Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Warden and a little bit of guilt.

• 03-12-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

A neighborhood dog that was following my on-heat dog was taken by the dog warden. I find myself feeling very guilty about this.

I was trying to get the neighborhood dog away from my dog and the dog warden pulled up in his van and took him.

I've seen the dog around, he's small and harmless and does wander around on his own. I know I've seen him with his owner but I don't know who it is. I feel quite bad about the dog warden taking him. Another neighbor got the Warden's card and I took his license plate number (cause I'm paranoid) but I don't know what else to do.

Would anyone have done anything different in the same situation?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wouldn't feel guilty because their dog shouldn't be roaming end of - regardless of whether your dog is in heat in not. Hopefully they'll learn a valuable lesson when they pay the dog's bail to release him out of the pound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The OP owed no duty of care to that dog as he would be responsible for only his own pet.

On the conduct of the warden it depends how the situation plays out. If there is a tag on the dog and the owner is contacted and just given an initial warning to keep the dog from straying, then that is good resolution. On the other hand, going down any route about paying a bail would seem to re-enforce a perception of them acting as revenue agents of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Depends on whether the dog is going to be reclaimed or not, if there is a rescue working with the pound or what their destruction rate is.

You have nothing to feel guilty about as the dog was roaming and the warden is there to provide a service. However you may want to be more careful about walking your in-heat dog where there are going to be other males around. Even normally well secured males will attempt escape to find a bitch in heat.

But I know if it were me I'd be keeping in touch with them and making alternative arrangements for the dog should his owners not reclaim him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Manach wrote: »
    On the other hand, going down any route about paying a bail would seem to re-enforce a perception of them acting as revenue agents of the state.

If everyone bothered to buy a license then I'd agree with you - because the pounds and kenneling fees for the dogs would be taken care of somewhat. This isn't the case though and often people don't take notice of the nuisance and in some cases danger their roaming dog is causing until they're hit where it hurts - their wallet! (This is speaking from experience in my area)..

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I should have stopped him from taking the dog. I just wish I knew who the owners were so I could tell them.
    Toulouse wrote: »
    However you may want to be more careful about walking your in-heat dog where there are going to be other males around.

I'm trying to keep away for areas where other dogs may be, but sometimes they just pop up. I don't want to stop walking her if I can avoid it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement