Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Folks I kid you not - I rang my dad to see how him and my uncle managed to get tickets in the end. They bought them after 8pm at the box office! Charged 70 for standing. They were offered seating tickets too. So people desperate for tickets should try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Major U2 fan, but no rose tinted glasses. The sound was muck for the first hour, a good mix but no low end, it really sapped the energy out of the performance. I was standing on the left of the E stage and moved around a fair bit to try get a decent sound, didn't really happen until Bullet The Blue Sky. Production was great, some very clever use of that screen. Starting to sound like an old fart but there was far too much drink and drugs taken by a lot of people standing, it was getting very messy, could see it really ruined the night for some people. I'd hate to see how it might be Friday and Saturday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Fantastic gig.
    Loved every minute

For anyone going this week get a place near the walkway as half the gig is there.
    Anyone notice the "USTER" spelling mistake during Bloody Sunday?

I was over at the left of the stage and didn't see any hassle. Actually the quietest crowd I've ever seen. No one constantly going up and down to the toilet and bar, no messing, just people enjoying the music. ����

• Registered Users Posts: 20,906 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Folks I kid you not - I rang my dad to see how him and my uncle managed to get tickets in the end. They bought them after 8pm at the box office! Charged 70 for standing. They were offered seating tickets too. So people desperate for tickets should try that.

Where ? At venue :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Best. Gig. Ever. Honestly the best live performance of Elevation I've ever heard. Really liked the setlist as well, I've seen U2 in Dublin three times (05, 09, 15) and this is the first time I've been lucky enough to go on one of the nights they played my favourite song, Mysterious Ways :D What did ye all think of the setlist tonight?
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    They done one tonight so I'd say they will finish with bad/40 tomorrow.

I would love to her ishfwilf and desire 2morrow.

They do One every night, no? Thought it had been a concrete staple of U2 tour shows for at least the last four tours?

Perhaps it's taken more of a back seat due to Bono not being able to play guitar anymore, but it still sounded epic tonight. They've rearranged it as well - usually the clean electric melody part is only for one verse, and then it powers up into the overdriven rotary chords, but in this one they keep it melodic until you get as far as the third verse.

Not sure why the change, was massively confused for a second when we were all singing along and the overdrive didn't come in for the second verse :D

• Advertisement

phonypony wrote: »
    Major U2 fan, but no rose tinted glasses. The sound was muck for the first hour, a good mix but no low end, it really sapped the energy out of the performance.

I was sitting in block J, sounded epic from there - perhaps it was the speaker configuration itself which left some parts of the venue sounding less well mixed than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

eeguy wrote: »
    Fantastic gig.
    Loved every minute

For anyone going this week get a place near the walkway as half the gig is there.

I was over at the left of the stage and didn't see any hassle. Actually the quietest crowd I've ever seen. No one constantly going up and down to the toilet and bar, no messing, just people enjoying the music. ����
    We stood at the barrier behind the mixing deck, right in the middle of the screen and I could see Larry's kit as clear as day. Right beside the bar too.
    A perfect night in my opinion. After Slane and Croker it was amazing to be so close to the group.
    Anyone who has tickets to the next gigs is in for a real treat, but you already knew that!
    Enjoy it folks, I wish I could join you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

What was the song that boneo git the californian girl to film the band for? There were a load of messages on the screen from all over saying they love u2 etc, then one message asking if anyone wanted to see some dick pics. Burst myself laughing at it.
    Would love to find it online somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Great night. Only downside for me was the sound was very high pitched. Very sharp and annoying at times. If it were a stereo I'd be turning the treble and tone down. I got used to it in the end but my ears are ringing big time.

Even so, loved every moment. To anyone that hasn't seen this tour, pay no attention to anyone that says not having a good view of the video screen is not really all that important. It is, very much so. For a large part of the show it is crucial.

There is of course the secondary screen in place and so I guess that might make up for it somewhat, but still and all, seeing Bono interact with the video is not really something that can be experienced to anywhere near the same degree as seeing it with the naked eye is. Be interesting to hear what people that were in those two Blocks felt. As for standing, best position I would say is around a third way up along the screen. That way you are close to the main stage but when they play in the centre second stage, that will be then right behind you and so you just have to turn around and you'll be right beside it. Maybe ten feet out from screen also so that you have a good view of it also.

