Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC keeps rebooting after I tried to add USB device

Options
  • 03-12-2014 2:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

A few days ago I tried plugging a new printer into a PC via USB and the system decided it was going to have a little lie down and rebooted. It now will load to the Windows home screen grand but after about a minute it reboots itself again.

It it an old PC (about 10 years) and has a few other external hard-drives going into it via USB. So maybe I overloaded it?

Any ideas on how to get it back to 100%?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maybe try using a powered usb hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Toom3y7

what version of windows is it running? also 10 years man, thing must be running pretty rough :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

Toom3y7 wrote: »
    what version of windows is it running? also 10 years man, thing must be running pretty rough :P

I think its Vista. And you're right, its a dinosaur by PC standards but I rarely get any hassle from it. Till now ;)

Im searching some UK PC forums about it here and some say its something to do with the BIOS? I think BIOS can be accessed in the pre-load "settings" window but I dont want to feck around with that unless I 100% know what Im doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Remove any external drives, usb devices etc and see if the problem persists.

I doubt it's got anything to with the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Steve King wrote: »
    A few days ago I tried plugging a new printer into a PC via USB and the system decided it was going to have a little lie down and rebooted. It now will load to the Windows home screen grand but after about a minute it reboots itself again.

It it an old PC (about 10 years) and has a few other external hard-drives going into it via USB. So maybe I overloaded it?

Any ideas on how to get it back to 100%?

Cheers.

Kind of sounds like it tried to load a driver for the device and did not like it,

Can you start it in "Safe Mode" and remove a driver if possible.

• Advertisement

Kind of sounds like it tried to load a driver for the device and did not like it,

Can you start it in "Safe Mode" and remove a driver if possible.

It seemed stable for the 5 mins I tried it in Safe Mode, no reboots.

How do I remove the driver?

Thanks.

Halfbaker wrote: »
    Remove any external drives, usb devices etc and see if the problem persists.

I doubt it's got anything to with the BIOS.

I tried that and it still reboots when not in Safe mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Click on start and type eventvwr.msc
    In the event viewer look in the "system" section and see if there are any errors recorded at the relevant times.

Advertisement