Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Dealt with Fiona and she was a pleasure to deal with. They sent me a free tone of the large Ovoids and didn’t request the small ovoids back.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Who are people using for delivery from coal warehouse? I normally use warde haulage, but price in last 12 months went from € 75 to €80 and now want €90per pallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

meathman0 wrote: »
    Who are people using for delivery from coal warehouse? I normally use warde haulage, but price in last 12 months went from € 75 to €80 and now want €90per pallet.
    I was same with Warde for last few times was same as your prices!I went with McGovern transport this time worked out at €73 paying by bank transfer aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

reaper180 wrote: »
    I was same with Warde for last few times was same as your prices!I went with McGovern transport this time worked out at €73 paying by bank transfer aswel

Hi, do you have the contact details for McGovern, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

meathman0 wrote: »
    Hi, do you have the contact details for McGovern, thanks.
    I dealt with them by email only

Phone

+353 (0) 49 9523342

Email Address

info@joemcgovern.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks,
    Are the Easyglow ovoid's in the link below ok for a 5kw stove? I'm looking to use larger ovoid's as opposed to the smaller ones. Thanks.

https://www.easyglow.ie/index.php/shop-coal/24-BAGS-Delivery-Included*-Smokeless-EasyGlow-Coal-Ovoids-For-Open-Fires-p168011341

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Bif wrote: »
    Folks,
    Are the Easyglow ovoid's in the link below ok for a 5kw stove? I'm looking to use larger ovoid's as opposed to the smaller ones. Thanks.

https://www.easyglow.ie/index.php/shop-coal/24-BAGS-Delivery-Included*-Smokeless-EasyGlow-Coal-Ovoids-For-Open-Fires-p168011341

im thankfully coming to the end of my 1 tonne pallet I bought of these.
    if you read back pre Christmas on this thread id be confident the verdict is a no buy.

- Ash Ash Ash
    - needs too much vent because of Ash, burning quicker.
    - emptying Ash twice a day, kinda dangerous if fire hasn't gone down
    - not giving enough vent almost quenches the fire because of the ash volume

on an update to my last post before xmas, because of venting a lot more and creating excessive heat on the fire grate, i can now tell you that after 10 yrs of burning coal, it has just completely distroyed and buckled the grate. it was perfect until last Oct. So im not happy about that.
    wonder has anyone else noticed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

P_Cash wrote: »
    im thankfully coming to the end of my 1 tonne pallet I bought of these.
    if you read back pre Christmas on this thread id be confident the verdict is a no buy.

- Ash Ash Ash
    - needs too much vent because of Ash, burning quicker.
    - emptying Ash twice a day, kinda dangerous if fire hasn't gone down
    - not giving enough vent almost quenches the fire because of the ash volume

on an update to my last post before xmas, because of venting a lot more and creating excessive heat on the fire grate, i can now tell you that after 10 yrs of burning coal, it has just completely destroyed and buckled the grate. it was perfect until last Oct. So im not happy about that.
    wonder has anyone else noticed this.

I wouldn't blame the coal for the grate. Thats how they go. Ten years isn't bad and when the go they can look near perfect one minute and a burnt out wreck a few weeks later. Once they hit the point of no return they just keep degrading.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I wouldn't blame the coal for the grate. Thats how they go. Ten years isn't bad and when the go they can look near perfect one minute and a burnt out wreck a few weeks later. Once they hit the point of no return they just keep degrading.

I'll be honest, the way I had to burn this coal the grate didn't stand a chance.

each to their own experiences, but the coal was absolutely to blame for the way my grate went in 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Its days like that this cheap stuff really struggles , When I use a premium ovoid from my local suppliers and throw a small amount on the fire at 11 pm its still glowing at 6.30 AM , Using this Easy Glow stuff the next morning the fire is completely out. It's cheap for a reason. (BTW I got a free tonne)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

TimHorton wrote: »
    Its days like that this cheap stuff really struggles , When I use a premium ovoid from my local suppliers and throw a small amount on the fire at 11 pm its still glowing at 6.30 AM , Using this Easy Glow stuff the next morning the fire is completely out. It's cheap for a reason. (BTW I got a free tonne)

Are you referring to the larger replacement ovoids or the small ones or a mix. I find the large ones to be good and don't mix with the small ones. Don't know how\when I'm going to use the smallies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Are the ovoids any good for an open fire? Or better suited to a stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

TimHorton wrote: »

I have to agree with above. Got a free pallet and went for the bigger ovoids but they are not great quality. Both the small and big ovoids are the same poor quality. You know when you empty the bag that it is poor stuff as the ovoids are broken into small fragments and coal dust.
    Cant fault their customer service but their products are not as good as Kosy King in my opinion.
    I would burn a bag a day these days and I will have a huge ash pile when I empty in the morning and the stove does not hold its heat like the ones from Kosy King.