Every Breaking Wave, One and Elevation were the highlights for me.

Roll on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

I was sitting in block J, sounded epic from there - perhaps it was the speaker configuration itself which left some parts of the venue sounding less well mixed than others?

It was an odd one alright, plenty of low end in the bloody sunday explosions/sub in Streets/Beautiful Day etc. But when they kicked into the Miracle there was no kick at all and very little Adam. It did improve slowly though. Also one of the places I moved to the high-mid was tearing the ears off me. I'm sure they'll sort it out, first night issues..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Where ? At venue

Yes at the box office in the arena

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I was in block J aswell. Great view and fantastic sound (bass sounded abit sludgy and farty but could be worse) Tonight was my 9th time seeing them live and I gotta say,it was just abit special. For aload of lads in their 50's,they show every other band what a live show really is. Amazing night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone know what time the box office opens at for collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,906 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Best. Gig. Ever. Honestly the best live performance of Elevation I've ever heard. Really liked the setlist as well, I've seen U2 in Dublin three times (05, 09, 15) and this is the first time I've been lucky enough to go on one of the nights they played my favourite song, Mysterious Ways :D What did ye all think of the setlist tonight?

They do One every night, no? Thought it had been a concrete staple of U2 tour shows for at least the last four tours?

Perhaps it's taken more of a back seat due to Bono not being able to play guitar anymore, but it still sounded epic tonight. They've rearranged it as well - usually the clean electric melody part is only for one verse, and then it powers up into the overdriven rotary chords, but in this one they keep it melodic until you get as far as the third verse.

Not sure why the change, was massively confused for a second when we were all singing along and the overdrive didn't come in for the second verse :D

Because they are going a bit retro - there is only so much they can put in - It was a major shock - One was not on Belfast setlist.

But when I was thnking about it again - there are some new - very slow love songs, that have come in over last 10 years - One is over 20 years old - and it has been done to death - even if that is not possible.

They are pushing Song for Someone - I love that song, due to personal resonance , but you can only do so many of them slow love songs and so many songs in 2 hours.
    You also have Every Breaking Wave too in there. Then Iris is also a slow emotional song.

But - yes, amazing - One not in all sets, but there are 20 songs not in all sets you would love to hear.

I think Out of Control is class so early on, sets the tone for the flashback feel of it all.

I'm loving this idea the gig is a story - it seems corny when you explain it to people - but it works and Bono tones it down and provides a touching delicacy to it all.

I think I have to go again.

By the way - I think the fact Bono is keeping the political stuff in background and going back to their roots - is going to help their non fan base public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Great show sound was the best I've heard at a live gig.
    Was standing great view can't go far wrong wherever you are.
    Electric Co was a highlight.
    The screen thing with the band inside the animation was amazing hadn't looked at any of the videos from other gigs so was really cool.
    Not mad on the advert for red towards the end if people like them paid some tax then maybe the Syrian refugees would have more resources to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Great show tonight. I was in Block E. Third row from the front barrier. Atmosphere was great and the 1st show never fails to disappoint.

Anyone going tomorrow? GA Standing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Veloce wrote: »
    Great show tonight. I was in Block E. Third row from the front barrier. Atmosphere was great and the 1st show never fails to disappoint.

Anyone going tomorrow? GA Standing line?

Good view from there I'd say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Guys, I am looking for advice. I didnt get tickets for any of the lads gigs but hoping to go if they play in the summer maybe. I have a question, how difficult is it to get stuff signed by the lads? I have a lovely print of a photo taken of the lads back in 1988 practicing Rattle and Hum at the Point depot. Would love to be able to get it signed and frame it for my wall. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

What was the song that boneo git the californian girl to film the band for?

That was Mysterious Ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

eeguy wrote: »
    Fantastic gig.
    Loved every minute

. ����

Not sure about Ulster, but i did see ballet instead of ballot. Illusian instead of illusion as well.

Safe to say this was deliberate to make it look more real, it is graffiti on a wall after all!

