Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front-attach harnesses

• 03-12-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Ra has slowed down an awful lot due to age and arthritis. As a result she's generally trailing behind me and I'm conscious that her harness is getting pulled up under her armpits. Has anyone use a front-attach harness in this situation and did you find it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joggingjo

I use a front attach harness for my dog as he pulls a lot and the trainers at King of Paws recommended it to me. It was chaffing under his front legs a bit so i done a DIY job with some padding on the straps which has worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Front attach harness will still pull at the armpits in that situation, tbh. How about just getting one of those 1 1/2" wide martingale collars, or even a 2" one, hand-made to her size, so it won't slip off over her head, and perhaps ordering some extra padding in it so it's really comfortable? Rani can toddle along with that, although I must ask, really, why must she be harried at all? Surely at her time of life, she's earned the right to take her time at her walks. If it was me, I'd just walk her seperately if needs be; she probably doesn't even need terribly long, and allow her to take it at her own pace.

Edited to add: The last dog left from our childhood days, Flossie, did get walked with the other dogs, but the collies would go off-lead on the beach (Flossie couldn't, due to her propensity to eat everything that came within reach of her nose!) Flossie was also a terrier, and she would walk a little while, then lie down, which was the signal to put her in her lovely, fleecy carry-bag :D Again, is there any reason Rani can't just acquire one of those, to help see her through the rest of Teagan's walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd go for a fleece one - eg xtradog (although I've heard they stretch out of shape) or a perfect fit. The prefect fit comes in different thicknesses and you can buy extra fleece if you need extra padding too - http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ferretone wrote: »
    Front attach harness will still pull at the armpits in that situation, tbh. How about just getting one of those 1 1/2" wide martingale collars, or even a 2" one, hand-made to her size, so it won't slip off over her head, and perhaps ordering some extra padding in it so it's really comfortable? Rani can toddle along with that, although I must ask, really, why must she be harried at all? Surely at her time of life, she's earned the right to take her time at her walks. If it was me, I'd just walk her seperately if needs be; she probably doesn't even need terribly long, and allow her to take it at her own pace.

Edited to add: The last dog left from our childhood days, Flossie, did get walked with the other dogs, but the collies would go off-lead on the beach (Flossie couldn't, due to her propensity to eat everything that came within reach of her nose!) Flossie was also a terrier, and she would walk a little while, then lie down, which was the signal to put her in her lovely, fleecy carry-bag :D Again, is there any reason Rani can't just acquire one of those, to help see her through the rest of Teagan's walk?

I have started to walk them separately and frankly I have no idea where you came up with the notion that I harry her along. The more I slow down to match her pace the slower she goes, or stops completely so that she has more time to try scavenge. And she's not stopping because she's too tired, she is actually rooting through leaves or wandering across the path to get the chips, or whatever, that have been scattered. Would that I had somewhere I could let her off to toddle at her own pace, but a small black dog in a badly lit park at night is very difficult to keep an eye on. And she actually does need a good walk, if I just took her round the block instead of giving her at least 30 minutes she'd be doing laps of the living room for the evening, her inability to go very fast hasn't affected her overall energy levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

If you want to let her amble off lead in the park just get her a collar light. My pair are impossible to keep an eye on when it's dark so I got them little lights. You can buy the roglites from most websites but I just got a pair of bike silicone lights for half the price in halfords. They're waterproof and will flash or stay on so you can see her at all times. They don't have the ones I got in halfords on their website, it was a pack of 2 for €4.49 on their giftstand but these ones in argos are similar

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3335813/Trail/searchtext%3EBIKE+LIGHT.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh I have roglites and they're great!! I won the first one and bought a second because it's so good - both of mine have been swimming with the lights submerged and no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you want to let her amble off lead in the park just get her a collar light. My pair are impossible to keep an eye on when it's dark so I got them little lights. You can buy the roglites from most websites but I just got a pair of bike silicone lights for half the price in halfords. They're waterproof and will flash or stay on so you can see her at all times. They don't have the ones I got in halfords on their website, it was a pack of 2 for €4.49 on their giftstand but these ones in argos are similar

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3335813/Trail/searchtext%3EBIKE+LIGHT.htm
    Will look into that, thanks

Advertisement