Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

The last thing we need is a bigger Arena, for what? to fit 3-4 extra rare events the point can't get bums on seats the best of times its capacity is on par with most arenas in Europe.

Belfasts is an Ice Hockey Arena the kind they've been playing in the US it is "in the round" style what the tour is catered for...I suppose Dublin needs an Ice Hockey Arena now

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't understand how they can fit into a smaller venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I suppose Dublin needs an Ice Hockey Arena now

Dublin's needed a hockey arena for years. If I could get the backing I'd open one. Hugely enjoyable sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

4 nights in Belfast in nov/Dec and 3 nights in Croke Park in May 2016.

Metallica had a similar situation when they did there death magnetic tour where they could not play there indoor show in Dublin due to us not having a suitable arena so they played outdoor in 2009 and played Belfast in 2010.

Should the 3arena been built differently ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

@U2 suggest it might be wednesday when we finally find out. Also Bono hints that they will play Dublin for sure.

The Irish Times is reporting that U2 will announce its plans to bring the Innocence + Experience tour to Ireland on Wednesday. Reporter Brian Boyd, who was with the band in Turin, says Bono told him after Saturday's show that U2 will play Ireland at the end of November. Beyond that, though, the article offers no details and says an announcement is coming later this week:
    The city or cities they will play in, the exact dates and venue names will be made public this Wednesday as well as infomation about ticketing for the shows.
    Dublin's 3Arena is seen as too small to house the I+E production. U2 has dropped hints in recent weeks that they may play Belfast instead of, or in addition to, Dublin. But in today's Irish Times article, some quotes from Bono make it sound like everyone has found a way to make the show work in U2's hometown.
    "We found a way to reformat the show, to literally rebuild it for the Irish shows," says Bono. "It got to the stage where we just had to tell our people 'You have to make this happen, you have to make this work, this is where we are from and we have to bring the tour home.'"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »

Will be hard to get tickets but I'll try

Sounds stupid but would the citywest convention centre be suited for this gig ??

I'd say it will be 2/3 gig's at the 3arena and maybe the oddessey for 2 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

OU812 wrote: »
    Dublin's needed a hockey arena for years. If I could get the backing I'd open one. Hugely enjoyable sport.

Talks of dundalk ice dome may reopen. It is work in progress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

cena wrote: »
    Talks of dundalk ice dome may reopen. It is work in progress

It's too far out & too close to Belfast.

Needs to be in Dublin for capacity. & also have proper round seating, so it's a proper stadium. Huge interest in Ice Hockey throughout Europe & a proper Dublin team could grow quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

OU812 wrote: »
    It's too far out & too close to Belfast.

Needs to be in Dublin for capacity. & also have proper round seating, so it's a proper stadium. Huge interest in Ice Hockey throughout Europe & a proper Dublin team could grow quite well.

Celtic clovers ice hockey team in dublin. Look them up on facebook. sound bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Went to all 3 of the Croker 360 shows but won't be repeating that this time around in Dublin. Shows are far too similar. I've nae idea why their "mega fans" (200 Mexicans in the queue ahead of me at Slane '01) harbour such ambition to see them here. The shows -barely- change from one night to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

PTH2009 wrote: »

Sounds stupid but would the citywest convention centre be suited for this gig ??

It's not licensed for music shows iirc. Isn't it much smaller than the Point anyway?

For anyone that wants a 'hockey style' arena for Dublin - it might be fine for ice hockey but they're not great for the majority of gigs imo. I've been to a few in the Odyssey in Belfast and if you're seated at the end away from the stage it can be a bit grim. Much prefer the theater style of the Point even though it doesn’t suit this particular tour setup.

Why can U2 just do a few bare bones shows at the Point like they did years ago? The majority of people going to see them there won't care about the current stage setup and if they do then they can see the setup at an outdoor show next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

SteM wrote: »
    It's not licensed for music shows iirc. Isn't it much smaller than the Point anyway?

For anyone that wants a 'hockey style' arena for Dublin - it might be fine for ice hockey but they're not great for the majority of gigs imo. I've been to a few in the Odyssey in Belfast and if you're seated at the end away from the stage it can be a bit grim. Much prefer the theater style of the Point even though it doesn’t suit this particular tour setup.

Why can U2 just do a few bare bones shows at the Point like they did years ago? The majority of people going to see them there won't care about the current stage setup and if they do then they can see the setup at an outdoor show next year.

