Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

meathman0 wrote: »
    Have to agree with above, I got some of the Black Diamond €10 bags as well and it's much better nice size pieces, worth the extra.

They describe it as a blended and smokeless coal, is there petcoke in it? It certainly doesn't look smokeless from the picture or the spec on the bag, looks like it just meets the 2011 sulphur reg for outside smoke ban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

moodrater wrote: »
    They describe it as a blended and smokeless coal, is there petcoke in it? It certainly doesn't look smokeless from the picture or the spec on the bag, looks like it just meets the 2011 sulphur reg for outside smoke ban areas.

when I ordered it it was described as semi smokeless, how you can have semi smokeless is beyond me , surely it has to be one or the other, looks like norman coal, not man made, burns well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

meathman0 wrote: »
    when I ordered it it was described as semi smokeless, how you can have semi smokeless is beyond me , surely it has to be one or the other, looks like norman coal, not man made, burns well.

What's the leftover cinders like? Is there a good amount like the premium polish coal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

RE: Leftover cinders?

Any chance the leftover cinders are due to burning overnight in a stove and closing it right down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

anyone else using a ecograte? what you burning if you are,want to know before i order ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

lads i got 2 bags of the " semi smokeless " smokeless my h0le there is as much smoke as the €8 bag and as much cinders as the €8 bag... there is the odd round type of coal in the s/smokeless but not much tbh, on this delivery i did find the coal to be a lot smaller on the €8 bag compared to the boulders i got before... save the €2 per bag and go for the cheaper option imo

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Lads im on the verge of ordering from up north, my usual coal is cosyglo gems smokeless for an inset boilet stove, esse 350gs keeps the glass clear all night, not bad heat out if it either.
    Going to order 20 bags smokeless ovoids, and 5 bags clearflame smokeless.
    do you guys think that is a good alternative to cosyglo gems.
    both types cost the same 12.80 euro 40kg bag am in cork so delivery would be around 64 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

cranefly wrote: »
    Lads im on the verge of ordering from up north, my usual coal is cosyglo gems smokeless for an inset boilet stove, esse 350gs keeps the glass clear all night, not bad heat out if it either.
    Going to order 20 bags smokeless ovoids, and 5 bags clearflame smokeless.
    do you guys think that is a good alternative to cosyglo gems.
    both types cost the same 12.80 euro 40kg bag am in cork so delivery would be around 64 euro.

I bought a pallet of about half standard premium coal and the other half split between ovoids and clear flame, mixing them gets great results, the clear flame is hot stuff so a shovel of that in with your oviods will have a right good fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

sgarvan wrote: »
    What's the leftover cinders like? Is there a good amount like the premium polish coal?

I use a stove, don't have too many cinders left in the morning, I just leave them and relight my fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys does the clearflame give out more heat than the ovoids

How do these 2 compare?

• Advertisement

Guys does the clearflame give out more heat than the ovoids

How do these 2 compare?

Clear flame has petcoke if you give it too much air it will warp/melt/burn your grate or stove parts. Stove warranties will always exclude the burning of petcoke.

Clear flame has petcoke if you give it too much air it will warp/melt/burn your grate or stove parts. Stove warranties will always exclude the burning of petcoke.

So would you avoid the clearflame for a stove mate?

I would use it for sure but not 100% on its own, if you ask me it's great stuff but I mix it with other two, it helps fully burn out everything else and puts out great heat. Use it at 1/3 or 1/4 of whatever else you have in and it's a great addition.

Its not worth it imo. Pet coke is too easy to overfire in a stove. Even mixed with other fuels you can produce hot spots that can warp, crack, corrode your grate / fire bars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

How long after arranging the delivery side of the order was it before coal warehouse contacted you? I paid for delivery yesterday, but no call regarding the coal order yet

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

chasm wrote: »
    How long after arranging the delivery side of the order was it before coal warehouse contacted you? I paid for delivery yesterday, but no call regarding the coal order yet

For me it was at lunchtime the day after paying the courier. Was worried too cause they never answered any of the phone numbers listed.

tomslick wrote: »
    For me it was at lunchtime the day after paying the courier. Was worried too cause they never answered any of the phone numbers listed.

Thanks, still waiting for a call, If i don't get one by this evening i'll just have to cancel delivery and buy elsewhere as i'm very low on fuel.

