Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering the birth (& married abroad)

Options
  • 03-12-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,
    we got married in portugal a few years back (we're both irish) and now with the baby due in the next few weeks we've been told that we need the marriage cert translated into english to register the birth in the hospital. did anyone else do this recently and how much did it cost??
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

hi all,
    we got married in portugal a few years back (we're both irish) and now with the baby due in the next few weeks we've been told that we need the marriage cert translated into english to register the birth in the hospital. did anyone else do this recently and how much did it cost??
    thanks

Could the two of you not just go together with ID and register together? I thought you only show marriage cert if mum was going by herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You don't register the birth in hospital. After the baby is born, you go to the local office which registers births, marriages and deaths to register the birth officially. I think they advise you to wait about two weeks so the information is transferred from hospital to the state system. We brought our marriage cert, but I don't think we needed to show it, they took our word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

[te="lazygal;93295322"]You don't register the birth in hospital. After the baby is born, you go to the local office which registers births, marriages and deaths to register the birth officially. I think they advise you to wait about two weeks so the information is transferred from hospital to the state system. We brought our marriage cert, but I don't think we needed to show it, they took our word for it.[/quote]

is there one hospital where you have to pay 20 for the birth cert.?

Birth certs are 20 euro at the registry offices

Yes you do need to get your marriage cert translated if married in Spain Portugal or similar.we were married in Spain.
    We got word perfect translations in Dublin to translate for us.
    In the registry office
    They took copies of this as we registered all our 3 children.
    First registered in 2010
    Last one 10 weeks ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

We got an international marriage cert in Germany, issued in english, german and french, you only have to hand this in once though, they keep it on record for all following kids.

Lazygal, some hospitals allow you to register birth there and then, without having to go to official registry office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We got married abroad too and also have the international marriage very which shows a few European languages including English. Not sure if you can get this retrospectively but we did have to show our cert when registering our children's births (and my husband was also with me when registering).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

galah wrote: »
    We got an international marriage cert in Germany, issued in english, german and french, you only have to hand this in once though, they keep it on record for all following kids.

Lazygal, some hospitals allow you to register birth there and then, without having to go to official registry office.

Really, which ones?

lazygal wrote: »
    Really, which ones?

Cumh I think

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

Yup CUMH does it mon-fri, the registrar comes around and makes the appt to see you and partner in her office, you need id for both of you and 20 euro not sure about the marriage cert if married overseas. We didn't need it as we were married in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Millem wrote: »
    Could the two of you not just go together with ID and register together? I thought you only show marriage cert if mum was going by herself?

You need to show marriage cert if married abroad but not if married in Ireland. Whether alone or together.

January wrote: »
    You need to show marriage cert if married abroad but not if married in Ireland. Whether alone or together.

Really? We were told if we were married, one of us could just go and show cert and they will put both names on it :confused:

So in theory I could just say I am married to dad and they would put both names on it without marriage certificate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

lazygal wrote: »
    Really, which ones?

UHG as well. Cant remember the opening hours but they have a little office just off the maternity ward.

Really? We were told if we were married, one of us could just go and show cert and they will put both names on it :confused:

So in theory I could just say I am married to dad and they would put both names on it without marriage certificate?

Did you get married abroad millem?

monflat wrote: »
    Did you get married abroad millem?

Sorry I should of said, if we were married in Ireland only one of us had to go with cert, if we were not married both of us had to go.

I rang the office and they checked first that holles street had passed on the details as I didn't want a wasted journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

We got baby registered last year, we were married in Cyprus, so we brought marraige cert, ID and €20. I wasn't asked about having a translated version and tbh I couldn't tell you what language it's in, I haven't looked at it for a while. That was in Mullingar health centre, I'm not sure if different rules apply around the country.

We were never told that.
    I got my marriage cert translated went along to register and just my name is on the birth cert.

They never said my husband had to be there.

.maybe different offices have staff who are maybe a bit awkward regards this.

If you got married in.Ireland they will have all your details on file anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They have access to all your information on the computer in front of them so they do not need your marriage cert in Ireland .

Advertisement