Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet

Options
  • 02-12-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering about getting our 23 month old a tablet for Christmas. I don't want her to be on it all the time tho!

Anyone got any reviews on them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My goddaughter is a similar age and uses an iPad and loves it. There are some very good apps for them to help them learn.

She is not in it all the time but it's great when we are out having something to eat or in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering about getting our 23 month old a tablet for Christmas. I don't want her to be on it all the time tho!

Anyone got any reviews on them??

God I wouldn't waste my money.
    . One drop on the floor and your adding anything up to 150 euro for a new screen.

I'd wait until they are older.

They will be surrounded by technology for the rest of their lives I'd let them be children for a while longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Our 3 year old is used to ipad and kindle fire - has been since he was about 2 ( but he doesnt watch tele, so it's ok :P). Also he doesnt have free reign over it, we're always supervising when hes playing with it.

I find the kindle better for free apps, the ipad has greater choice of apps but pretty much everything is a lot more expensive, whereas you still find a lot more decent apps for android for free. For some reason i also trust amazon more than apple with the purchasing process, but that's just me :o i also find the parental controls easier on the kindle.

That said, the ipad is much nicer for facetime with the grandparents, skype simply doesnt have the video quality.:o in terms of handling, the ipad is easier, but that also means your toddler can mess up your stuff (email, contacts, facebook) a lot easier. :rolleyes:

Kindle is a good bit cheaper than the ipad tho.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wouldn't get an ipad.
    Samsung Galaxy Kids is awesome.

My 22 month old mostly uses my phone or Motorola Xoom which is now ancient,we have an ipad too but I have never been a fan.

The Nexus 7 or 9 is worth a look too as is the Nabi Tab or any decent Android tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I would get one for the family, or for Mammy and Daddy and let them use it occasionally, rather than letting it be theirs.

Whatever you get, get a decent protective case for it. We've had a tablet since our eldest was born, and she is an absolute whizz at it, I'd recommend to anyone. I've dropped it myself and broken the screen once...

As for ipad vs other argument, there is a bigger range of applications for the apple models, simply because it's the market leader. The others will be less money, for just as good, or better quality tablet... but without the range of apps. So it's a toss up really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

My daughter has the nabi. It bounces well. Very user friendly.
    educational apps story's games piano drums etc. She can use it better than us

It also has a micro sd slot for movies

100% recommend

She will be three in April. It only comes out for 20 mins and only if she asks for it

Advertisement