Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing (DT211) vs Computer science (228)

Options
  • 03-12-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am an aspiring software engineer, and when i complete my leaving cert this year i am choosing TUD (tech uni Dublin) as the place to go, the question is what are the primary differences between computing and computer science, i also have to ask how are your grades decided in DIT? are they CA or standard examination or a mixture of both with bias towards one or the other. Witch is the more "practical" one. What can i expect of these two coarses, and finally what are the drop out rates of these coarses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I am an aspiring software engineer, and when i complete my leaving cert this year i am choosing TUD (tech uni Dublin) as the place to go, the question is what are the primary differences between computing and computer science, i also have to ask how are your grades decided in DIT? are they CA or standard examination or a mixture of both with bias towards one or the other. Witch is the more "practical" one. What can i expect of these two coarses, and finally what are the drop out rates of these coarses.
    little differences , a little bit more hardware and networking in computing.
    Very similar modules and towards 3 and 4 years , we mix
    One of the main differences was that computing did 2 days a week work experiences in 3 and 4th year and comp sci did 6/7 months full time in 3rd year
    Computing is going to follow suit.

Nobody has ever called university, uni. Go off to england :)

mix of cas and exams which are at christmas and summer

each module is weighted differently , most modules are between 30 and 50% cas and some filler modules are 100% ca

Computing is a tad more practical i think

Drop out rate is small in computing and i presume the same in comp sci
    There about 17% who leave of their own free will or fail i would say(if you fail you can repeat the module ,next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wazad93

hi,

i would say for yourself put Comp science (DT228) ahead of DT211 because you said you wanted to be a software engineer.
    DT228 is heavily focused on software engineering and the placement would also allocate more places in a software engineering sector over DT211 which would have limited places as they would be looking for networking and it positions.

the modules in DT228 do not include networking if you were in interested in that which certifies you with CISCO as you do exams with them.

like the person above stated Ca is mixed mainly 70 towards exams and 30 towards CA and with programming it is heavily associated with CA as its 50/50 and you have to pass the written exam also.

in DT228 web development is started in first year whereas in DT211 its started in year 2.
    the lecturers would be the same for the two courses.

hope that helps.

Advertisement