Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speeds have slowed

Options
  • 03-12-2014 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, So I have been with eircom, and fairly satisfied with things. Just agreed to stay with yourselves for that reason.

When we signed up we were told speeds would be up to 7mb download speeds(never got near that due to line limitations, but would often get 3.5mb and sometimes more, but always at least a full 3mb download and that was acceptable)

Now, since we have agreed to stay with you we got a letter thanking us for that decision whilst telling us our maximum speed is 3mb, we never agreed to a change in our supposed maximum speed, so now rather than getting 3.5mb we get 2.5mb at most, more often 2.3 to 2.4mb. So our loyalty is rewarded with a disimprovement in the service we receive?

If I were getting decent, fast broadband a drop in download of 1mb might not be significant, but its huge when our download speeds are so slow to start with.

It's actually barely working at all now, dial-up would be considerably faster than how its been since yesterday morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its actually dropped to unusable speeds since yesterday, at times its under 1mb download, currently I can't use it for even low quality Netflix which was never a problem

Not even fast enough to load twitter now.

Would do you a Speedtest to show you, but my connection is too slow to even connect to the site.

Look forward to your reply hopefully not long after you log on at 12pm. Quite worrying the recent drop in speeds, but even more concerning the speed yesterday and today that mean I cant use it even for basic internet browsing, not a prayer of doing anything else with it. An app update of 10mb on my tablet via wifi stalled at 48% after an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Look forward to your reply hopefully not long after you log on at 12pm. Quite worrying the recent drop in speeds, but even more concerning the speed yesterday and today that mean I cant use it even for basic internet browsing, not a prayer of doing anything else with it. An app update of 10mb on my tablet via wifi stalled at 48% after an hour!
    Very sorry to hear of this Dozen Wicked Words

Please do feel free to PM m your eirocm land line number and I'll run some tests to check for possible issues.

Thanks
    AL

• Advertisement

Pm sent

Pm sent

Hi Dozen Wicked Words

I have run a number of tests and there is nothing I can attribute the issues to. There are no faults on your line and the connection internally also seems to be perfect, There is also no sign of interference.

I have discussed this with technical support who have advised me to ask you to contact them as they can run much further tests in identifying and resolving the issues.

Technical support can be contacted on 1890260260 or via webchat at eircom.net

I would also like to advise that if you are using the service wirelessly (wifi) please connected vias Ethernet cable and run the tests again.

I'm sorry I could not offer you a solution

Thanks

Al

Your technical department have been pretty poor so far, the gentleman we were speaking to struggled to understand us, to be fair, we struggled with his accent too. So far I've had the turn it off/on. Plug laptop direct into router which I've done. Turn off every wifi enabled device, which I've done. Plug router directly into wall rather than the splitter filter. Zero difference. They insist on three speed tests, currently I have download speeds of, wait for it, 0.05 mbits per second. So not sure how they expect me to get 3 speed tests (here's a hint, I can't). They also said they needed to do a line test despite us telling him repeatedly you had done one with no faults.

Maybe you could suggest what I'm supposed to say to the tech department, because we are going round in circles.

Tech guy: You need 3 speed tests
    Us: But we can't do 3
    Tech guy: Yes but we can't do anything if you don't give us 3 speed tests
    Us: but we can't even do 1, let alone 3
    Tech guy: We don't need 1, we need 3

etc etc etc.

Not sure if you can guess how frustrating that conversation was?

Your technical department have been pretty poor so far, the gentleman we were speaking to struggled to understand us, to be fair, we struggled with his accent too. So far I've had the turn it off/on. Plug laptop direct into router which I've done. Turn off every wifi enabled device, which I've done. Plug router directly into wall rather than the splitter filter. Zero difference. They insist on three speed tests, currently I have download speeds of, wait for it, 0.05 mbits per second. So not sure how they expect me to get 3 speed tests (here's a hint, I can't). They also said they needed to do a line test despite us telling him repeatedly you had done one with no faults.

Maybe you could suggest what I'm supposed to say to the tech department, because we are going round in circles.

Tech guy: You need 3 speed tests
    Us: But we can't do 3
    Tech guy: Yes but we can't do anything if you don't give us 3 speed tests
    Us: but we can't even do 1, let alone 3
    Tech guy: We don't need 1, we need 3

etc etc etc.

Not sure if you can guess how frustrating that conversation was?
    I am very sorry to hear this Dozen Wicked Words

I highly recommend our technical support instant WebChat service at eircom.net - just go to the homepage of the site and an orange box should appear located to the left of the page inviting you to chat now.

Please ensure you run speed tests when connected directly to the modem instead of wifi as speeds are advised upon direct connection.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement