Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Word of mouth worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭weadick

Stupidly left it until now to look for accommodation. Looks like I'll have to pay an absolute fortune. Just wondering if it would be possible to drive up and down on the night or if anyone else is doing it? Would the Luas still be running when the concert finishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,419 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

weadick wrote: »
    Stupidly left it until now to look for accommodation. Looks like I'll have to pay an absolute fortune. Just wondering if it would be possible to drive up and down on the night or if anyone else is doing it? Would the Luas still be running when the concert finishes?
    if you have 3plus rewards you can get a code for roomex.com and get 40% off your booking.

Id say the show will start at about 8pm and end at about 10-10.15pm so they would be plenty of time to the get the luas or drive home

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭weadick

PTH2009 wrote: »
    if you have 3plus rewards you can get a code for roomex.com and get 40% off your booking.

Id say the show will start at about 8pm and end at about 10-10.15pm so they would be plenty of time to the get the luas or drive home

Thanks v much. I actually have 3 plus and didn't know that code was on it! Any recommendations for hotels close to the three?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,419 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thanks v much. I actually have 3 plus and didn't know that code was on it! Any recommendations for hotels close to the three?
    i stayed in a hotel called the clyde court back in april and its about a 20 min drive from the arena. the gibson hotel is next door to the arena, theres also a few hotels on the dublin quays (the spencer hotel, jurys hotel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

There are usually two or three Luas trams waiting to take people back into town after any gig in the 3 Arena. It is very organised and takes under 10 minutes to get back to the city centre once they leave.

If you are coming from Cork, Aircoach have a service at 11pm, 11.59pm and 1am from Westmoreland Street, Dublin to Patrick Street, Cork.

If you book online well in advance, they have reduced fares, including a 10 euros single fare.

http://www.aircoach.ie/timetables/route-704-x-cork-dublin-city-dublin-airport-express

http://www.aircoach.ie/sites/default/files/dac/Cork%20leaflet%20%20030214.pdf

JJ Kavanagh's run services between Dublin and Limerick during the night.

They run a service from Dublin airport at 12.30am that picks up at George's Quay at 12.45am, Heuston Station at 12.50am, and Red Cow Luas Stop at 1am, that goes to Arthurs Quay Limerick. It is 10 euros single fare from Dublin to Limerick, or 15 euros return.

http://jjkavanagh.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Route-735-Shannon-to-Dublin-Airport.pdf

Dublin Coach also run services between Dublin and Limerick. They have services from D'Olier Street Dublin at 10.45pm, 11.15pm and 11.45pm. It is 10 euros single fare or 20 euros return.

http://www.dublincoach.ie/timetables-fares/M7-bus-ennis-tralee-killarney-limerick-dublin-city.php

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Is there any second hand market for these at all for face value, as in the seated tickets?

Toutless aren't allowing it, doesn't look like adverts do either. Pity as all that will do is drive more people towards the tout sites.

Have two seated tickets for Belfast if anyone is interested (£170 each)? Don't need them as we got standing tickets for the same night (Wednesday). Send a PM for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Incredible that ticketmaster introduce a paperless ticket system to cut down on touting, but have a direct link to seatwave "a ticketmaster company" who sell "resale tickets" at extortionate prices, therefore touting the tickets themselves?!

How have people not blown up about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

poundhound wrote: »
    Incredible that ticketmaster introduce a paperless ticket system to cut down on touting, but have a direct link to seatwave "a ticketmaster company" who sell "resale tickets" at extortionate prices, therefore touting the tickets themselves?!

Sshhh, don't mention it, you're a moaner etc.

Its ****ing scandalous and U2 are right in the mixer for it. Purely interested in making money.

People going to the shows are going to see a business playing music, not a band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Maybe be worth looking for hotels outside of Dublin, and then get luas or bus to that location - like IBIS in Clondalkin, Luas would bring you from the 3Arena out there, couple of mins walk from the Luas Stop - or the Loui Fitz Hotel (10 min walk) or Green Isle (5 mins in a taxi) From the Red Cow Luas stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The Nal wrote: »

Its ****ing scandalous and U2 are right in the mixer for it. Purely interested in making money.

People going to the shows are going to see a business playing music, not a band.

If you think U2 are the only ones, that's a bit short-sighted. EVERY band is a business, and want to make as much money as possible. There's not as much money in record sales anymore, so it's all about touring / marketing / merchandise. U2 will make more money from touring then they'll ever make from record sales.

Every band you see, every one of them from small to big are doing the same thing. Sure, tickets in the Academy are cheaper but it's all relative to scale. The other day a friend of mine said going to see U2 is like going to see Cats or Starlight Express - it's a show, an event, a theatrical occasion. It's about as far from a "gig" as you can get.

Personally I'd prefer U2 to stop touring each record and maybe do more intimate shows, or one off shows with guest performers and an orchestra etc. I don't need a massive screen to enjoy the music, and quite frankly once you've done Popmart there's nowhere else to go.

Sure, these tickets are crazy expensive but U2 seem to be able to hear what their fans are saying so they might reconsider their next tour. Might. All it takes is for a few guys on the street to say it to Bono. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

poundhound wrote: »

I don't agree with it myself, but you have to accept that touting is going to happen, using Seatwave at least guarantees that the buyer gets a genuine ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PTH2009 wrote: »

is that off all hotels, or just ones around the 3 arena.... as in would it work for cork hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

The Nal wrote: »

You sound a little jelly ;)
    Not going yourself, no? Wouldn't give them the time of day, no?

Yet, here you are on a U2 related forum.

They are a money making machine, that is true. But what would you have them do? Be good at music (and they are) and be bad at business? That sounds rather silly. Almost like someone coming on to a U2 related post when they don't even like U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

I don't agree with it myself, but you have to accept that touting is going to happen, using Seatwave at least guarantees that the buyer gets a genuine ticket.

No disrespect but I think that's horsesh*t. By genuine ticket are you referring to people selling fake tickets? Toutless was the best possibility for anyone to get a ticket at face value for the gig but ticketmaster have essentially blocked any potential cost-price sell-on by selling at extortionate prices through a sister website. There's literally no other option but to pay 300+ quid through this site. It's shocking carry-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

No disrespect but I think that's horsesh*t. By genuine ticket are you referring to people selling fake tickets? Toutless was the best possibility for anyone to get a ticket at face value for the gig but ticketmaster have essentially blocked any potential cost-price sell-on by selling at extortionate prices through a sister website. There's literally no other option but to pay 300+ quid through this site. It's shocking carry-on.

I'm not advocating Seatwave at all, but you've got a few facts wrong there so I'll explain a bit more before you start berating me again.

Seatwave hasn't blocked the possibility of Toutless at all; the tickets on Seatwave are for seats, for which actual tickets are being distributed in the normal way, which can equally be sold via Toutless. The paperless "anti-tout" standing tickets are not on Seatwave.

So again, buying through Seatwave is essentially touting, but with the knowledge that some guy isn't selling the same PDF to 20 different people, or that if the event is cancelled you will get a refund. Remember Garth Brooks?

That's not horsesh*t, it's the just the way of things in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

iSeano90 wrote: »
    You sound a little jelly ;)
    Not going yourself, no? Wouldn't give them the time of day, no?

Yet, here you are on a U2 related forum.

They are a money making machine, that is true. But what would you have them do? Be good at music (and they are) and be bad at business? That sounds rather silly. Almost like someone coming on to a U2 related post when they don't even like U2.

Was a big U2 fan. Have traveled to see them before. But not anymore.

They are not good as music anymore, not to their potential anyway. They've let money dictate their musical output. Last couple of albums are safe as houses bland ****e.

At least when they were wearing influences on their sleeves in the early and mid 90s they were good bands. Depeche Mode, Mondays, Stone Roses etc. Now? Killers, Coldplay, Keane, Kasabian etc in a desperate attempt to stay relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

why didn't u2 make all the tickets paperless?

no seatwave, no touting,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

why didn't u2 make all the tickets paperless?

no seatwave, no touting,

• Advertisement

I'm not advocating Seatwave at all, but you've got a few facts wrong there so I'll explain a bit more before you start berating me again.

Seatwave hasn't blocked the possibility of Toutless at all; the tickets on Seatwave are for seats, for which actual tickets are being distributed in the normal way, which can equally be sold via Toutless. The paperless "anti-tout" standing tickets are not on Seatwave.