Are U2 doing an outdoor tour next year?I don't know if they are popular enough anymore to fill stadiums (except in Ireland and the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

lukin wrote: »
    I don't know if they are popular enough anymore to fill stadiums (except in Ireland and the UK)

They're still kind of a big deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Are U2 doing an outdoor tour next year?I don't know if they are popular enough anymore to fill stadiums (except in Ireland and the UK)

Oops, don't know. Just took for granted that they would be. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

SteM wrote: »

Doing the O2 and Hydro shows in a few weeks.

I think a lot of people that have gone off U2 would regain interest if the band dispensed with the edifice and just performed as a band. Thats why the whispers that they would bring some of the "busking" attitude to a Christmas run of shows in Dublin was so enticing...

The feedback from them when this tour was being planned was that they really get loose and spontaneous. As usual this hasn't happened.

Its the same old story with U2, since Zoo TV all the risk taking with their performance has gone. No bigger live band has ever used such a "safety net" in history.

These Irish shows will have as big a demand as the famous Garth Brooks shows in Croke Park in 2014.

Wooderson wrote: »

Its the same old story with U2, since Zoo TV all the risk taking with their performance has gone. No bigger live band has ever used such a "safety net" in history.

Errr..................you might have missed out on POP and POPMart...........

And safety net? Live? I don't think so. On record yes, but live they are as innovative as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

I'm heading over to Amsterdam in the morning for tomorrow nights gig,Dublin in November will be an added bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

You are aware that their last tour was a stadium tour and was the biggest tour in the history of music? -7 million + tickets told grossing over $700M. :p

kennyu272 wrote: »
    I'm heading over to Amsterdam in the morning for tomorrow nights gig,Dublin in November will be an added bonus!

Enjoy it man! I'm going to Saturday's gig, any tips on the venue would be appreciated:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Pinkman wrote: »
    You are aware that their last tour was a stadium tour and was the biggest tour in the history of music? -7 million + tickets told grossing over $700M. :p

Yeah but that tour was five years ago. And this album has been the lowest selling album they have ever had. Although I know it's hard to quantify because they gave it away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

Yeah but that tour was five years ago. And this album has been the lowest selling album they have ever had. Although I know it's hard to quantify because they gave it away for free.

I highly doubt many people go to see U2 based on their latest album. They go to hear the back catalogue and see the usual big show they are known for. NLOTH had very little to do with the 360 tour's success - they didn't even have any hits from it. I don't think they are even singing any tracks from it on this tour. Vertigo was their last big hit and that was a decade ago. They have got to the Rolling Stones level where they can continue to break records based on their older material and reputation as a live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭weadick

Has anyone else here used their u2.com subscriber code to buy UK tickets like I did? I wonder would there be much chance of getting Dublin tickets without a code?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

weadick wrote: »
    Has anyone else here used their u2.com subscriber code to buy UK tickets like I did? I wonder would there be much chance of getting Dublin tickets without a code?

I'd say a lot of people (worldwide) have kept their code for Dublin. I'd love to know the number of active codes out there, I still have mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

weadick wrote: »

yea, I'm going to London.

Booked my flight this morning. 63 quid return. could have gotten cheaper if i booked sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Never seen U2 live but consider myself a fan. Have the opportunity to pick up two tickets to see them here in berlin. I'm not familiar with a lot of the new stuff they have. Can I still expect some of the classics? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It's the lowest selling as they gave it away and probably one of the more profitable albums of the last decade due to the massive wodge of cash that Apple handed over for it

Yep, you're guaranteed plenty of classics. Here's their most recent setlist. The ones in bold are the only ones that really change around a bit. The rest are pretty much guaranteed;

Main Set

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    Out Of Control
    Vertigo
    I Will Follow
    Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Cedarwood Road
    Song For Someone
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Raised By Wolves
    Until The End Of The World

Second Set

Invisible
    Even Better Than The Real Thing
    Mysterious Ways
    Desire
    Angel Of Harlem
    Every Breaking Wave
    October
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    Zooropa (snippet), Where The Streets Have No Name
    Pride
    With Or Without You

Encore

City Of Blinding Lights
    Beautiful Day
    Mother And Child Reunion (snippet), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

• Registered Users Posts: 42,089 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I Will Follow has been played every night so far. It's the second song, e-stage songs and the last song that get rotated. They have changed the encore around a good few times as well but Blinding Lights is usually the first encore song. Also they usually throw in some other song like Bad, All I Want Is You or October every now and then although October could become a regular in Europe I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

"40" should be the only song they ever play as the last encore, and it should be played at every single gig they ever do.

of course, only after the crowd sing "how long, to sing this song" for at least 5 minutes :D

Advertisement