Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these 3 Bench Drills?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

To be honest I wouldn't buy a drill press without variable speed. You will want to change speeds all the time and its a nuisance having to open the top of the unit and change belts.
    I have a Ryobi DL121L with digital readout and laser which is great if a little underpowered.It will do most things but start to struggle with any bit over 40 mm as its only 390 watt.
    Its hard to understand why drill press are so pricey but I'd go for variable speed and as much power as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Maple77

I think all of the above have variable speed, no ?

Anyone have any experience of any of them ?

Maple77 wrote: »
    I think all of the above have variable speed, no ?

Anyone have any experience of any of them ?

Variable speed means having a lever to pull to increase/decrease speed. With all of the above drills you have to open the top of the unit and change the belt on two pulley wheels.
    In fairness, my Ryobi is actually the 553OL and it seems very difficult to get ( I bought my from www.rutlands.co.uk ) However I see one going on adverts.ie for 150 euro. Just to be aware also that the chuck is 13mm - you need a bigger motor to get a 16mm chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TimmyE

I had access to a Warco lathe a number (4-5) of years ago. It was an outstanding bit of kit, not quite to the same level as a Myford but certainly well made and robust. Can't comment on the above drill but if the lathe was any thing to go by, it should be good.

TimmyE wrote: »
    I had access to a Warco lathe a number (4-5) of years ago. It was an outstanding bit of kit, not quite to the same level as a Myford but certainly well made and robust. Can't comment on the above drill but if the lathe was any thing to go by, it should be good.

Warco are British branded but made in China. they seem robust ( I have looked at their gear in the UK ) but a little unrefined - but so is everything made in China these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Have the older blue record version of that one mine looks a fair bit bigger in fairness. the pulleys are super easy to change over, however the motor isnt up to much, if your doing regular work with it. i had mine set up for cutting plugs the whole time but unfortunately the motor packed it in.

Advertisement