Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary School recommendations

Options
  • 02-12-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

We have moved to Dun Laoghaire and I have 2 boys. I want to get applications in for secondary schools and looking for recommendations of either boys or mixed shools, fee paying or public within easy travel. appreciate some feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

tricky99 wrote: »
    We have moved to Dun Laoghaire and I have 2 boys. I want to get applications in for secondary schools and looking for recommendations of either boys or mixed shools, fee paying or public within easy travel. appreciate some feedback.

Are they currently in primary school?

If so then this may influence your decision. Places in boys schools are in short supply in the Dun Laoghaire area.

Free you have Clonkeen, Newpark (mixed), Cabinteely Community school (mixed) St Laurences Loughlinstown (mixed) or at a stretch Oatlands Stillorgan (mixed)

Fee paying you get CBC Monkstown, Blackrock College, St Andrews.

Free Gaelscoils are Colaiste Eoin for boys

I can only talk about Clonkeen (I went there!!) and Colaiste Eoin (one of the kids went there) Both excellent schools at present but both now hard to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You also have Holy Child Community School in Sallynoggin which is not a fee paying one.

I've enrolled my eldest in Clonkeen this year. They are due to start a huge development in the next year to expand the school.

Out of the suggested schools above I definitely would not recommend St Laurences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You also have Holy Child Community School in Sallynoggin which is not a fee paying one.

I've enrolled my eldest in Clonkeen this year. They are due to start a huge development in the next year to expand the school.

Out of the suggested schools above I definitely would not recommend St Laurences.

forgot about Holy Child.:o

As a matter of interest do you know if Clonkeen will be expanding their intake or is the project purely to improve the existing infrastructure..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    forgot about Holy Child.:o

As a matter of interest do you know if Clonkeen will be expanding their intake or is the project purely to improve the existing infrastructure..

Their intake is to increase by a small percentage, I think they said in around 10% at the open night, but they are looking at roughly doubling the size of the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Where abouts in Dún Laoghaire ? If you are handy to the Dart you could look from Bray to Ballsbridge in reality

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It has been another contributor to the decline of Dun Laoghaire - as the population aged in the 80s and early 90s the area lost three major secondary schools and now kids are commuting distances and adding to traffic. Now schools are needed again and a new school somewhere like Georges Place where there is land for it and close to the DART and buses would be ideal.

I have personal experience of Oatlands College which is about 20 mins from DL on the frequent 46a service, and i would highly recommend it for your two lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am a past pupil in Newpark Comprehensive School and they recently opened their new main school building last Monday (1st December) and it looks fantastic so far meaning the rest of the site is not finished yet. A pity I wasn't in it though when I left a few years ago. :(

Good luck with the applications. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭spillit67

Really depends what you are after and if you are willing to pay. The school websites and wikipedia pages generally have good info on schools. Follow their twitter accounts as well as you get a good sense of what is going in these places day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Agree about St Laurences, check out the schooldays website for the amount of kids that progress to university after doing their leaving cert , not good. Its a pity as the school itself is quite nice and is very close to us here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement