Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Coach - NEW Waterford - Kilkenny - Dublin Service from 16th December

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Ah so when these new buses wear out that will be the end of it for bus Eireann in waterford? Also I personally wouldn't know how free pass holders feel about either service as generally they are hard to spot or distinguish from other bus passengers. Where have you noticed the negative talk from pass holders and how did you identity them as pass holders?

All I have heard about it lately is that it is very quiet and that people don't trust the times especially going through Kilkenny city at busy times. There was some Carlow people worried before the service started but that was down to a bus Eireann driver spouting lies and nonsense on the 004 service about how Dublin coach were taking over that route and free passes would not be accepted anymore. This same driver used to tell his passengers not to book with JJ kavanaghs as they might not be in business for the return journey!

Easy chicken, have I ruffled your feathers?

Where did I say they would end their service I said cut back (curtail / reduce / scale back)

BE have been badly hit in other routes when privates launch non stop which ultimately means BE make less money so I can see why travel pass holders are worried, so his conspiracy theory is not completely crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Easy chicken, have I ruffled your feathers?

Where did I say they would end their service I said cut back (curtail / reduce / scale back)

BE have been badly hit in other routes when privates launch non stop which ultimately means BE make less money so I can see why travel pass holders are worried, so his conspiracy theory is not completely crazy

Ha I haven't had the luxury of feathers for years! More a broiler than a chicken:-)

Although BE are cutting back some services and have been struggling on some routes where privates have started non stop express services this situation is quite different and more unusual because Carlow and Kilkenny are thrown into the mix.

The traditional Waterford route is covered very well by JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann and they also cover the Kilkenny/clonmel route quite well especially for providing service to locals in need of a stage carriage service. What Dublin coach offer is a more or less express service Waterford/Kilkenny to Dublin. They do not serve Dublin airport! Both JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann serve the airport from Waterford and Carlow and JJ kavanaghs serve it from clonmel.

Carlow is probably busier than Kilkenny with passengers to either Waterford or Dublin so why did they not look for a service through Carlow and they could have full buses every two hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Urethra Franklin

Carlow is probably busier than Kilkenny with passengers to either Waterford or Dublin so why did they not look for a service through Carlow and they could have full buses every two hours?

Says the Carlowman ;)

Says the Carlowman ;)
    I'm a lily white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ha I haven't had the luxury of feathers for years! More a broiler than a chicken:-)

Although BE are cutting back some services and have been struggling on some routes where privates have started non stop express services this situation is quite different and more unusual because Carlow and Kilkenny are thrown into the mix.

The traditional Waterford route is covered very well by JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann and they also cover the Kilkenny/clonmel route quite well especially for providing service to locals in need of a stage carriage service. What Dublin coach offer is a more or less express service Waterford/Kilkenny to Dublin. They do not serve Dublin airport! Both JJ kavanaghs and bus Eireann serve the airport from Waterford and Carlow and JJ kavanaghs serve it from clonmel.

Because Carlow already has M9 services with JJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Because Carlow already has M9 services with JJ kavanagh

road_high wrote: »
    Because Carlow already has M9 services with JJ kavanagh
    Carlow also has a direct M9/M7 service to Dublin airport and 75 minute journey to Waterford with Bus Éireann. JJ Kavanaghs have only recently changed their timetable to provide more express services to and from both Dublin Airport and Waterford. So for the NTA it is ok to have several express services between Waterford and Dublin as long as they all take a different route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Because there is no city in carlow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've used this bus twice. The first time, I was the only person on the bus the whole way to Kilkenny. The second time was on a Friday at 2 (peak students going home time) and there was me and maybe ten to fifteen students but I think most would agree that at that time on a Friday there would be sufficient demand from students alone to fill the bus if enough people knew about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

has anyone used this recently? have numbers increased, only I saw a minibus on he route yesterday on the M9.
    I would of thought NYE would have been a busy day.

patrickc wrote: »
    has anyone used this recently? have numbers increased, only I saw a minibus on he route yesterday on the M9.
    I would of thought NYE would have been a busy day.

I use it fairly regularly, it's often packed especially on Friday and Sunday evenings. They often fill a double decker on the 5 o clock Sunday service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

thelad95 wrote: »
    I use it fairly regularly, it's often packed especially on Friday and Sunday evenings. They often fill a double decker on the 5 o clock Sunday service

unusual so, maybe they were struggling with coaches so

patrickc wrote: »
    unusual so, maybe they were struggling with coaches so

They've probably been running the service long enough to know which times are busiest and along with pre bookings they can get an idea when there will be a low number of passengers.

They also have a new service running towards Kerry so I presume they're trying to prioritise busier services.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The mini coach is usually used in addition to a bigger coach if extra capacity is needed, or as a shuttle bus for staff.

Anytime I have seen it at the red cow or in Waterford it has been empty or only a few on board. that would have been late evening/night time in Dublin or during the day in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Is there a pot to piss in? Can I eat a beautiful Toasted Roll outside it?

These are the important C&T questions. Everything else is just detail.

Ignore the teatime traffic. It's an illusion.

Advertisement