Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the burning of Turf be made illegal now in Ireland these days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭OldRio

I see the tree huggers are about. Burning the ould turf tonight. Cut it myself from my own bog this summer. Hard work but worth it.
    China and India knocking vast amounts of pollution out as we type, but some on here would like me to stop burning my own turf. Haha. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

OldRio wrote: »
    I see the tree huggers are about. Burning the ould turf tonight. Cut it myself from my own bog this summer. Hard work but worth it.
    China and India knocking vast amounts of pollution out as we type, but some on here would like me to stop burning my own turf. Haha. Good luck with that.

one step (country) at a time eh? - lets show em how its done

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Well you've addressed the pollution issues in your own way, but depending on where you got your turf from people might want you to seek an alternative to protect a rare habitat, that also has an important role in water filtration (and reduces water filtration costs for the taxpayer), as well as an important roll in flood-prevention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well you've addressed the pollution issues in your own way, but depending on where you got your turf from people might want you to seek an alternative to protect a rare habitat, that also has an important role in water filtration (and reduces water filtration costs for the taxpayer), as well as an important roll in flood-prevention.

I used my own bog for turf. My own. 'A rare habitat' ? It's a natural resource that I own and use.
    'Water filtration' ? In Leitrim ? Brilliant, just brilliant.
    'Tax payers money' ? Are you for real?

As for the buck from Sligo, who didn't know about Arigna. You must get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,257 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Graces7 wrote: »
    Some of us are just COLD and need fires and cannot afford to buy oil etc. Your language needs purifying, with FIRE

My family cut down trees in our garden because we couldn't afford fuel, even turf, most years. However we also planted them. Not out of any climate change issues but rather because it felt right to replace what we were cutting down. So I understand what poverty is like. maybe you could cut down a tree and replace it with another rather than burn an endangered ecosystem?

In Ireland the government are compensating turf cutters. they are actually giving them money not to cut/burn turf. Yet these fcukers think they can take the money and still cut turf.
    joe912 wrote: »
    considering that's what people have been burning for the last thousand years. The damage surely has already been done.
    It would be a far better idea to burn coal from china (god knows the Chinese need the money and work) without doubt getting coal from china to the west of Ireland would leave virtually no carbon footprint.

It's an rare ecosystem. Burning turf is like the japanese saying that they should be allowed hunt endangered whales.
    We've also burned well over 90% of the bogs in this country. It's actually over 98% of raised bogs that have been destroyed and we keep doing it.

Are you still trying to scaremonger, with global warming, I mean climate change, I mean exteme weather some day these overpaid morons will get it right and those people who are more intelligent than us country folk will be able to say I told you so.

the 98%+ of climate scientists who agree with the three findings of the IPCC* are more intelligent that most culchies. they're also more intelligent than most city dwellers. When it comes to climate science, they're are pretty much the experts. You're not. When it comes to climate science, I'm going to side with the 98% of climate scientists who overwhelmingly agree on climate change.

* Three findings
    1) Climate change is real
    2) The main cause is man
    3) it's getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I used my own bog for turf. My own. 'A rare habitat' ? It's a natural resource that I own and use.
    'Water filtration' ? In Leitrim ? Brilliant, just brilliant.
    'Tax payers money' ? Are you for real?

As for the buck from Sligo, who didn't know about Arigna. You must get out more.

Yeah well I think you'll find a lot of laws are out for the comon good - I can't build a skyscraper in the middle of Roscommon despite owning the site, and some people aren't allowed destroy the last measly few percent of a rare and useful habitat that we all benefit from. The "I can do what I want" argument simply doesnt apply to a developed society.

Yeah water filtration - in Leitrim, and everywhere else. Ming held up a glass of water that was orangey-yellow in the Dail last year and complained about how undrinkable it was. He failed to realise that the orangey-yellow colour was most likely caused by peat-run-off from a degraded bog! If you're implying that the water quality in Leitrim is crap, you're proving my point!

And yeah, tax payers money! In case you havn't noticed, water quality and how we should pay for it is a very topical issue at the moment!

....As for the buck from Sligo, who didn't know about Arigna. You must get out more.

My wife has been to it a few times she tells me (off the beaten track, windey roads) - she even reckons Ive been to it once, but I cant remember going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Forget about the Guards trying to get people to hand up their unlicenced fire arms its the sleans that they need to focus on plus the hay knifes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I've so many fond memories of being in the bog at summer, mostly pretending to work there so I didn't have to work on the farm, I'd hate to rob the children of the future of that excuse. Plus the work is so incredibly monotonous that it's meditative as f*ck.

Love the bog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

you would have to ban the burning of every other hydrocarbon fuel before you can ban burning peat. Cant say I have ever noticed a cloud of smog in villages from turf burning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've so many fond memories of being in the bog at summer... I'd hate to rob the children of the future...

Love the bog.

If we keep cutting there will be no bogs for them to enjoy
    Citroen2cv wrote: »
    you would have to ban the burning of every other hydrocarbon fuel before you can ban burning peat. Cant say I have ever noticed a cloud of smog in villages from turf burning.
    The cutting is the most environmentally unfriendly aspect, more so than the burning. It's the cutting that needs to be restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

the 98%+ of climate scientists who agree with the three findings of the IPCC* are more intelligent that most culchies. they're also more intelligent than most city dwellers. When it comes to climate science, they're are pretty much the experts. You're not. When it comes to climate science, I'm going to side with the 98% of climate scientists who overwhelmingly agree on climate change.

* Three findings
    1) Climate change is real
    2) The main cause is man
    3) it's getting worse.[/QUOTE]

If 100% of climate scientists admitted that climate change has always occurred and that they haven't got any predictions right so far, they would no longer be in well paid jobs. If I was them I would try more scare tactics and demand more funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

If we keep cutting there will be no bogs for them to enjoy

what part of a bog do you enjoy?

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    ...Cant say I have ever noticed a cloud of smog in villages from turf burning.

Driving though Sligo town last week with that fog it was strong then and a right pea souper - I am not sure how weather works and am not a scientist but when there is already mist or fog and your burning stuff like turf it seems to stay/linger in the air at street level/person rather than go off in the atmosphere what it normally does. Im sure a scientific person would be able to explain why that is? - think back to the London smog that killed people , thats what it was like the other week, glad I was driving and not walking out in it ...

bit cheeky that - receiving a payment incentive not to cut it .. but still cutting cutting it anyway ...... and still taking the payment!:rolleyes:

Turf is causing you alot of grief Andy.

what part of a bog do you enjoy?

Either that's a bad attempt at infantile humour or shows a complete lack of appreciation for the importance, wonder and beauty of our natural environment. Either way, what's your point?

Turf is causing you alot of grief Andy.

to say its causing me grief is a bit over the top ... but its a tiny but influential issue in my quality of life lol :)

Either that's a bad attempt at infantile humour or shows a complete lack of appreciation for the importance, wonder and beauty of our natural environment. Either way, what's your point?

I thought it was quite good :D

to say its causing me grief is a bit over the top ... but its a tiny but influential issue in my quality of life lol :)

Ill lend you a slean, hay knife and 2 prong pike and a bank of turf next season, very therapeutic the turf process.

• Advertisement

I thought it was quite good :D

I didn't get it. I'm in my 70s and often miss the point of some young people's humour.:(

so if people started tearing down trees (whether on land they own or not) ,and its a well known fact that trees absorb Co2 too, then people would be up in arms about it surely. And what about animals on these bog lands, are they affected too by it being all ripped up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Yes it should be made illegal to burn turf , I'd love to see Luke Ming explode .

Trees are different than turf, burning wood and other biomass as a fuel is classed as carbon neutral; plants and trees remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere when they are growing, and release the same amount when they burn or decompose naturally on the forest floor. In contrast, fossil fuels like oil, gas and coal, release carbon dioxide which has been locked away for millions of years and increase atmospheric CO2 levels, the main cause of global warming.

Ill lend you a slean, hay knife and 2 prong pike and a bank of turf next season, very therapeutic the turf process.

its all foreign to me that, didnt understand a word of it. And if it involves sweating and getting dirty on the hottest days of the year when people should be eating ice creams down at the beach.... then im not interested thanks ;)

so if people started tearing down trees (whether on land they own or not) ,and its a well known fact that trees absorb Co2 too, then people would be up in arms about it surely. And what about animals on these bog lands, are they affected too by it being all ripped up?

Trees for firewood are generally replaced by new planting but bog once ripped out is gone. Yes much wildlife is affected by turf cutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Driving though Sligo town last week with that fog it was strong then and a right pea souper - I am not sure how weather works and am not a scientist but when there is already mist or fog and your burning stuff like turf it seems to stay/linger in the air at street level/person rather than go off in the atmosphere what it normally does. Im sure a scientific person would be able to explain why that is? - think back to the London smog that killed people , thats what it was like the other week, glad I was driving and not walking out in it ...

That is a huge exaggeration re the London smog comparison..:rolleyes: You are getting totally obsessed..

That is a huge exaggeration re the London smog comparison..:rolleyes: You are getting totally obsessed..

We don't know the size of his village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have to spread slurry to empty the tanks for the winter, this is the cycle of farming that comes with stocking animals indoors.
    Are you sure its smog from turf fires you are smelling?

A modern responsible country would dry it not pollute the air and water for miles around.

• Advertisement

A modern responsible country would dry it not pollute the air and water for miles around.

How does one dry a tank of slurry?

Advertisement