Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Thinking of buying a tonne of coal and looking for recommendations
    It will be mainly used in a stove and a range .
    Will be used in an open fire but not on a frequent basis.

Any company in particular to use or what type of coal would be best suited.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 38 nano267

Can slack be burned in a multifuel glass stove

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

nano267 wrote: »
    Can slack be burned in a multifuel glass stove

Yes it's ideal for one of them.

I've found the best way to use it is get the fire well built up and then just as it is dropping from its peak cover the lot of it with a good layer of slack. It will almost seem like you have quenched the fire when you do it properly but it will just slow down the burning and retain heat for hours without needing to refuel.

If you have a good fire going late at night and add slack and then nearly shut down the stove before going to bed you just open the vents in the morning and throw on some wood or coal and it'll blaze away again.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Hi Folks,

Can anyone vouch for the quality of Ovoids that the Coal warehouse are currently selling? I had purchased from them about three years ago and it was very good quality. Purchased from Easyglow for the past two years, the first year was fine, but second year was a complete disaster. I was also thinking about using Kosy king, but thinking I'll go back to what I know. So would be grateful if anyone could just give me a indication of current Ovoid quality from Coal Warehouse.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

darkside71 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Can anyone vouch for the quality of Ovoids that the Coal warehouse are currently selling? I had purchased from them about three years ago and it was very good quality. Purchased from Easyglow for the past two years, the first year was fine, but second year was a complete disaster. I was also thinking about using Kosy king, but thinking I'll go back to what I know. So would be grateful if anyone could just give me a indication of current Ovoid quality from Coal Warehouse.

Thanks

I can, we bought 22 pallets for the estate last September and not 1 complaint. We will be doing the same again this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Can anyone vouch for the quality of Ovoids that the Coal warehouse are currently selling?
    I cannot recommend the CW ovoids.

I got 2 tonnes of the bad ovoids from CW last year and swore I would never again buy from them. I was tempted back when they offered a discount for people like myself who had purchased a bad batch.

So I purchased another 2 tonnes a few weeks back and regret it every time I light the stove. Not as bad ad the first bad batch I got but certainly not a patch on the quality they used to sell i.e. hard to light, less heat, far too much ash left in the grate.

I haven't complained again as there is no point. I certainly won't be buying from them again so a further discount is no use. Dunno where I'm going to go next, maybe Kosyking.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭P_Cash

podge3 wrote: »
    I cannot recommend the CW ovoids.

I got 2 tonnes of the bad ovoids from CW last year and swore I would never again buy from them. I was tempted back when they offered a discount for people like myself who had purchased a bad batch.

So I purchased another 2 tonnes a few weeks back and regret it every time I light the stove. Not as bad ad the first bad batch I got but certainly not a patch on the quality they used to sell i.e. hard to light, less heat, far too much ash left in the grate.

I haven't complained again as there is no point. I certainly won't be buying from them again so a further discount is no use. Dunno where I'm going to go next, maybe Kosyking.

very disappointing to hear this, I have just gone through a pallet of easyglow ovids and never again, tonnes of Ash.
    one thing i have realised thought from this thread is everyone has different reviews to give. if you go back a few years nearly everyone was in agreement about particular coal. its hard to judge now.
    CW is good a few posts back and you have a fresh pallet and say its a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

P_Cash wrote: »
    very disappointing to hear this, I have just gone through a pallet of easyglow ovids and never again, tonnes of Ash.
    one thing i have realised thought from this thread is everyone has different reviews to give. if you go back a few years nearly everyone was in agreement about particular coal. its hard to judge now.
    CW is good a few posts back and you have a fresh pallet and say its a disaster.
    I got some of the bad Easyglow ovoids, although EG sent me a replacement half ton. The replacements were OK but not as good as the original CW.

One thing both bad batches (EG &CW) had in common was too much ash. You'd wonder if they use a common faulty ingredient to cause this.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭golfpaul

Hi Folks,

Thanks

I got a ton end of January and it’s great, same as I have gotten before from CW, great heat and little ash. Much better than the EasyGlow stuff I got last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Got half tonne from Easyglow, nowhere near as good as previous ones. Original were large, second lesser ones were smaller ones. However, in saying all that they were great to deal with. I queried the quality of the smaller ones, they checked out my order number to determine the batch and then sent a replacement half tonne, without me even having to ask for same. Next ones were better, but still not as good as original larger ones, just dont seem to generate as much heat, but not significantly worse.
    There seems to be a real inconsistency of product from all suppliers at the minute, which would have you wondering is it a problem outside their control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

septicsac wrote: »
    Got half tonne from Easyglow, nowhere near as good as previous ones. Original were large, second lesser ones were smaller ones. However, in saying all that they were great to deal with. I queried the quality of the smaller ones, they checked out my order number to determine the batch and then sent a replacement half tonne, without me even having to ask for same. Next ones were better, but still not as good as original larger ones, just dont seem to generate as much heat, but not significantly worse.
    There seems to be a real inconsistency of product from all suppliers at the minute, which would have you wondering is it a problem outside their control?