Juts got an email of Kosy King and their warehouse prices are good value so I will go back to them for my next pallet even if they are slightly more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I got one of the early very good tons of the Easy Glow ovoids and am still using them and they are brilliant, sounds like they got a really bad batch afterwards.

I bought a ton of coal recently from Value Coal after seeing a link posted up here, it was a no hassle delivery with 2x 25kg of slack thrown in for free, again very pleased with the quality. Great heat from it, all it takes is a few sticks and any cinders left from previous fire to get it started and it lasts a good while. It pays to get used to your stove and learn how to adjust the different vents at different stages of burning to get the best results from any fuel.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

I got some large ovoids from Easyglow recently and while they are fine they are not as good as the ovoids from CW that I got a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

Plus 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I just a bought a ton of ovoid's from coalwarehouse and its great quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Are the ovoids any good for an open fire? Or better suited to a stove?

Probably better suited for a stove but burn well in an open fire

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

IrishHusk wrote: »
    I have to agree with above. Got a free pallet and went for the bigger ovoids but they are not great quality. Both the small and big ovoids are the same poor quality. You know when you empty the bag that it is poor stuff as the ovoids are broken into small fragments and coal dust.
    Cant fault their customer service but their products are not as good as Kosy King in my opinion.
    I would burn a bag a day these days and I will have a huge ash pile when I empty in the morning and the stove does not hold its heat like the ones from Kosy King.

Juts got an email of Kosy King and their warehouse prices are good value so I will go back to them for my next pallet even if they are slightly more expensive.

I found the exact opposite with the large from easyglow. Hardly any broken and very little dust. Ash from them is the same as any good quality ovoid I have used. The quality must vary from batch to batch as I have found this coal great . I was using kosy King for a good while before this order but they more than doubled their price for delivery so that put me off but have always found their ovoids to be good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Arthur Spooner

^^^^^^

Only this week I had a delivery from Coal Direct Ireland in Derry and no change in price from last year.

Hi. Just enquiring about the delivery you got from Coal Direct. Was the coal you got premium polish coal? If so was it ok quality? Did they take long to deliver? Thanks.

• Advertisement

If anyone has any good/not so good experiences with coal direct would be interested to hear. Thks.

If anyone has any good/not so good experiences with coal direct would be interested to hear. Thks.

Look back here you'll see I ordered from them a couple of months back 3rd order with them over the years and never had a problem. I normally contact them and order by phone because their web ordering never works for me.

We don't use coal we burn Union Nuggets (compressed brown coal) which don't seem to vary much so I can't tell you what their lump coal or ovoids are like.

Delivery is normally on the second day after ordering in the morning.

Ok. thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Hi Guys,
    I got a few pallets of coal and a double pallet of Hornbeam wood from Coal Warehouse last month. We split the wood amongst three households and we've noticed over the passed two weeks a large amount or red bettles or Lilly beetles coming out from the wood.

Have any of you purchased the Hornbeam and noticed this?

Are you sure its hornbeam. A nice dense wood to burn but its not a tree that is particularly known for any beetles.

Where are the bugs coming from? Under the bark, in the wood or are they just in with the logs?

Are you sure its hornbeam. A nice dense wood to burn but its not a tree that is particularly known for any beetles.

Where are the bugs coming from? Under the bark, in the wood or are they just in with the logs?

I paid for Hornbeam so I'm hoping that's what it is ðŸ˜႒
    The logs themselves are from Latvia I believe. They aren't visible when you pick them but they seem to come out from the bark.

Here's a pic of the wood and beetles in question.

I paid for Hornbeam so I'm hoping that's what it is ðŸ˜႒
    The logs themselves are from Latvia I believe. They aren't visible when you pick them but they seem to come out from the bark.

Here's a pic of the wood and beetles in question.

What I would do take a look for any exit holes in the wood and then take an axe and strip some of the bark off to see if there are any grubs underneath or if there are tunnels just under the bark.

Looks like Hornbeam and Latvia is known to produce it.

Is this your beetle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucujus_cinnaberinus, try googling for Cucujus cinnaberinus images. Edit: If so its a species that lives on dead timber and isn't going to bore holes in your furniture.

I'm just googling this myself as I've already said afaik Hornbeam isn't known for any beetle infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 justtrying312

What I would do take a look for any exit holes in the wood and then take an axe and strip some of the bark off to see if there are any grubs underneath or if there are tunnels just under the bark.

Looks like Hornbeam and Latvia is known to produce it.

It's just what I need so it's just what I will get myself. lol, will let you guys know if it's any good

Advertisement