Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Shed Roof Condensation

Options
  • 03-12-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have just roofed some old stone sheds with a mix of Box Profile steel and Clearlights.

Floors had been concreted but no moisture barrier and stone wall sit directly on ground so lots of moisture. Not a great deal of ventilation in the sheds either.

As you have guessed by now - LOTS OF CONDENSATION.

I need a solution and would greatly appreciate suggestions. I have seen many suggestions online but none that jump out at me as suitable. Everything from carpet underlay glued to underside of sheets to foil insulation on underside also.

There is a large area of clearlights in the shed so whatever solution I go with needs to be transparent or the area of the clearlights need to be transparent.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

pjcarrow wrote: »
    . Not a great deal of ventilation in the sheds either.

As you have guessed by now - LOTS OF CONDENSATION.

You've answered your own question

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

The only solution is used by this steel shed company. They are in Kilbeggan, Co Westmeath. www.shanettesheds.ie

The underside of roof has to be foam insulated. You could add foam under the roof sheets from this company: http://www.econps.ie/

Put clear plastic (which is basically strong,thick bubblewrap!) under the clearlights. Ask shanette sheds about it, you maybe can see it on their website.

Also shed has to be be vented to allow air circulation to remove condensation. Basically cut holes in side walls of shed on either side (As what BryanF said re ventilation!).

Phone them up and they'll explain what to do.

You could add foam under the roof sheets from this company: http://www.econps.ie/

If you get round to doing floor, you can lay membrane on existing floor and lay a few inches of concrete on top to create a new floor. But then that'd probably make a balls of existing door levels etc.

Well that's the long explanation for doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭policarp

You will get a lot of condensation if your concrete floor has only recently been laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

The non-drip material they put on steel cladding doesn't work for low pitched roofs. Its designed for walls.

Last night I was out looking at my steel clad roof I put in a few months ago. Clear parts are condensating onto clear sheet below which in itself is condensating onto floor also. But the bits where I put "Alububble" under sheeting is completely fine.

You could try vents in your doors if you don't like the idea of knocking holes in big stone walls.

Advertisement