Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst hospitals/specialties for Intern year

Options
  • 03-12-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who has been through Intern year in Ireland has any advice on which hospitals should be avoided if possible and which jobs make life easier or more difficult? There are lots of rumours about certain hospitals not paying overtime and certain jobs being a bit of a nightmare. I'd like to stay in Dublin but with an average 2.2 (or C) grade, a lot of time in peripheral hospitals may be inevitable for me. Has anyone any advice on 'strategy' when choosing intern places for someone with my grades and with more interest in Medicine than Surgery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I would recommend Connolly, you'll be in Dublin all year and you can pick a scheme with only 3 months surgery (3 months psych makes up for the rest) and it's a lovely hospital to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Anybody worked as an intern in Tallagh or the Mater and Want to share their experiences :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anybody worked as an intern in Tallagh or the Mater and Want to share their experiences :D

Have got friends working in both, good experiences all round in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

It's so difficult to know which jobs are competitive! I'm feeling clueless as well about how to pick jobs. Looking forward to getting the list of jobs next week and getting a feel for it! I'd like dublin as well, don't mind what jobs I do. I wouldn't mind 3 or even 6 months outside of dublin, just as long as the teaching is good.

It's so difficult to know which jobs are competitive! I'm feeling clueless as well about how to pick jobs. Looking forward to getting the list of jobs next week and getting a feel for it! I'd like dublin as well, don't mind what jobs I do. I wouldn't mind 3 or even 6 months outside of dublin, just as long as the teaching is good.

I'm pretty much hoping for anything in Dublin, preferably with something like psych or emergency instead of a surgery rotation.

Looking forward to seeing this list, should make for a nice 'productive' excuse from study for an evening or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

I don't think there is a nice orthopaedics internship in the country, avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DocFrustrated

Does anyone know if Galway is a good place for intern year?

Does anyone know if Galway is a good place for intern year?

I'm only applying for intern spots now myself so I don't know how much help I'd be to you! Most of the intern posts in the wst network, about 80% have at least 3 months, mostly 6 in a hospital outside of Galway, sligo, castlebar, letterkenny and portiuncla. There are a fair few non EU interns in Galway atm, so it probably isn't the most competitive of the networks. also UHG does pay you for overtime, so the current interns tell me.They don't have that many nights on call but every once in a while you might have to do a week of nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DocFrustrated

many thanks for the info!!

Nice that we get 50 preferences. We'd been told earlier in the year it was going to be 25.

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything about any of the Anaesthetics internships? The one in the Mater with Cardiology and Resp sounds like it would be just up my street!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Edible

I don't think there is a nice orthopaedics internship in the country, avoid at all costs.

Disagree, Cappagh has a nice ortho job! If you're interested in ortho and don't mind doing theatre that is. Very laid back hospital, no on-call for interns, and at least 1-2 full days in theatre a week!

They seem to have rearranged the hospital links a bit, KK used to be with Tallaght and now it's linked with James's for example! There are so, so many jobs to chose from. Amazing how quickly the 50 fills up though! I can't wait to start internship now. Money! :D Does anyone know about Tullamore or Mullingar? There are a huge amount of specialty jobs - I think I saw anaesthesia in Tallaght as well! Getting no study done this weekend with this haha :)

They seem to have rearranged the hospital links a bit, KK used to be with Tallaght and now it's linked with James's for example! There are so, so many jobs to chose from. Amazing how quickly the 50 fills up though! I can't wait to start internship now. Money! :D Does anyone know about Tullamore or Mullingar? There are a huge amount of specialty jobs - I think I saw anaesthesia in Tallaght as well! Getting no study done this weekend with this haha :)

Did a couple of weeks' elective in Tullamore a few months ago. Very quiet, small hospital, really nice new building. Interns there seemed happy enough. I don't think they do proper call there - just extended days, while the SHOs cover nights. Probably one of the better peripheral rotations, from what I've heard of Wexford and Portlaoise.

I was in wexford and portlaoise, they were grand too. It definitely didn't seem too stressful for the interns and sure it's cheap to rent there for the few months. I suppose any of these peripheral ones are just 3 months so at least you won't suffer for too long ;)

How's everyone getting on? Got my rough list together but haven't even looked into sorting them out in terms of preference yet.

BTW, any non-TCD people feel free to PM me if you're looking at Tallaght and SJH jobs. There are a couple of names to avoid...

I just sort of lost motivation for filling them out after about 35! Really not very discerning at all after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

FYI My intern tells me that Wexford intern call is now an attractive 1 in 3 due to staffing issues

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baspower

what are the odds for the non-eu to land an internship?

baspower wrote: »
    what are the odds for the non-eu to land an internship?

There's a chance, but not a great one unfortunately. Our head of learning told our class that last year, "half of the non-EU students who were in the top third of the class got offered internship".

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    There's a chance, but not a great one unfortunately. Our head of learning told our class that last year, "half of the non-EU students who were in the top third of the class got offered internship".

So non eu students in the top sixth of the class?! We were told that if you were a non eu in the top half of the class you had a good chance of Gett ing a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭baspower

but i suppose there will be a similar uncertainty after the internship, for training schemes?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

The whole system is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

To be fair, the EU/non-EU thing itsn't the fault of the medical recruitment team or the HSE, it's a european union thing. That said, there's still a lot that is a mess.

etymon wrote: »
    I would recommend Connolly, you'll be in Dublin all year and you can pick a scheme with only 3 months surgery (3 months psych makes up for the rest) and it's a lovely hospital to work in.

Took you up on that! Although I'm doing two surgical jobs, one psych, and one medicine.

Lovely not to have to worry about a peripheral rotation, accommodation wise.

Advertisement