - I believe there was a €700ish price tag on them, so not cheap. I've seen some interesting solutions on Ikea Hackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Couldn't be arsed with it. I've seen it's benefits alright in Scandanavian banks I've been in working, but for gaming? No thanks.

Standing desks really arn't appealing to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Shiminay wrote: »
    The ones in our office are motorized sit/stand - I believe there was a €700ish price tag on them, so not cheap. I've seen some interesting solutions on Ikea Hackers.

As soon as you see someone using it in the sitting position 2 days in a row, it is your god given right to commandeer that **** up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

OSI wrote: »
    Find it very fatiguing on the legs and back atm. Very difficult to do more than half a day at it. Hoping to order an anti-fatigue mat that I've read will help massively.

That's what would happen me if I was to stand all day at a desk.

That's why I asked a few posts up if it was company policy to have a standing desk. Some how I doubt it, you cannot ask someone to stand up all day if they do not want to.

Some how I doubt it, you cannot ask someone to stand up all day if they do not want to.

HA! Have you ever heard of the hospitality industry? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

HA! Have you ever heard of the hospitality industry? :)

Probably hasn't heard of retail or building work either :pac:

Read about the mats too and was thinking of ordering one, i'll wait and see though. Currently I only spend 2 or 3 hours using my desk so theres probably no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Korvanica wrote: »
    Probably hasn't heard of retail or building work either :pac:

Read about the mats too and was thinking of ordering one, i'll wait and see though. Currently I only spend 2 or 3 hours using my desk so theres probably no need.

It's a lot easier to walk around all day than stand up straight fidgeting your feet every so often in the same spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

It's a lot easier to walk around all day than stand up straight fidgeting your feet every so often in the same spot.

Receptionists. See them in work standing for 8 hours a shift on marble floors with a mat over it. Not nice

Where I've come accross them have been in the banking world, in a past job. I did a fair bit of travel to Banks across Europe. Denmark and Sweden seemed particularly fond of motorised desks that would rise to a stand.

But the purpose was for collaberation, and that's where I see the benefit. Someone comes to my desk now I'm looking up at them, they are looking down at me, they are hunkerd over my desk looking at the monitor. So I know there are real benefits in terms of just productivity and collaberation.

I know there are arguements for health reasons, but that's not where these originated from really. With a good chair and good posture, your pretty much fine sitting down.

And for gaming, I'd argue you simply can't be optimal playing a game standing up. I know a few high level players for various games have tried it on month tests and their over riding opinion is "garbage". Guess it depends what sort of games your into .

If it's single player games, RPG's and that sort I'm sure it doesn't matter if your standing on your head. But if your playing a game where you need to be optimal, like say WoW, CS, BF4 etc., not really sure it's a good setup.

I'd say I'll probably get one down the line, end up making one myself to see what all the fuss is about. But I definitely wouldn't be mad for it for gaming.

• Advertisement

Just a note on the health issues - I have a friend who's a big guy like me and who got one in work. He dropped a stack of weight with that change in his routine, but your mileage may vary.

TheDoc wrote: »
    And for gaming, I'd argue you simply can't be optimal playing a game standing up. I know a few high level players for various games have tried it on month tests and their over riding opinion is "garbage". Guess it depends what sort of games your into .

If it's single player games, RPG's and that sort I'm sure it doesn't matter if your standing on your head. But if your playing a game where you need to be optimal, like say WoW, CS, BF4 etc., not really sure it's a good setup.

Hasn't affected my LoL play at all. I'm still rubbish :D

Just a note on the health issues - I have a friend who's a big guy like me and who got one in work. He dropped a stack of weight with that change in his routine, but your mileage may vary.

I'd imagine there was other lifestyle changes etc. Simply standing rather then sitting? I'm not buying that as a definitive reason for weight loss :D

Korvanica wrote: »
    Hasn't affected my LoL play at all. I'm still rubbish :D

I'm garbage sitting down, wonder what lieing down is like.

I'm garbage sitting down, wonder what lieing down is like.

I think its all a matter of what you're used to tbh.

A lot of my mates play PC games on their couch with the keyboard on their laps and mouse on the armrest. I cannot handle that at all. I must have both at the same level.

