Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance for deceased relative

Options
  • 03-12-2014 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice relating to home insurance for a late relative.

A renewal has come in and the premium has increased again on last years premium.

I have contacted a number of other insurance companies and none will quote as the house is still currently in the deceased relatives name.

A family member is currently living in the house but cannot get insurance either.

Am I stuck with the current insurance company until the house has gone through the probate process? Or do I have other options?

Thanks, PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's going through probate, the executor needs to sort out the renewal and get the name on the policy changed to 'The estate of nnnn nnnn'. Nothing to stop you shopping around, you don't have to stay with the current insurer. Emphasis to any prospective insurer that there is someone living in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Name on policy already changed on the last renewal and I always state that there are people living in the house.

The problem is that no other insurance company will give me a quote while still going through probate. I've rang at least eight different insurance companies and I've all said straight up no, can't quote you. Any agent I spoke to seemed to be knowledgeable enough in my predicament. They all said that I'm basically stuck with the current provider until probate is done.

Edit: rang another two this evening and same result. They will not quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Name on policy already changed on the last renewal and I always state that there are people living in the house.

Sorry to hear that, I was an executor a few years ago but never had to renew any house insurance. Looks like you're in a rut, similar to someone with a pending claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yep looks that way alright. Thanks for the advise!

Advertisement