Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Can someone tell me the exact problem they are having with the EG small ovoids?

I was lucky enough to use CW large ovoids over the years which were great til that bad batch, so I moved away as I wasn't happy with that batch ( the cinders left and the bad heat output) so moved over the EG small ovoids.

I find them fine tbh

They leave a light (yellowish) ash behind with little or no cinders. They burn quicker but I am putting that down to their size, and will preferably purchase a large-sized ovoid in the future.

but apart from that, the heat output seems fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Huge amount of ash which stifles air flow and thus prevents good heat output.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I was lucky enough to use CW large ovoids over the years which were great til that bad batch, so I moved away as I wasn't happy with that batch ( the cinders left and the bad heat output) so moved over the EG small ovoids.

I find them fine tbh

They leave a light (yellowish) ash behind with little or no cinders. They burn quicker but I am putting that down to their size, and will preferably purchase a large-sized ovoid in the future.

but apart from that, the heat output seems fine

No problem with my ton, normal amount of ash no cinders and lovely heat, I had to open the windows last night as my little 8kw stove was just too hot

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 u1navxomlkrjq7

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No problem with my ton, normal amount of ash no cinders and lovely heat, I had to open the windows last night as my little 8kw stove was just too hot

It seems to be they are fine in the smaller stoves (6/7/8Kw) but when they are used in the bigger stoves (16/17/18 Kw) the heat is not as good as the larger ovoids. That's my experience anyways.

It seems to be they are fine in the smaller stoves (6/7/8Kw) but when they are used in the bigger stoves (16/17/18 Kw) the heat is not as good as the larger ovoids. That's my experience anyways.

i wouldnt use small ovoids in the big stove they would be lost

• Advertisement

i wouldnt use small ovoids in the big stove they would be lost

You may be ok then. I think most people on here (myself included) who have had problems with the small EG ovoids have had bigger stoves (am open to correction on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mun1

Got a good response from EG today.
    They apologized and offered to send me a pallet of new product to try out and then see where we go from there.

I told them I’m stuck for space and if they could send me 5-6 bags to try out over next few weeks.

Cant fault the EasyGlow customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You may be ok then. I think most people on here (myself included) who have had problems with the small EG ovoids have had bigger stoves (am open to correction on this).

You could be right but mine is a 12kw and there are no issues whatsoever.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You could be right but mine is a 12kw and there are no issues whatsoever.
    That's closer to an 8kw than an 18kw which may be why it's OK. Go any bigger and the problems start. If you read back a few pages it's people with the bigger stoves that seem to have issues with the coal (myself included).

That's closer to an 8kw than an 18kw which may be why it's OK. Go any bigger and the problems start. If you read back a few pages it's people with the bigger stoves that seem to have issues with the coal (myself included).

Large ovoids would be the way to go for a big beast with back boiler etc

• Advertisement

It's 50% bigger than a 8kw and the 18kw is 50% bigger than it so probably midway between them but yeah maybe you're right that the small ovoids don't suit bigger stoves, I honestly don't understand why this would be so but there's a lot of stuff I don't understand.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Large ovoids would be the way to go for a big beast with back boiler etc

Sorry but I have to disagree with this comment. I’ve tried them in my Stanley Reginald Stove with back boiler. Absolutely hopeless. I too have contacted EG. Awaiting a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭bassy

anyone using them in a stanley super 80 range ?.

It's 50% bigger than a 8kw and the 18kw is 50% bigger than it so probably midway between them but yeah maybe you're right that the small ovoids don't suit bigger stoves, I honestly don't understand why this would be so but there's a lot of stuff I don't understand.

Sorry to be a pedant (I can't help it :)) but 13K is midway between 8K and 18K. 12K is closer to 8K than 18K, anyways back to reading my dictionary lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

So......

Could we be looking at the problem being the size of the Ovoid in larger stoves?
    (ie) burning too quickly and causing a blanket/smothering effect with ash which then effects heat output?

So......

Could we be looking at the problem being the size of the Ovoid in larger stoves?
    (ie) burning too quickly and causing a blanket/smothering effect with ash which then effects heat output?

That seems to be what a lot of people on here have said and is my experience too.

As an aside, thinking of ordering from here - https://valuecoal.co.uk/ie/prices/ - anybody used them before?

Just ordered a ton of coal and 2 bags of slack for 358 delivered, we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I have been onto Easyglow also about the quality of the small ovoids and like others on here, they have offered to replace with a new product.

Very impressed with this kind of customer service, which is in sharp contrast to Coal warehouse who only offered a vague promise of a discount on a future purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

As I said before, I’ve a large 25km stove. I bought both the large and small ovoid from Easyglow . The larges ones were great , but it says on their website they are for cookers. So this year I tried the small ones as it says on their website they are for glass fronted stoves. There is double the amount of ash and the heat wouldn’t be as good.

What I have found over the past few days, is if I get the boiler going then usually two buckets of the small ovoids and then a bucket of singles over them will keep the stove going saying from 2pm till about 12 at night and keep the rads at a decent temperature.

