Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just seen something really strange

Options
  • 02-12-2014 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

I was casually sitting in my conservatory watching tv , the blinds were pulled up so I had a clear view of the sky , tonight was clear so I had a perfect view , I was watching tv , then at the corner of my eye I see a slow bright light shoot across the sky , I've seen meteor showers before and this wasn't anything like it . It was quite big , it could only describe it as meteor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

I was casually sitting in my conservatory watching tv , the blinds were pulled up so I had a clear view of the sky , tonight was clear so I had a perfect view , I was watching tv , then at the corner of my eye I see a slow bright light shoot across the sky , I've seen meteor showers before and this wasn't anything like it . It was quite big , it could only describe it as meteor.

Saw the very same thing myself and was wondering if it was a meteor. It was falling in a southerly direction. It was very bright. Lost sight of it as it went behind the roofs of the houses based in sallies myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Like this thing was really bright , it really stood out in the sky , it was moving slow enough that you could watch it's track , it was really weird .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Scared Hitless

I believe fallen meteorites are very valuable if you can find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

iss ?? or a satellite maybe?

My bet is it's a meteorite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

My bet is it's a meteorite

Yeah. I think it was as well. Also think it may have made it to ground judging by the angle it was coming down at.

How would you go about finding it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

You guys saw a fireball! Large meteor :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Scared Hitless

How would you go about finding it ..

It could be many miles away from you. You would nearly need to see the impact. It would also get buried if it hit soil/bog.

Ahh o well , it brought abit of excitement to my evening ! I'm happy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Isn't it obvious? The invasion has finally begun. And I for one welcome our new alien overlords...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Saw it as well. Moving south over Dublin mountains. Impossible to tell how high it was or where it would have landed, if it didn't fully burn up.

Never seen anything like it in my life , are they rare ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Oh I may have seen it as well, I saw something really bright crossing the sky as I was driving through Phoenix Park about a half hour ago. Thought it looked like one of those Chinese lantern things but it was too big and bright for that. I got distracted then watching out for deer in the dark :o

I'm based in Tipperary

Im no expert, but I've seen a couple.

There's constantly objects entering the atmosphere and burning up. If you ever sit out in an isolated area on a clear night you'll see tons of 'shooting stars' which are just meteorides entering the atmosphere. Reading on wiki there they're typically moving at over 20km/second so if I saw this tonight for 1-1.5 seconds thats a lot of area it could land.

I'm based in Tipperary

Well if you're in Tipp and saw it moving south and I'm in Dublin and saw it moving south it mightn't even have been over ireland.

Weird , ya it was cool to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lostpas5235

I saw it while cycling home from college, I'm just south of Cork city and it appeared to be south east of me. When it caught my eye it looked like it was falling vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The astronomy forum might be yer best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I saw it too just before 22.00.

I was in Cork City travelling in a West-to-East direction in the car when what I thought was a firework caught my eye in the southern sky. It was no firework.

It was the best meteor I've ever caught sight of and I've seen a good few as I have very movement sensitive vision and tend to look up a lot on clear nights. It was a very bright bluey-white fireball with a long tail zipping through the sky.

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Moved to Astronomy from Weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Saw it also. From my view out my window in Sandyford it was heading in the direction of Stepaside. I would be very supprised if it made it to the ground though. When you think of how bright a standard shooting star is, and the material is only very small, grain of sand up to small gravel in size, even though this looked very bright, the material may not have been any bigger than a mans fist and that would almost certainly burn up before hitting the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

likely a flaring satellite---meteors move much much quicker

edit---didn't realise there was second page of observers---prob was a meteor but if nobody heard anything then meteorite recovery is unlikely to the point of NOPE

Advertisement