Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the burning of Turf be made illegal now in Ireland these days?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Jake1 wrote: »
    for peat's sakes...

( I'll get mine..)

:o

Now your suckin' Diesel! ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

except over here they throw it out onto the field instead!

Fields are handy places for spreading slurry.

Fields are handy places for spreading slurry.

are they handy for emptying out/spreading septic tanks and sespit waste too? ;)

are they handy for emptying out/spreading septic tanks and sespit waste too? ;)

Your all questions Andy, modern life isn't suiting you at all.

Your all questions Andy, modern life isn't suiting you at all.

whats modern about spreading muck on a field - If I look up on the council website "why can I not have a bonfire or burn rubbish in my back garden?" - one of the reasons why is that "these days its antisocial re , if people have washing out on line or have their windows open, the smell from a bonfire is antisocial" - however its not anti-social to have the air smell strongly of Sh1te on a hot summers day or smelling strongly of choking Turf smoke on a frosty misty winters day...

• Advertisement

We have to spread slurry to empty the tanks for the winter, this is the cycle of farming that comes with stocking animals indoors.
    Are you sure its smog from turf fires you are smelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

modern life is a load of sh1te :)

We have to spread slurry to empty the tanks for the winter, this is the cycle of farming that comes with stocking animals indoors.
    Are you sure its smog from turf fires you are smelling?

forgive me kevin i dont know the first thing about farming, and farming wouldnt be my particular chosen career, especially if there is no money in it ;) and i dont know how people do it in all weathers and at the crack of dawn, i couldnt - , but i think even i can tell the difference between the two smells :)

but i think even i can tell the difference between the two smells :)

Im not saying the smell that you think is turf is slurry, what im saying is maybe its from a certain type of coal or timber the smell is.

Im not saying the smell that you think is turf is slurry, what im saying is maybe its from a certain type of coal or timber the smell is.

oh right sorry i get you now, no im pretty sure its Turf, no mistaking that acrid chokey smokey smell, and the smoke coming out of the chimneys is a light brown/black smoke whereas with coal it tends to be just black looking .. not that I study smoke coming out of chimneys you understand lol :)

• Advertisement

I reckon its coal, some people still burn that anthracite also.

I reckon its coal, some people still burn that anthracite also.

can you still buy smokey fuel/coal these days i thought it was all smokeless coal now that could be bought, what they call that smokey coal, polish coal wasnt it?

can you still buy smokey fuel/coal these days i thought it was all smokeless coal now that could be bought, what they call that smokey coal, polish coal wasnt it?

You can of course, sure people hate burning the smokeless as they reckon there is no heat out of it.

You can of course, sure people hate burning the smokeless as they reckon there is no heat out of it.

oh right havent seen it for years and thought i heard it was banned now these days for environmental and smog reasons, mind you i havent been on the lookout for years either - we heat our house with oil/kerosene

You really know nothing about country living, do ya Andy? :pac::p

You really know nothing about country living, do ya Andy? :pac::p
    no, youd think i would, the amount of time ive lived in the country :) - i only found out the other day what a tractor was ;):D

..... its public transport for farmers isnt it?

oh right havent seen it for years and thought i heard it was banned now these days for environmental and smog reasons, mind you i havent been on the lookout for years either - we heat our house with oil/kerosene

Do a survey with the village people tomo and you will find its not all turf they burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Do a survey with the village people

100% of them approve accommodations at the YMCA!!

MadsL wrote: »
    100% of them approve accommodations at the YMCA!!

lol - :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A move up to the land of the Jackeens might suit you better OP, you seem a bit too fragile for country living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Haha well do e for oticing that i eed a ew keyboard! ;)

Me too but it is the SS on mine.. I was a teacher and the gimlet eyes are there for life ;)

catallus wrote: »
    There's no real heat off timber though.

Yes there is! I burn whatever I can get...wood is good...

Haha well do e for oticing that i eed a ew keyboard! ;)

You missed omitting one n!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Wood burns hotter but quicker, turf burns slower with less heat. You need both turf and wood as they compliment each other.

I love turf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just put a heap of sods in the fire there, sheer bliss.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've never noticed a problem with pollution in small towns from burning turf.

Many people have oil now and don't rely on turf to heat the home anymore. during the boom a lot of people were convinced to remove the back boiler from their range and switch to oil. A really stupid thing to do as it's a complete waste of a range.

Turf isn't really a good fuel, it's supplements coal nicely but I wouldn't like to depend on it.

I burned nothing but turf or as they call it in Scotland peat for nine years and it is grand.. Depended totally on it; backboiler ran the central heating and always plenty of hot water, It was funny coming here and seeing it in bags as we had lorry loads straight from the cutting. Would love to do that again; it handles so clean compared to coal.

when I used to come over to Ireland on holiday in the 90's one of the things I loved about Ireland apart from the scenery was the smell of burning turf from the houses in the streets ........ cant stand the smell now these days though! :-)

Clearly you are at fault and not the turf,..

Price of heating oil is low at the minute. €570 or thereabouts for 1000lts.

You call that LOW? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Should it be made illegal to burn turf in fires and ranges now in Ireland? - it may be quaint and remind us all of old Ireland but when you drive into towns and villages these days the smell is acrid and irritates the throat and causes a lot of smoke in the air and visibility becomes poor especially in the freezing cold weather and when its misty/foggy. I thought these days 'smokey fuel' was banned anyway ? (not sure whether just for Towns or towns and villages?) we have to shut windows when people are burning turf but the smell still gets into the house through the wall vents you cannot close off.

Anything that causes some retard a moral dilemma should be illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've never noticed a problem with pollution in small towns from burning turf.

Many people have oil now and don't rely on turf to heat the home anymore. during the boom a lot of people were convinced to remove the back boiler from their range and switch to oil. A really stupid thing to do as it's a complete waste of a range.

Turf isn't really a good fuel, it's supplements coal nicely but I wouldn't like to depend on it.

In my part of the country its the other way around.People buying stoves with back boiler and burning the good old turf.I haven't used oil since 2009 Turf heats my house ,heats my water often boils the kettle ,saves electricity ,many ways as it does in loads of houses.Whatever way its weighted up cutting of turf may be bad but so is everything else.If I burn oil,heat my water via immersion, burn coal smokeless or not they are still all fossil fuels.Its 6 of 1 1/2 dozen of the other.

Advertisement