Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the burning of Turf be made illegal now in Ireland these days?

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Over 30% of Ireland's population live in rural areas. Only animal farmers must live in rural areas. the rest of them live in rural area because they're too cheap to build in an urban area or they just don't like urban areas, then they come onto broadband forum and complain about slow broadband.

Copper telephone lines can only provide decent broadband if they are less than 4km long and fibre broadband would cost a fortune to rollout and definitely would need to be subsidized (surprisingly, the government actually have plans to do it) by the urban customers an tax-payers.

Furthermore, the urban tax-payer already subsidizes the rural tax-payer, so rural Ireland is just a burden on the rest of us.

In Belgium, only 3% of the population live in rural areas. If they can live in urban areas, then so can we.

I never complain about living rurally but we pay the same taxes and do not have water or sewage supplied, no public lighting, no parks, no libraries, can't use our free travel, roads are dire, no easy access to hospitals, etc
    I accept all that, as the life here is superb but don't assert that urban tax payers subsidise rural dwellers.

Oh, and what about this turf thing??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

we pay the same taxes.

I promise you, you're property tax is less than mine and 20% of mine will be spent in counties outside Dublin.
    and do not have water or sewage supplied, no public lighting, no parks, no libraries, can't use our free travel, roads are dire, no easy access to hospitals, etc.

You choose where you live. You can't buy or build away from hospitals and libraries and then moan about it, why mention all these amenities that you choose not to avail of if you don't mind?
    I accept all that, as the life here is superb but don't assert that urban tax payers subsidise rural dwellers.

They do. All over the world. Ireland is no different.

€31.8 Billion in tax nationally

€16.8 Billion in tax from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

I never complain about living rurally but we pay the same taxes and do not have water or sewage supplied, no public lighting, no parks, no libraries, can't use our free travel, roads are dire, no easy access to hospitals, etc

You pay the same taxes, but do you pay the same amount in taxes?

Why not? It's a fact: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/urban-taxpayers-subsidising-rural-homeowners-could-cause-property-tax-backlash-262606.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I promise you, you're property tax is less than mine and 20% of mine will be spent in counties outside Dublin.

You choose where you live. You can't buy or build away from hospitals and libraries and then moan about it, why mention all these amenities that you choose not to avail of if you don't mind?

Because of my occupation my taxes are Dublin. But look, you're right my 52% tax doesn't cover all I get from the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

You pay the same taxes, but do you pay the same amount in taxes?
    [/URL]

Thats a good question, and there is no real answer as its going to be on a person to person basis. some people in the country will pay more, and vice versa.

anyway, what does that have to do with turf! we're on a tangent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joe912

John_Rambo wrote: »

BECAUSE HIS PROPERTY IS WORTH LESS.20% TAX IN THE COUNTIES WHERE YOUR WATER COMES FROM, WHERE YOUR FOOD COMES FROM, WHERE YOUR WASTE GOES.

YOU CANT LIVE IN DUBLIN, GIVE OUT THAT EVERYBODY DOESNT AND EXPECT TO PAY LESS FOR PROPERTY WHERE THE DEMAND IS HIGHEST

DOES THIS INCLUDE VAT ON FUEL, MOTORTAX THE TAX ON SERVICES YOU PAY FOR IN THE COUNTRY THAT ARE FREE IN DUBLIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

joe912 wrote: »
    DOES THIS INCLUDE VAT ON FUEL, MOTORTAX THE TAX ON SERVICES YOU PAY FOR IN THE COUNTRY THAT ARE FREE IN DUBLIN.

I pay VAT on fuel, I also pay motortax. I'm not sure what services you are on about that are free in Dublin that you have to pay for.

Advertisement