Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the burning of Turf be made illegal now in Ireland these days?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Could you start getting the people of the village to burn gas, for safety it has a smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Could you start getting the people of the village to burn gas, for safety it has a smell.

no mains gas here and bottled gas huge expensive ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

You may as well try to make erections illegal. I don't mean building without planning permission.

Take in the roads also.

the government is already un-popular at the moment with the water fiasco - banning turf fires could be the icing on the cake lol :D

• Advertisement

What fiasco about water, first i heard of it.

Should it be made illegal to burn turf in fires and ranges now in Ireland? - it may be quaint and remind us all of old Ireland but when you drive into towns and villages these days the smell is acrid and irritates the throat and causes a lot of smoke in the air and visibility becomes poor especially in the freezing cold weather and when its misty/foggy. I thought these days 'smokey fuel' was banned anyway ? (not sure whether just for Towns or towns and villages?) we have to shut windows when people are burning turf but the smell still gets into the house through the wall vents you cannot close off.

Its funny when you think of it really, there is planes flying all over the world each and every day releasing god knows what amount of fumes into the atmosphere and then you have all the rocket launches and space programs.....but nope, first things first, lets stop a small minority of people burning a few sods of turf. :rolleyes:

The Green party are still alive and well despite their obliteration in the last election.

Reoil wrote: »
    Feck off. Can't beat the smell of turf. Up there as one of the best.

Ya cant bate a day in the bog, but there is one thing about the bog that i will say

The midgets will kill ya :pac:

http://www.brackishwater.net/images/uploads/mini_me_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Should it be made illegal to burn turf in fires and ranges now in Ireland?

No.

The clags are the worst, tipp. Didn't notice I had been bitten till the whole bottom half of my arm swelled up the next day. When I touched it, it was boiling.

Took anti histamines every day after that to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement

Its funny when you think of it really, there is planes flying all over the world each and every day releasing god knows what amount of fumes into the atmosphere and then you have all the rocket launches and space programs.....

i was saying exactly the same thing in my living room earlier - im not being bugged am i ? lol ... except for I did mention the USA and china and Japan adding to the equation ..

No but on the other hand if a plane were to fly over our house from knock to luton airport and i was outside, would it make me cough wheeze and make my eyes sore? .... no, it would just be noisy .... however i did go out earlier tonight for a bit of fresh air (thats a bleeding larf!) and was greeted with turf fire smell in the cold night air which burnt my respriority system and made my throat and chest hurt and my eyes water and itch!

You need to steal all the turf from the village people and burn it all, that will teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm against burning anything and everything. My advice to people who are cold - sleep with a sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I don't know what that bastard next door is burning but I'm sucking on inhalers since October over him!

I like the smell of turf fires but when its filling up your sitting room with smoke from next door its not so nice at all! :( My chest is fecked from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What is this blasphemy? Honestly!

Harvesting, firing and basking in the glorious warmth of turf is the most basic natural principle of human existence, it's the reason we evolved opposable thumbs!

If we were meant to burn natural gas we'd be farting fire out our asses.

....If we were meant to burn natural gas we'd be farting fire out our asses.

sure dont we do that already? I do lol - great party trick that is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Reoil wrote: »
    Feck off. Can't beat the smell of turf. Up there as one of the best.

I miss the smell of turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I like the smell of turf when it's not too strong (it's not pleasant when it's overpowering) but I rarely get to smell it. I'd say I wouldn't like it being a constant. Very lingering smell, like cig smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

I miss the smell of turf.

Me too.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Graces7 wrote: »
    You must be driving around with your eyes closed as bog reclamation is going on in many area.

Burning turf is wonderful...

If you didn't drain it and burn it - it wouldn't need reclamation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Leave our turf alone townies.

Pollution in Ireland from cars, farting cows and turf fires is a pinprick in the overall scheme of things and anyone who thinks that us being as green as green can be will make a blind bit of difference while super power industrial scale pollution giants like Japan, China, USA and Russia carry on regardless is very naïve.

In that case we can import rubbish and burn it. We're hardly making a dent anyway so what's a bit more.

Bogs should be preserved at this stage. they're practically endangered. We've already destroyed over 95% of our raised bogs and over 80% of the peatland in total. Ignorant culchies think they can keep chopping it up and burning it.

I grew up in the countryside and we burned turf but back then people knew feck all about conservation. People who actually know all the facts but still decide that it's ok to burn a rare and endangered ecosystem are fecking selfish morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

We'll give up burning turf as soon as jackeens give up heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I vote that it stays purely for its usefulness in devising derogatory culchie sobriquets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Just ban airplanes, they're huge polluters they fail to mention

Because if you get on a plane the only bit you notice might be a whiff of kero it doesnt really feel like pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Ban something because you don't like the smell of it?

Jesus, slurry season must be a nightmare for you. Maybe you should retreat back to the safe smells of piss and fumes in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

We'll give up burning turf as soon as jackeens give up heroin.

Oddly enough both heroin and destroying raised protected bogs are illegal.

I also I never heard of anyone claiming to be "addicted" to ripping up protected raised bogs.

Do you really want to make the argument that Dubliners have a 'traditional' right to use heroin??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Have a nice day

I great some great turf this year. Very dry. €250 filled a small shed and will keep me going all winter and some. I never considered turf worse than any other fuel.

I also love the smell.

This thread is in danger of igniting a turf war....ill get my coat :pac:

This thread is in danger of igniting a turf war....ill get my coat :pac:

for peat's sakes...

( I'll get mine..)

:o

• Advertisement

Ban something because you don't like the smell of it?

Jesus, slurry season must be a nightmare for you. Maybe you should retreat back to the safe smells of piss and fumes in the city.

oh Shíte - why did u have to bring up slurry - I forgot about that - some people are dirty feckers.... and id question if its actual animal Shíte as well I bet theres a bit of human Shíte put in for good measures! - its like going back to victorian times when they used to throw their shít out onto the streets .... except over here they throw it out onto the field instead!

Advertisement