Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data on o2

Options
  • 02-12-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have an o2 basic smart phone on prepay. I want to listen to the radio via the RTE adio app ( the fm just has terrible reception, plus i live in a city so signal is good ).
    This the only internet I wish or want - literally I will never used the internet on the phone than 1 hr per week to listen to the radio.

Can anyone tell me how much this will cost on pre pay ? I dont want to buy an ad for tons of MB I will never use.
    So to sum up, I turn data on for 1 hr, on O2 prepay and listen to the rte radio app how much will it cost me - no ad ons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have an o2 basic smart phone on prepay. I want to listen to the radio via the RTE adio app ( the fm just has terrible reception, plus i live in a city so signal is good ).
    This the only internet I wish or want - literally I will never used the internet on the phone than 1 hr per week to listen to the radio.

Can anyone tell me how much this will cost on pre pay ? I dont want to buy an ad for tons of MB I will never use.
    So to sum up, I turn data on for 1 hr, on O2 prepay and listen to the rte radio app how much will it cost me - no ad ons.

The RTE Radio app claims to stream at around 128kbps. This means that 1 hour of radio will use about 57MBytes. It might be a bit more, with overheads and re-transmission of drop-outs etc. The basic O2 tariff without add-ons appears to charge €1 for the first 50MBytes, and €1 PER MBYTE ABOVE THAT!. Hence you will pay €1 for the first 50 mins of radio, and around €7 for the last 10 minutes! This is very approximate - you could easily go over by a few € without noticing it.

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/uploads/pdfs/terms/consumer/Other-Prepay-charges-290413-fnl-docx%20%282%29_pc.pdf

....DON'T DO IT! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Cool, detailed and exactly what I asked for. Thank you!!!!

Can I ask another question, If I buy an add on does the add on expire after a time ? or after I have used it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

jogdish wrote: »
    Cool, detailed and exactly what I asked for. Thank you!!!!

Can I ask another question, If I buy an add on does the add on expire after a time ? or after I have used it up?

I don't use O2, but as far as I can see from their website the add-ons expire after a month. This is pretty standard for add-ons on other networks too.

All the networks seem to be trying to persuade users who want voice and data to go for a minimum of around €20 per month. The O2 data add-ons don't look like particularly good value - particularly considering that they don't even have 4G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

O2 is probably has the worse data charges. I've been considering getting a dual sim phone so I can use another sim for data, but my O2 one for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Before you give it more thoughts, have you tried the app and made sure it works fine? I left them 2 months ago but one annoying thing with O2 prepaid was that they were doing strange traffic shaping which was interfering with some audio streaming protocols. I can't specifically remember about RTE, but basically I got used to connecting to a VPN server before starting any radio application (to encrypt the data and override their traffic shaping), as otherwise the radio stream would keep getting cut-off and resuming after a few seconds. O2 are not admitting to doing this but this but it was reported by a few people here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement