Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home brew beginners!!!!

Options
  • 02-12-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    question for ye experts. I am newbie on this and just about to make my first batch. I got a can of Coopers IPA, and they recommended BREW ENCHANCER........suppose to give me a malty taste??? Heres the questions.
    1. is dry malt extract the same as brew enhancer?
    For which the can recommended 500g of light dry malt and then 300g of dextrose/sugar.
    2. So is the sugar inclued in the brew enchancer (as it is called a different name) and also the fact the person who sold same told me I didnt require sugar.
    3. Is the sugar ordinary table sugar or isit brewing sugar.
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

joejobrien wrote: »
    they recommended BREW ENCHANCER
    Of course they do. They make it. Never trust anything written on or near a kit. That's rule 1.
    1. is dry malt extract the same as brew enhancer?
    No, it's superior. Enhancer usually has sugar mixed in and it's best not to use large amounts of sugar in a kit. Use a kilo of extract with a kit and no enhancer and no sugar.
    2. So is the sugar inclued in the brew enchancer
    Yes, but don't use sugar, don't use enhancer. Because of the sugar.
    3. Is the sugar ordinary table sugar or isit brewing sugar.
    Tends to be dextrose, aka glucose, aka "Brewing sugar", but it's still sugar. Use in small doses eg for priming, but not as a main fermentable. Or at least, if you do use it as a main fermentable, don't be surprised if your beer turns out thin and cidery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Good answers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Thanks Beernut for that.
    you live and learn!!!! Therefore better get dry malt extract instead and return the enhancer so.
    No doubt I will be back again.
    Should I follow whos instruction??????? any ideas.
    Again thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Presumably for kits designed to be augmented with sugar, using malt-extract instead will give the beer a maltier profile (particularly if you use LME). Obviously kit brewing is question of compromises anyway...

Should I follow whos instruction??????? any ideas.
    There are lots of kit brewing instructions on homebrew sites around the web. Google for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BeerNut wrote: »
    There are lots of kit brewing instructions on homebrew sites around the web. Google for them.

or just use these ones

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thelaoislad

my first kit was the same , Coopers IPA...I used LME ,1kg, supplied to me by the Homebrewcompany where i got all me gear to start with ..wasnt too sure if I was been given the right stuff ,as it was all new to me ..
    But they did give me good advice!
    Followed the instruction on the Homebrewcompany website , not the so much the kit instructions.
    Long story short, popped the first bottle 2 nights ago , and it was V nice ..
    I think it was better that some of the dodgy craft beer IPA bottles Ive sampled..not as good as the premium brands of ipa i know, but easy to drink all the same .
    I was delighted with it .
    Nice ruby colour, and very good head retention ..couldnt believe it ..

I rehydrated the yeast in 100ml water at ~~35oC
    It was in FV for 2 days at steady 20 -21 oC , 2nd Fv for 2-3 days to settle stuff out , then I bottled it with about half T spoon ordinary table sugar .
    Left the bottles in 20oC again for 2 weeks , based on loyatemu's advice( Tks by the way !) , then moved it to the garage at about 8-10oC for week and half before I sample one ..
    I can only figure that it will improve some more over next few wks , if i can stay away from it !
    So like Beernut said , follow some proper instructions , not so much the kit ..that worked for me ayway

It was in FV for 2 days at steady 20 -21 oC , 2nd Fv for 2-3 days to settle stuff out
    Typo, or did you really finish it in five days?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thelaoislad

yep , ment 2 weeks in fv .. cant type at alll

my first kit was the same , Coopers IPA...I used LME ,1kg, supplied to me by the Homebrewcompany where i got all me gear to start with ..wasnt too sure if I was been given the right stuff ,as it was all new to me ..
    But they did give me good advice!
    Followed the instruction on the Homebrewcompany website , not the so much the kit instructions.
    Long story short, popped the first bottle 2 nights ago , and it was V nice ..
    I think it was better that some of the dodgy craft beer IPA bottles Ive sampled..not as good as the premium brands of ipa i know, but easy to drink all the same .
    I was delighted with it .
    Nice ruby colour, and very good head retention ..couldnt believe it ..

I rehydrated the yeast in 100ml water at ~~35oC
    It was in FV for 2 days at steady 20 -21 oC , 2nd Fv for 2-3 days to settle stuff out , then I bottled it with about half T spoon ordinary table sugar .
    Left the bottles in 20oC again for 2 weeks , based on loyatemu's advice( Tks by the way !) , then moved it to the garage at about 8-10oC for week and half before I sample one ..
    I can only figure that it will improve some more over next few wks , if i can stay away from it !
    So like Beernut said , follow some proper instructions , not so much the kit ..that worked for me ayway
    Thats great. I have mine on here for the last 2 days , so heres hoping for the same results. enjoy

• Advertisement

With regards leaving the fementer for a week, is there anything to be gained for extending the time for another few days or a week and then the same again for the next fementer?
    Thanks

Two weeks in the same fermenter will do grand.

Just an update, The beer is in storagefor approxclose on 4 months. It has defintly improved with age. Early jan it wasnt really what i expected but has improved 100 %
    So much so Im going to put on another batch.
    Could ye guys recommend something like an irish red ale.
    Afew neighbours have sampled my first batch and this spured me on for a quality no 2 beer
    Thanks for your help in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Best red I've done is st Peters ruby red. As a straight kit it's superb ( let it age 6 weeks of so )

Thanks for that.
    However there( the homebrew co.) are out of stock Any other recomendations please?

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Geterbrewed.ie: St. Peters Ruby Red

Advertisement