Can take a look at some of it again here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJR6pzZZgc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Guys, I am looking for advice. I didnt get tickets for any of the lads gigs but hoping to go if they play in the summer maybe. I have a question, how difficult is it to get stuff signed by the lads? I have a lovely print of a photo taken of the lads back in 1988 practicing Rattle and Hum at the Point depot. Would love to be able to get it signed and frame it for my wall. Any advice?

Wait around the venue between 2-5 tomorrow. Might see them going in for a soundcheck. Will stop and sign it for you if they are about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

bclar12 wrote: »
    Wait around the venue between 2-5 tomorrow. Might see them going in for a soundcheck. Will stop and sign it for you if they are about

Chances of them doing a soundcheck tomorrow are very unlikely, they would have done one before the first gig, the rest of the soundchecks now should be taken care of by the crew as all levels are more or less set and not likely to change much in an indoor venue

20cent, Nacho and Hatrick in the same building?
    Pints and arguments should have been had. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

scudzilla wrote: »
    Chances of them doing a soundcheck tomorrow are very unlikely, they would have done one before the first gig, the rest of the soundchecks now should be taken care of by the crew as all levels are more or less set and not likely to change much in an indoor venue

Not strictly true.

The band always done soundchecks themselves on the last tour, even if they done multiple nights at venues.

Also, if they are going to drop in a new song or two for that particular night, they try them at soundcheck. Case in point being the third night in Croker last time. They soundchecked NYD and IWF with the aim of playing both that night.

You're right though to a certain extent. They used the crew for soundchecks a lot on the 2005 tour....Which had to be the worst sound I've ever heard at any gigs I've attended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Would being at the arena for 7.30 be comfortable for getting in for a standing ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

No one can do a show like that.
    Was standing back middle, and still felt very close to main stage.
    The way the middle screen is placed, I felt it a perfect place to stand.
    Not sure how it worked for those seated in the middle facing the stage??
    Standing area still didn't feel packed and could have easily allowed a hundred more or so in.
    And as ever... it was ridiculous the amount of people who 'watched' the gig through their phones :rolleyes:

Anyone who's yet to go.... you won't be disappointed :)
    Would being at the arena for 7.30 be comfortable for getting in for a standing ticket?
    That'd be perfect... got there around 7:45 myself and pretty much no queue.
    Was nice standing about for just over 1/2 hr soaking up the buzz before it began.

What was the song that boneo git the californian girl to film the band for? There were a load of messages on the screen from all over saying they love u2 etc, then one message asking if anyone wanted to see some dick pics. Burst myself laughing at it.
    Would love to find it online somewhere.

Elevation.

She did move in mysterious ways though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Great night, really enjoyed it! Think I way prefered Slane back in 2001 due to huge crowd, support acts, atmosphere, but last night was great to get up so close to the action! I was standing.

GOOD
    So easy getting in. Arrived sometime after 8, queued 2-3 minutes outside, scan of credit card (no ID check or anything) and walked in the front door.
    Bar (pricey!) right inside the door and zero queue. Toilets same.
    And the stage was just so close. Without pushing or anything I was within maybe 20m of the stage and walkway with a great view.
    No hassle at all, very nice normal crowd
    Sound seemed great to me (my ears aren't thanking me this morning!)
    Great use of technology throughout and them being up inside the screens etc
    The whole set transformed well for different parts of it
    Quick exit afterwards too, no hassle

BAD
    I thought the atmosphere was quiet enough in parts. Maybe it was just the conbination of fans being older, Monday (work/school!) night and a reasonable number of more quiet songs?
    Got the feeling a lot of people (me included!) didn't know all of their most recent songs so they didn't get as much of a reaction maybe?
    I would feel sorry for some people upstairs around the middle who really wouldn't have had a great view at all
    Granted I took a few short videos and photos a couple of times, but (yes I sound old!) it's kinda annoying when people in front of you record long periods of the gig with phones above their heads partially blocking the view!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

g0g wrote: »

Granted I took a few short videos and photos a couple of times, but (yes I sound old!) it's kinda annoying when people in front of you record long periods of the gig with phones above their heads partially blocking the view!!!!

Haha, i enjoyed watching them stream it onto the net :D

Advertisement