Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 yr grad visa San Diego.

Options
  • 02-12-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

Plenty of useful stuff on the forum about 1 yr grad visa.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with San Diego for a year?

Accommodation-wise can someone give me some pointers beyond Craigslist?
    Want to live as close as possible to the beach for $900 max a month.

Jobs-wise what should I be looking at? Should I be firing out endless CVs to every company under the sun? I think there are a few job placement outfits that are supposed to be good?

My course was in IT fyi but seems job doesnt really have to be linked to that.

Thanks for help guys...

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

$900 a month is going to be a tough budget. Craigslist is usually your best bet, however you can also check out sdpropertymanager.com; they have a nice searching tool. Also, take a look at sharing an apartment, that would probably be more reasonable on your price. Most 1 bedrooms rent for about $1,100 - $1,500 and 2 bedrooms rent for about $1,800 - $2,000 around San Diego. The beach areas are very popular so I'm sure the prices will rise ever so slightly there.

When are you planning on moving out? The start of the summer can be super busy with student renters which can cause nightmares. I would recommend trying to move out sometime before then or after the summer/college rush.

What visa are you on? I don't think I'm familiar with any graduate visas where you can choose any job you like, they all require you to stay within your field. At the end of the day, that's the point of your visa: to gain valuable work experience while living in another country. Work on perfecting your CV. Step 1, it's called a resume here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 powly

Thanks for this.

Ye I mean I guess I could stretch to $1,000 if the right place came up.

I was thinking to get back out here sometime in March.

The grad visa allows for work within your field of study but IT is so broad that I can more or less link it in with whatever I can get.

I met an Irish guy out here who had done something similar and ended up in sales - very little to do with IT. As far as I understand as long as your job links to one subject you have done it's acceptable and I did an entrepreneurship module as part of the course.

Obviously it would be nice to get something that's in line with what I've done but failing that I'd work most jobs.

P

Advertisement