Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief on Periodontal treatment

Options
  • 03-12-2014 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    looks like I need to lay out €600 for treatment.

Laya will cover €150 (what a waste of a policy for dental btw)

But for the rest I believe I can claim tax relief, is this true? whats the max I can hope to receive (20% of €450?)

Has anyone claimed this using PAYE Anytime? if so do you get the money in a matter of weeks or do you have to wait until January of the next year.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

If your periodontal treatment falls under the types mentioned on this page you'll be able to claim tax relief of 20% on the amount not covered by Insurance I think

revenue .ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it6.html
    Periodontal Treatment
    Root Planing is a treatment of periodontal (gum) disease. Currettage and Debridement is part of root planing. Gum Flaps is a gum treatment. Chrome Cobalt Splint if used in connection with periodontal treatment (if it contains teeth, relief is not allowable). Implants following treatments of periodontal (gum) disease, which included bone grafting and bone augmentation.

You'll need a med 2 form completed by the practitioner once treatment and payment is completed. You don't need to send the Med 2 Form into revenue but you will need to keep it along with receipts if you are asked to produce them.

I've got a Med 2 form with payments made in 2013 and 2014.
    I don't think I can claim relief on the 2014 payments until next year, sometimes after January, but I can do so for 2013 or back to 4 years.

This site will also help you with the process
    taxcalc .eu/refund/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Great link thank you very much.
    Unsure if i can make this happen though, with Laya

TIP 1.1: Your health insurance Policy renewal date should be on January 1st, if not ask your insurance company to have it changed. Then your policy will be aligned with the tax year making Step 2 much easier in future.

Mine is done through work

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

guile4582 wrote: »
    Great link thank you very much.
    Unsure if i can make this happen though, with Laya

TIP 1.1: Your health insurance Policy renewal date should be on January 1st, if not ask your insurance company to have it changed. Then your policy will be aligned with the tax year making Step 2 much easier in future.

Mine is done through work

I'm not sure it's critical to the claiming process.
    It sounds like it's for convenience more than anything so that if you have medical expenses spread throughout the year, you at least know you are covered from 1st Jan - 31st Dec making it easier for yourself to know what you can claim with your provider.

Whereas if it's from June - May and you didn't renew your cover then you need to figure out that you can only claim on expenses before the policy expired. That's what I take from it anyway.

Advertisement