Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

TimHorton wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan is no eco warrior , He is just a moron , He drives a 17 year old 8 seater diesel guzzler.

Believe me Tim, I know he's a moron.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mun1

Update on my ovoids situation:
    Bought 2 ton EG small ovoids in october. Found them to be very poor and while they gave a good blast of heat they “smothered” themselves as the day went on and left lots of ash behind the next morning.

EG apologized and sent me a sample (5 bags) of their large ovoids to try out.
    They gave great heat and not much more ash than CW ovoids.

EG then sent me a ton of the large ovoids FOC , which arrived on the 23rd dec.

They didn’t ask for the small ovoids back so I’m going to mix these in with the large ones over the next few winters.
    So well done to Easyglow on their quick and easy solution to the problem.
    Their large ovoids are easily as good heat wise as the CW version.

So one happy easyglow customer.
    Happy Christmas everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

mun1 wrote: »
    Bought 2 ton EG small ovoids in october. Found them to be very poor and while they gave a good blast of heat they “smothered” themselves as the day went on and left lots of ash behind the next morning.

They didn’t ask for the small ovoids back so I’m going to mix these in with the large ones over the next few winters.

Got the large open fire ovoids a while back myself and have been very impressed with them . Other than the fact that it takes 15 minutes to get them lighting they have preformed really well. Ash is not too bad and they bang out great heat. 200 including delivery for just under half a ton is good value in my book .

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

+1 too.

Got onto Easyglow and their customer service was brilliant. Fiona really was fantastic.

Got a free tonne of small ovoids delivered on Dec 23rd and I didn't have to return the previous order.

The new batch of coal is so much better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

OnLooker wrote: »
    +1 too.

Got onto Easyglow and their customer service was brilliant. Fiona really was fantastic.

Got a free tonne of small ovoids delivered on Dec 23rd and I didn't have to return the previous order.

Great stuff. That's a proper service. Coal warehouse wouldn't have done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Looking on their website. Which coal product are these? I couldn't trouble you to send a pic of a bag?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Looking on their website. Which coal product are these? I couldn't trouble you to send a pic of a bag?

Thanks

https://www.easyglow.ie/index.php/shop-coal/24-BAGS-Delivery-Included*-Smokeless-EasyGlow-Coal-Ovoids-For-Open-Fires-p168011341

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

OmegaGene wrote: »

Are you using these in a stove? Says open fire so just checking If ok for a stove before I buy. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

OnLooker wrote: »
    +1 too.

+2! I emailed Easyglow about the quality of the first delivery and within a week Fiona had replied and told me that a new tonne was on the way free of charge. She referred to the quality of the first delivery as a “schoolboy error”. I enquired no further but was pleasantly surprised with their gesture. The quality of the new tonne (split load) is far superior with way less ash. Kudos to Easyglow. They’ve had a tough few months.

snor wrote: »
    Are you using these in a stove? Says open fire so just checking If ok for a stove before I buy. Thank you.

I haven’t used those exact ones personally but another poster has and I’ve used large ovoids from another supplier and there’s no issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

snor wrote: »

Yea I have these ones. They burn perfectly well in a stove

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clement

I am down to the last 1/4 tonne of large ovoids which I bought in the first week in sep. I'm not sure if they are made of the same batch as the small one's but it has been horrendous. They have been a disaster. About 10% of the bag is unburnable slack, the nuggets won't burn on there own just dies out, has to be burned with timber of other coal. I wouldn't give it away as I'd be embarrassed. I wouldn't complain to easyglow for fear I'd have to burn another tonne, I'll be glad to see the last bag. Also 10kg of coal produces about 2kg of Ash. I hope the new batch is good but I won't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭pale rider

I’ve recently got smokeless ovals from Easyglo for use in a boiler stove, it is hopeless for burn time, the worst we have ever had and the soot it produces is extraordinary, after just two weeks burning my soot trap was overflowing, I can’t imagine what it’s doing to my chimney.

Could any users here check for extra soot build up with this product and if you have an external access point for your chimney check that for soot/build up.

pale rider wrote: »
    I’ve recently got smokeless ovals from Easyglo for use in a boiler stove, it is hopeless for burn time, the worst we have ever had and the soot it produces is extraordinary, after just two weeks burning my soot trap was overflowing, I can’t imagine what it’s doing to my chimney.

Could any users here check for extra soot build up with this product and if you have an external access point for your chimney check that for soot/build up.

Don't worry, it's not doing anything to your chimney, as long as you clean your soot trap when it's full your stove will burn a lot better.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Don't worry, it's not doing anything to your chimney, as long as you clean your soot trap when it's full your stove will burn a lot better.

Reassuring but I’ll be happy after I see the sweep, I don’t have an alarm to tell me when the trap would be full ( great invention idea ) ..I am used to checking it maybe monthly, the soot was unbelievable after maybe 10 days of fires and built up so rapidly.

I’m no novice to solid fuel stoves and in all the years of use this product fills my soot trap so quickly it’s frightening, if it was wet it would have drawn manky black coal juice out onto my nice plaster work on the outside of the house which would require a lot of remediation.

If I used it in my smaller stove it would clog the 90 degree flue really fast.

Reassuring but I’ll be happy after I see the sweep, I don’t have an alarm to tell me when the trap would be full ( great invention idea ) ..I am used to checking it maybe monthly, the soot was unbelievable after maybe 10 days of fires and built up so rapidly.