Thanks, still waiting for a call, If i don't get one by this evening i'll just have to cancel delivery and buy elsewhere as i'm very low on fuel.

After you sort out delivery you call them, don't wait for them to call you?
    They will have collection/delivery payment confirm in 10min after you book it then will take your order...
    Other than that I suppose they will call you when they see they have collections booked but no order to match...

Its not worth it imo. Pet coke is too easy to overfire in a stove. Even mixed with other fuels you can produce hot spots that can warp, crack, corrode your grate / fire bars etc.

Buy a stove top thermometer, great Job and just 20 quid, takes some of the guess work out of firing the stove and easy for everyone to know when's too hot or cold...
    I'd say people not getting them hot enough is a bigger problem that too hot, if you left the door fully open and have a full bucket of any decent coal in it you could easily do damage
    iv always burned some type of clear flame in my mix and would really miss the extra heat if I didn't have it...but I do have a big brute of a stove...

When ordering a pallet of coal for first time you won't go wrong getting some bit of a mix, even if it's 1 bag of a few diff ones and 22 of one, atleast you know for sure what works before next pallet...

After you sort out delivery you call them, don't wait for them to call you?
    They will have collection/delivery payment confirm in 10min after you book it then will take your order...
    Other than that I suppose they will call you when they see they have collections booked but no order to match...

When i arranged the delivery i asked what the procedure was and was told i would receive a call from the coal warehouse to place my order.

• Advertisement

When i arranged the delivery i asked what the procedure was and was told i would receive a call from the coal warehouse to place my order.

Ok wait then if your happy too, but if you want to hurry it up call them, read earlier posts about process...

Ok wait then if your happy too, but if you want to hurry it up call them, read earlier posts about process...

They phoned me this morning :)

Guys I have a Stanley stove and have always used Ecobrite or cosy glow gems

I took delivery of a pallet of ovoids this morning from this crowd

I have the fire lighting since midday and they ovoids are top quality, they are equally as good as the other two

I will continue to buy from this crowd

Highly recommend

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've a Stanley Erin stove too and use about 70bags to heat the house over the Winter, I usually buy the bags in one swoop and get it over and down with.
    For the last year I've been gutting the house, new floors, new insulated slabs, new insulated ceilings and some new triple glazed windows.
    This Winter I've used just 16 bags as the house heat retention has dramatically improved.
    Now probably have enough coal to last three seasons so hopefully this crowd will still be around and I'll still remember!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Seems crazy but it still feels like winter !! Anyone know the updates on the coal from NI ? Prices etc.

I'm in the marketplace

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

vicwatson wrote: »
    Seems crazy but it still feels like winter !! Anyone know the updates on the coal from NI ? Prices etc.

I'm in the marketplace

Terrible weather alright. I ordered a pallet of singles this week worked out at 9.83 a bag delivered. I rang them about the prices and can confirm that they are the same as that advertised on their Facebook page under 2015 prices. Ace delivery prices haven't changed and as usual cannot fault their service. Crazy buying coal this time of year but it'll last into the winter, I hope. The bit of turf cut is ruined too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

vicwatson wrote: »

I'm in the marketplace

Weather App has 5/6 degrees over the next few nights. Will be some kinda record for Cold in June come the end of the month I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Took delivery off 4 pallets this week..100 bags..70 polish..30 slack.. Worked out at 10 .72 per bag including delivery...

Ace used a different company to deliver the coal. I rang ace to get a idea of where the order was to set my timeframe at home.. Told me they would ring me back in 5 mins... Never did.

Truck only had a pallet truck to unload the 1 ton pallets..no side forklift or crane..will not move on gravel..unless the lorry can reverse to where u need them dropped you will be bringing them in one by one like me. It took hours but its grand.

10.72 I'm very happy with. Ace not so much..won't use them again as the unload options for 1 ton pallets is ridiculous.

Also..the price in sterling on the invoice is enough to make you cry :(

Also..the price in sterling on the invoice is enough to make you cry :(

Do tell ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I ordered the Premium Polish Coal last year. Will be looking at another order in the winter.
    Does anyone know if they stock Premium Colombian Coal?

The Champion Coal here is one of the best I have burnt but there is a good bit of a difference in the price. http://www.coaldirect.net/#!bit-coal/c1jo3 or http://www.beattyfuels.com/product/champion-coal/

Advertisement