Using the same wholesaler maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭darkside71

Thanks to everyone who came back with answers. Seems to be a really mixed bag of results out there at the moment. After reading I'm not sure what to do either. Only thing coming to mind is taking a spin up to maybe Cosyking when we can travel that far again and get a single bag of their Ovoids and test them out. It will probably be the middle of the summer, but at least it will give an indication of ash left over next day etc. Only reason I'm picking Cosyking is that I don't see any complaints about them so far. But if it's a wholesaler issue etc then it would seem like pot luck if you get a good batch or not.

I can't face getting another tonne again with the lifting and shifting, just to find out it's bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Hi Folks,

Thanks

I can vouch that they are excellent too

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Eamon Ryan here, put the coal back into the bunker (Coal is bad for de sky) and warm yourself up with a short cycle around the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clobanna

I bought 2 tons of coal recently, just sharing my views on the companies I bought from and the product received.

Coal Direct - Eco Glow
    I tried to order online and was unable. I then phoned in my order. The price on the website was €379, but I later looked at my account and I was charged €383.92. I rang them back and was told it was not their issue, was a problem with Sterling from the banks. The product itself was okay but I would not buy again.

Easy Glow
    I had bought from them before and found a lot of dust/slack in the bags. I emailed them and found them very obliging and they understood the problem I had. I ordered another ton and they gave me a few complimentary bags. I ordered online and the price online was what was deducted. Found the coal was okay and the dust/slack problem was improved. Found them professional with emails on tracking and they did a follow up phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

I purchased tonne of ovoids from CW last September. I was happy with the quality which was better than that of the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 the mahogeny gaspipe

anyone buy coal from the dandies

• Registered Users Posts: 38 clement

I got a tonne of Colombian from them in sep and just ordered my second tonne yesterday. Coal was great. Easy online order and came well wrapped and in a few days, seem like a solid crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Using the same wholesaler maybe?

That's what I was thinking, all getting it from same place and just bagging them in their own brand

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Easyglow putting up the price of a tonne by 20 quid from Monday 5th of July due to "uncontrollable worldwide cost shifts".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭dollylama

Just on this I picked up a 20kg bag of Surelite and a 40kg bag of Supacite when I was up there a few weeks ago. I don't think the Surelite is on their website, I can only see it on Hayes fuels but it was good stuff and definitely higher heat then CW ovoids. As for the Supacite, I'd nearly say this is the same ovoid as CW. Both burned well with no more or less ash than CW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Anyone ordered from CW since Brexit.

I take it ordering from NI is basically unchanged. Buy from CW. Organise pickup and delivery to RoI as usual ??

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Anyone ordered from CW since Brexit.

I take it ordering from NI is basically unchanged. Buy from CW. Organise pickup and delivery to RoI as usual ??

There is no change . Its still been done illegally. You pay no VAT and no Carbon tax . Smokey coals are still been delivered into smokeless zones .
    The couriers will rob you though by charging 80 euros a pallet of which there no doubt at least 20 euro of this goes back to CW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

2forjoy wrote: »
    There is no change . Its still been done illegally. You pay no VAT and no Carbon tax . Smokey coals are still been delivered into smokeless zones .
    The couriers will rob you though by charging 80 euros a pallet of which there no doubt at least 20 euro of this goes back to CW.

VAT is paid on every order. Twice. To CW and the courier.
    I bring smokeless ovids to a smokey area, they burn better.
    I use a local courier, they charge approximately €70. They seem glad of the business.
    Bad news for you, carbon tax ain't going to change anything about global warming but it probably does line someone's back pocket.
    Even if it cost more to do it this way, it'd still be worth it to piss off whining craw thumpers like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Hi all,

I bought a tonne of Ecobrite (Arigna) last winter for my Stanley Oisin and was happy with it - good burn time and heat with minimal soot. This year I'm thinking of switching to either Maxibrite or Welsh Anthracite which I'll be buying from Beatty's or Value Coal. I'm just unsure if the small saving I'll be making will be worth it.

Maxibrite is 84% anthracite and 12% pet coke. It's practically the same thing as Phurnacite, composition wise, but costs €79 less (delivered) a tonne (€450)

The Welsh Anthracite is obviously 100% pure anthracite (costs €464 a tonne delivered), there's no binder, Ecobrite is 96% anthracite with only 4% binder (€487.50 a tonne)

Has anyone here any experience of burning these ? I could see Maxibrite/Phurnacite burning hotter (pet coke) and leaving less clinker than the welsh anthracite or the Ecobrite but I've never used any fuels containing pet coke in my stove before.

Any advice or suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Idonotcare

I had a bad experience with Beatty's two years ago and I won't be buying from them again.

After I placed my order online and they took my money from my account, I tried to get a rough delivery date. Over a week of phone calls they were rude and unprofessional. They gave me incorrect delivery dates and times such that I wasted two days waiting for an order that hadn't been dispatched.

When the pallet arrived the coal was drenched wet. When I complained they offered a couple of bags of coal in compensation. Worst customer experience ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Has anyone bought the Hayes Superlite smokeless ovoids from The Dandys?

If so how did you find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Has anyone here used Hayes Glolite ? I’m struggling to see the reason for the €30-€40 a tonne difference between that and Hayes Surelite.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Has anyone ordered any coal recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Ordered a ton of ovoids from Coal warehouse 360 delivered to Cork yesterday.

Advertisement