I’m no novice to solid fuel stoves and in all the years of use this product fills my soot trap so quickly it’s frightening, if it was wet it would have drawn manky black coal juice out onto my nice plaster work on the outside of the house which would require a lot of remediation.

Nothing worse than coal juice on the outside of a house, probably have to move out if that happened and never be able to sell the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Have a read of my experience with Easyglo
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115175790&postcount=3235

Because the quality was so inconsistent, I won't order from them again, especially when spending so much money for a ton. I have found more reliable suppliers that I am happy with.
    But of course each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Currently burning the small ovoids from easyglo , bought about 6 months ago and they are grand, as good as previous ones and similar to kosykings. Undoubtedly the best ovoids I ever got were from king coal outside Dunleer, but crazy southern prices. They have a uk yard near jonesboro, but think you have to collect, don't think they deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

lenscap wrote: »
    Have a read of my experience with Easyglo
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115175790&postcount=3235

Because the quality was so inconsistent, I won't order from them again, especially when spending so much money for a ton. I have found more reliable suppliers that I am happy with.
    But of course each to their own.

Have to agree found the small stove ovoids terrible, maybe they are just hit and miss. Bought a ton of triple heat this year and it’s much better, mixed the remaining bags of ovoids into the mix just to use them up.

Nothing worse than coal juice on the outside of a house, probably have to move out if that happened and never be able to sell the house.

This happened one time before I had the trap enlarged, the coal or more accurately wet soot juice destroyed the plaster beneath the trap door meaning I had to have that dug out, a larger lead lined trap fitted and then replaster with stone chippings lashed onto the wall all at some expense so pardon me if I don’t agree with your sarcasm.

These ovals as Easyglow call them are soot producing monsters and if just one person reads this and checks their soot trap it might save a lot of expense later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

What would people recommend for Coal for an open fire that I can pick up in Dublin? Only need a couple of bags for Jan.
    Im in D3. got some delivered last year and they were hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Do you mind me asking what the large ovoids are made of? we got something similar previously and they appeared to me made of peat like a briguette and not compressed coal like the small ovoid. We didnt find them as hot as the small ovoid.

We have received a bad batch of small ovoids from a local supplier recently after being very happy with the previous supplied. Lots of Ash and burning too quick am I am looking for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

dollylama wrote: »
    I ordered in a tonne of CW ovoids but after a good start, good heat and very little ash, I'm finding them difficult to work with!

I've a 15kw stove and it didn't matter what I put in it over the years.. from quality anthracite to dirt rubbish coal.. crack open the damper and it would burn anything and burn it well. Neither the stove or my chimney are faulty.

I'm finding the CW ovoids behave differently to other fuels. They're hard to light for one but I'm well used to that from burning anthracite in the past. The bigger issue is getting them up to a good burning level is taking an age and opening the damper bizarrely has little to no effect. They might flame a little but they don't redden or take to light as such. So it could take 2 or 3 hours, with an open damper for this stuff to get up to heat and then to make matters worse, the heat can be lacklustre. I get it that this stuff is more for smouldering than flaming but it seems to just do it's own thing.. there's no coaxing it!

Have I gotten bad bags in amongst good ones perhaps? What was the issue people had with CW ovoids in the past?
    Just seen this.
    I've been burning CW ovoids for years now, same quality as before. I use some firelighters ,wood and throw on some ovoids to get it started. about 20 mins later, add more ovoids and they last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

What is situation with brexit and the deliveries, are the likes of easyglo still delivering to south?

What's the best coal at the minute for an open fire, preferably from easyglo or kosyking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

^^^^^^

Only this week I had a delivery from Coal Direct Ireland in Derry and no change in price from last year.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

+1 for EasyGlow Customer Service, Just had my replacement tonne of small ovoids delivered Free of Charge. The excess ash was not a major issue for me as I can spread it out down the back of the garden. Let's hope the replacement tonne is better.

TimHorton wrote: »
    +1 for EasyGlow Customer Service, Just had my replacement tonne of small ovoids delivered Free of Charge. The excess ash was not a major issue for me as I can spread it out down the back of the garden. Let's hope the replacement tonne is better.

The free ton they are giving out must be costing them a fair few quid in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The free ton they are giving out must be costing them a fair few quid in fairness

Must be but they are really easy to deal with on this. So fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Probably worth it in the long run though. I got a replacement pallet yesterday, I haven't tried it yet but if it's good I will probably deal with them again.Very easy to deal with compared to CW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭dollylama

Just seen this.
    I've been burning CW ovoids for years now, same quality as before. I use some firelighters ,wood and throw on some ovoids to get it started. about 20 mins later, add more ovoids and they last ages.

Having now burned through the full tonne of ovoids, it seems I might just have got 2 or 3 dud bags in amongst what is otherwise very good fuel! The stuff burns well, no clinker and little ash. I had hoped the heat output might be a bit better but it served us well. I would put it on par with good quality columbian coal, only it lasts much longer. I'll definitely buy more but I'll dabble in some of the anthracites on offer from others too.

Just something to note if ordering again, there must be savage markup on this stuff as I know it can be bought from some of CW bulk resellers for much less than it can be got direct from CW!! Might be no harm haggling hard with them next time

Advertisement