So again, buying through Seatwave is essentially touting, but with the knowledge that some guy isn't selling the same PDF to 20 different people, or that if the event is cancelled you will get a refund. Remember Garth Brooks?

That's not horsesh*t, it's the just the way of things in the real world.

If seated tickets are sold on toutless.com, the issue of needing to bring the ID of the person who bought the ticket through ticketmaster, might be an issue?

In the Ticketmaster FAQs, listed prior to the tickets going on sale, it stated:

"Regular ticket holders must also present a valid govt issued photo ID for the purchaser only".

http://ticketmasterie.inbenta.com/?f=651

Edit:

I just checked toutless.com and it states "We've never allowed tickets that are locked to the original buyer in any sense to be traded on Toutless and this will be the same for ALL tickets for the Dublin/Belfast U2 gigs".

here is the full message:

http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23655

"We've never allowed tickets that are locked to the original buyer in any sense to be traded on Toutless and this will be the same for ALL tickets for the Dublin/Belfast U2 gigs".

"We've already received several people's views on why we are wrong to do this or how we might allow people sell some of the tickets and meet the original buyer on the night and the like. The problem with allowing any sort of concession on the rules regards tickets that are locked to the original buyer is that over time the deals will start getting grayer grayer around the edges until we have flat out attempts at trading tickets with little or no acknowledgment of the potential problems associated with the ID lock".

"It is our experience that quite a few people do not realise what these sort of restrictions actually entail and will either take a risk and buy tickets they can't use or otherwise not acknowledge how important their own attendance is on the night if they are the seller. If the seller is sick or otherwise delayed on the night it produces a lot of grief for the other side who is counting on them in a way that is a lot more involved than the regular deals we facilitate. Buying resold tickets is a risky enough business without the uncertainty of knowing if even a legitimate ticket will get you in on the night".

"While there is an argument that this risk should be up to someone to take if they wish there does still remain the issue that we could be seen to be encouraging or at least enabling people to go against the explicit requests of the promoter / band. While no one is likely to sue us or otherwise I do have to consider our position in the framework of the event scene in Ireland. We've a stated goal to stop touting and if someone is making an attempt, no matter how symbolic over practical, to fight touting we will at least respect the wishes of those doing it".

"It is our advice NOT to buy tickets for this event that you are not 100% sure you will use. Keep in mind tickers bought as gifts etc can only be used if the original purchaser is in attendance on the night. Similarly it would be advisable NOT to buy tickets from anyone selling these on any other reselling site as your entrance is not guaranteed".

"If for any reason the restriction on seated tickets requiring the ID of the original purchaser is changed (and it does seem to have been added as an afterthought and not correctly communicated across Ticketmaster which is allowing resale of the tickets on their own tout site seatwave) then we'll open this thread and allow trading on seated tickets only. If any clear communication from Ticketmaster on this is made please point us in the direction of it".

"There is a discussion thread here if you wish to talk about the event but keep in mind any attempts to sell/buy tickets overtly or otherwise on that thread could result in a site ban."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

If seated tickets are sold on toutless.com, the issue of needing to bring the ID of the person who bought the ticket through ticketmaster, might be an issue?

In the Ticketmaster FAQs, listed prior to the tickets going on sale, it stated:

"Regular ticket holders must also present a valid govt issued photo ID for the purchaser only".

http://ticketmasterie.inbenta.com/?f=651

Which won't happen, which is why TM are touting them themselves and allowing re-sale via seatwave.

Which won't happen, which is why TM are touting them themselves and allowing re-sale via seatwave.

Which of the scenarios are you saying won't happen?

Do you mean that it will not be possible to sell on seated tickets through toutless or anywhere else, or are you suggesting that they will relax the stipulation of requiring the ID of the person who bought the seated tickets, when entering the venue on the night?

I have a feeling that if seated tickets are sold on, it might be an issue, if the ID of the purchaser is not shown, when entering the venue?

I guess the difference with using Seatwave to sell on a ticket is, that both transactions will have been made through Ticketmaster, since Seatwave is part of Ticketmaster, and it stands to gain from the tickets being sold far above the face value, whereas with any other selling on of tickets, the original purchase is the only one made through Ticketmaster.

