Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 18's starting a business?

Options
  • 02-12-2014 10:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

I have an idea for an internet based business, however I am under 18. I have a few questions.

Is it possible for a minor to start a business?
    What legal procedures will I need to go through?
    How does one go about starting a business?
    Do i need a license?
    Can i receive income (From Adsence etc.) without having a business registered?
    Im also assuming i'd want it to be a LLC registered business?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

> Is it possible for a minor to start a business?
    Yes, happens all the time.

> What legal procedures will I need to go through?
    > How does one go about starting a business?
    I'm not the person to answer these.

> Do i need a license?
    Not for a business in general. But there are some specific types of business that do need licenses.

> Can i receive income (From Adsence etc.) without having a business registered?
    From AdSense, yes. Lots of sole traders (from a tax perspective) do. But I cannot remember if there is an age limit for Adsense signups. And you need to have your website established before you apply for AdSense.

> Im also assuming i'd want it to be a LLC registered business?
    Why - do you have a lot of assets that you need to protect?
    The only reason I can think of is if you need a .ie domain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

> Is it possible for a minor to start a business?
    Yes, happens all the time.

> What legal procedures will I need to go through?
    > How does one go about starting a business?
    I'm not the person to answer these.

> Do i need a license?
    Not for a business in general. But there are some specific types of business that do need licenses.

> Can i receive income (From Adsence etc.) without having a business registered?
    From AdSense, yes. Lots of sole traders (from a tax perspective) do. But I cannot remember if there is an age limit for Adsense signups. And you need to have your website established before you apply for AdSense.

I was under the impression that with an LLC registered business, you couldn't lose more than you put into the business?

Will I need to declare taxes etc. since I am under 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

Whether you need a limited company, depends on level of risk - but yes it would mean that you do not have to vouch with your personal assets if the business goes south - NB banks will still look for a personal guarantee for any business loan so you (or your parents as may be the case) would not be off the hook there. There is a bit of a higher cost associated with a limited company as opposed to sole trader (set-up, accounts etc). If you register limited company then the company - an independent legal entity pays the taxes in any event. As for you personally, just note that you cannot be a company director if not over 18. I am not aware of income tax situation for under 18s.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

This has nothing to do with a .ie domain - if you want a .ie domain you can just register a business name and use the RBN to register the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Not sure about the taxation side of things, but you do need to be 18 or older to register a business name or incorporate a company. At least that used to be the case when registering a business name, may have changed. You definitely have to be over 18 to incorporate a company.

If you need to register a business name for the purposes of a .ie domain, just get a family member to register it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Being under 18 makes no difference for tax: if you have income, you have a tax-liability.

Sounds unfair .. until you think what parents with cash would loan to their children do if there was a kiddie exemption.

Advertisement