Next year I will go back to the large ovoids from Easyglow , but personally for the bigger stoves I would stick with the large ovoids. I’ve had the large ones from Betty fuels, Easy glow and Coal warehouse and they have all been good. The smaller ones just don’t suit larger stoves in my opinion.

I couldn’t be bothered getting onto Easyglow as I’ve burnet half of them I would say now, and I don’t fancy having to take half a tonne out of the shed and replace them. Sounds like they are been decent with the customer service too, and I always found Pat decent to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I have suffered the same disappointment with the easyglow small ovoids. Having been a longtime customer of the Coalwarehouse i decided to try the small ovoids from easyglow. I bought 2 tonne and have resorted to buying a bag of ecobrite to mix with the easyglow ovoids. i have fired off an email to easyglow and if they offer to take back the coal i will gladly accept their offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

I have suffered the same disappointment with the easyglow small ovoids. Having been a longtime customer of the Coalwarehouse i decided to try the small ovoids from easyglow. I bought 2 tonne and have resorted to buying a bag of ecobrite to mix with the easyglow ovoids. i have fired off an email to easyglow and if they offer to take back the coal i will gladly accept their offer.

What’s the Ecobrite like? Have a 13KW Stove

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

snor wrote: »

I find Ecobrite grand but at €20 a bag it’s pricey. Looks like i will be buying from Coalwarehouse next year if Brexit allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

Have just tried current Ovids from Coal Warehouse, slow burn & great heat. Though I noticed an odd granular texture in few remaining cinders. So definitely a different composition than previous. Maybe an expert out there can shed light on this ? yep, a fascinating topic !

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

snor wrote: »

I use Ecobrite and found it great. I have got a good price for 1 ton, delivered and he even stacked it for me.

I am in the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dollylama

I ordered in a tonne of CW ovoids but after a good start, good heat and very little ash, I'm finding them difficult to work with!

I've a 15kw stove and it didn't matter what I put in it over the years.. from quality anthracite to dirt rubbish coal.. crack open the damper and it would burn anything and burn it well. Neither the stove or my chimney are faulty.

I'm finding the CW ovoids behave differently to other fuels. They're hard to light for one but I'm well used to that from burning anthracite in the past. The bigger issue is getting them up to a good burning level is taking an age and opening the damper bizarrely has little to no effect. They might flame a little but they don't redden or take to light as such. So it could take 2 or 3 hours, with an open damper for this stuff to get up to heat and then to make matters worse, the heat can be lacklustre. I get it that this stuff is more for smouldering than flaming but it seems to just do it's own thing.. there's no coaxing it!

Have I gotten bad bags in amongst good ones perhaps? What was the issue people had with CW ovoids in the past?

Got my ton delivered from valuecoal today, 5 days after ordering but I was in no hurry anyway. It's well wrapped which is just as well because I have no intention of moving it in the lashing rain. Will try some over the next couple of days and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

IrishHusk wrote:
    "I am so sorry to hear you are disappointed with your purchase and thank you for your email as this prompted us to fuirther investigate your issue, we would appreciate the opportunity to fix this problem, we are prepared to exchange one your pallets for new product and if you are still not happy with this pallet we are prepared to take whatever steps necessary to fix this problem."

Just an update on my situation. I received my pallet of 5 bags from easy glow and the quality is much improved with little ash. I did ask for a discount on a new pallet as I could not send back my pallet but they are unable to offer that and only the 2 free bags.
    I am going to leave it as I used to always buy from Kosy King and never had an issue and now that they are offering warehouse prices so they are similar in price to easy glow so I am going to deal with them for my next order.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    As I said before, I’ve a large 25km stove

A very large stove. :p

I knew that ton from ValueCoal was well wrapped from looking at it but I didn't think there would be 6 layers of plastic wrapped around it. Alternate layers of heavy and light, some job, I'd nearly send a pallet to Eamon Ryan's house just to send him over the edge into a nervous breakdown.

It seems like good coal anyway, various sizes in the bag I opened and it caught on very quickly after being thrown on top of some cardboard and two pieces of wood. We'll stick with it on it's own there now for the night and see how she goes heating the room and the few rads. This is it after 20 minutes, it's been lit about 45 minutes now but the towel rads are still only lukewarm yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I knew that ton from ValueCoal was well wrapped from looking at it but I didn't think there would be 6 layers of plastic wrapped around it. Alternate layers of heavy and light, some job, I'd nearly send a pallet to Eamon Ryan's house just to send him over the edge into a nervous breakdown.

It seems like good coal anyway, various sizes in the bag I opened and it caught on very quickly after being thrown on top of some cardboard and two pieces of wood. We'll stick with it on it's own there now for the night and see how she goes heating the room and the few rads. This is it after 20 minutes, it's been lit about 45 minutes now but the towel rads are still only lukewarm yet.

Eamon Ryan is no eco warrior , He is just a moron , He drives a 17 year old 8 seater diesel guzzler.

Advertisement