So, with regard to the U2 gigs, it would appear that touting is only acceptable, if it has been authorised by Ticketmaster with Seatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The likelihood, like all big concerts, is that a large number of people will have bought tickets for the shows off someone else who was touting the tickets.

So say for the 3Arena of 14000. Conservatively say 2000 tickets are touted ones. Do you really think these 2000 people aren't going to be let in to the concert? How long will it take to check the name on the ticket against a valid id? Too long. It won't happen.

Its a scare tactic to try to stop touting. People will still buy touted tickets. I would have no hesitation in buying a ticket off someone else, if I wanted to see them that is. I don't.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The likelihood, like all big concerts, is that a large number of people will have bought tickets for the shows off someone else who was touting the tickets.

So say for the 3Arena of 14000. Conservatively say 2000 tickets are touted ones. Do you really think these 2000 people aren't going to be let in to the concert? How long will it take to check the name on the ticket against a valid id? Too long. It won't happen.

Its a scare tactic to try to stop touting. People will still buy touted tickets. I would have no hesitation in buying a ticket off someone else, if I wanted to see them that is. I don't.

The issue is that there were conditions placed on the sale of the U2 tickets that are not placed on other large concerts. People who do want to see them are concerned about the extra conditions that were placed on the buying of these tickets.

It is easier to be definite about saying you'd have no hesitation buying a ticket off someone else, if you do not intend to buy a ticket off someone else.

If you did want to see U2 in November, but did not manage to buy a ticket on the morning they went on sale, you would, perhaps, have a hesitation in buying a ticket from someone else, considering that the extra conditions of buying the tickets stated that, with regard to seated tickets, the ID of the buyer must be presented on the night, and in the case of standing tickets, the card used to buy the ticket is brought to the venue to gain entry.

These extra stipulations resulted in toutless.com, not permitting resale of U2 tickets, indicating that gaining entry to the gig, might be an issue for people who may buy tickets off an original purchaser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Sunday morning gripe - (and question actually)

I got two seated tickets and selected the postal option. Will they be sent to my billing address? I spent a while on my TM account this morning and I don't see a delivery address listed anywhere, and any of the ticket receipts don't list any addresses which is a little annoying.

I'll call TM tomorrow when their customer service is back in action but just wondering does anyone have any experience of this?

I have changed address in the last few weeks and can't remember if I updated my TM account before buying U2 tickets, but the billing address listed is still showing my old one so is it likely they'll be sent there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sunday morning gripe - (and question actually)

I got two seated tickets and selected the postal option. Will they be sent to my billing address? I spent a while on my TM account this morning and I don't see a delivery address listed anywhere, and any of the ticket receipts don't list any addresses which is a little annoying.

I'll call TM tomorrow when their customer service is back in action but just wondering does anyone have any experience of this?

I have changed address in the last few weeks and can't remember if I updated my TM account before buying U2 tickets, but the billing address listed is still showing my old one so is it likely they'll be sent there?

I don't think there is an address entry on Ticketmaster that's not the billing address when you're purchasing tickets so it'll be your billing address that they're sent to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I don't think there is an address entry on Ticketmaster that's not the billing address when you're purchasing tickets so it'll be your billing address that they're sent to.

Cheers, that's what I thought.

Better get on the phone ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ticketmaster have essentially blocked any potential cost-price sell-on by selling at extortionate prices through a sister website. There's literally no other option but to pay 300+ quid through this site. It's shocking carry-on.

According to that website, someone paid €800 (plus charges) for a single ticket in Block N Row 34 on the Saturday :eek: and the previous person paid €950 each for 2 tickets in Block D Row 2 :eek:.
    For that kind of money, you could fly to somewhere else in Europe and see them on a few days break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

okidoki987 wrote: »
    According to that website, someone paid €800 (plus charges) for a single ticket in Block N Row 34 on the Saturday :eek: and the previous person paid €950 each for 2 tickets in Block D Row 2 :eek:.
    For that kind of money, you could fly to somewhere else in Europe and see them on a few days break?

Imagine the following in any different amount of accents.

"But it's not the same, man, as seeing U2 in Dublin in an indoor venue.
    Like, totally amazing. I've waited 25 years for this!"

BTW, I agree with you. Some of the prices paid are insane.

Advertisement