I also remember seeing a streamer on twitch playing LoL who had a back problem so he used to lie on his belly while playing, he was diamond 1.

I'd imagine there was other lifestyle changes etc. Simply standing rather then sitting? I'm not buying that as a definitive reason for weight loss :D

Well I can only take his word for it, but he said that was the only real change he'd made.

Now, to be fair, no more than myself, he had it to lose, so it probably wouldn't work that way for everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm looking for a good pc desk. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Fakman87 wrote: »

one like this below is what i have (this one on adverts... not mine :) )
    ntu5dej.png
    and this is mine
    mu0Ej3f.jpg
    Lots of space and the pedestal is great if you have the space

Fakman87 wrote: »

What sort of space do you have to work with? Pics would help.

And what's your budget?

Two interesting concepts, one I use personally, another a friend uses. Both IKEA jobs and budget

the first is buying one of their tabletops. You can see them on the office furniture page, cost about €20. If you have a solid wall, you can mount the tabletop to the wall using proper brackets. cost a few euro in Woodies.

so you then have essentially a free floating desk, no legs. Gives you massive room underneath and you reclaim a lot of storage space, it's rock steady and you set it to whatever height you need(obviously do it first before putting in on the brackets)

works great if you then wall mount your monitors.

My desk at present is an IKEA tabletop (big one) and I just bought two legs. Put together in minutes, rock steady, looks slick and cost me like €35

I just have it going along a wall in my PC room, used some other IKEA things to optimise storage and space in corners etc.

Really depends on your budget and the space you have available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i have the larger galant desk from ikea, it's quite big though you'd need a fairly big room for it to be a comfortable fit. the smaller one would suit most rooms though, and they're good cheap little desks. no frills and they look kinda like they belong in a secondary school home ec room but they do the job they're supposed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

What sort of space do you have to work with? Pics would help.

And what's your budget?

Two interesting concepts, one I use personally, another a friend uses. Both IKEA jobs and budget

the first is buying one of their tabletops. You can see them on the office furniture page, cost about €20. If you have a solid wall, you can mount the tabletop to the wall using proper brackets. cost a few euro in Woodies.

so you then have essentially a free floating desk, no legs. Gives you massive room underneath and you reclaim a lot of storage space, it's rock steady and you set it to whatever height you need(obviously do it first before putting in on the brackets)

works great if you then wall mount your monitors.

My desk at present is an IKEA tabletop (big one) and I just bought two legs. Put together in minutes, rock steady, looks slick and cost me like €35

I just have it going along a wall in my PC room, used some other IKEA things to optimise storage and space in corners etc.

Really depends on your budget and the space you have available.

That's great thanks for the advice man! I'll put up a picture later on and see what you think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'm very happy with my Ikea Linnmon desk with Adils legs.

Total cost was €57 I think.

It's 3 desks put together to fit the way I wanted. Each individual desk is 1 metre long and 60cm wide & can support 50kg each.

Best part is it's modular so if I scratch the shít out of one desk I can get a new one for €9 and reuse the old legs. I love Ikea! :)

Just after I put it together:

VLWWX8y.jpg?1

With PC etc on it:

3ctiBba.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

10-1 the fish have gaming names ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Skerries wrote: »
    10-1 the fish have gaming names ;)

haha nah, I don't have any fish in them yet. Both were only acquired recently. My 180litre main tank downstairs tho, none of them have names apart from greedy 1 eyed Freddy :D

IKEa is really the go to play for PC desks. Ironically not their actual designated PC desks, but as you have, the modular options, where you essentially just make your own.

Minimal effort and minimal cost.

The desk Misky has there, you see in a lot of places as a prepackage that costs in excess of €150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Ikea makes good lego desks, not the best pics till i take a brighter one.
    GzqeSqVl.jpg
    3DGL2o9l.jpg

I really like the simplicity of yours Misky, I'm considering doing something with my own place along similar lines.

Skatedude's mancave is giving me a pang of the green eyed monster for a lot of reasons, that looks like a fantastic setup!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Cant go wrong with the ikea Fredde desk. Love mine.

Advertisement