Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Please be advised we have been notified of a further increase to coal prices with effect from 5th September 2022.

All products will rise by a further €50 per tonne.

Please note we have limited stock available at present but we are hoping to have some Polish Coal available in 2-3 weeks, price in the region of €670 per tonne.

As always we will do our best to get you the best deal possible and there will be discounts available on large orders or loads being shared by family or friends.

Please note we have softwood timber, peat briquettes and willow briquettes available and in the near future we will have turf available.

We understand their has been considerable increases to our prices over the last 6 months but we would be pretty confident we will remain the cheapest most competitive company in Ireland.

As prices have increased we will now be offering a mixed pallet service, available with coal, timber and all other products.

⭐️C U R R E N T  P R I C E S ⭐️

Slack - €300 per tonne

Polish Singles - €350 per tonne

Columbian Singles - €450 per tonne

Lignite Nuggets - €525 per tonne

Stoveblend (ovoid & lignite nugget mix) - €550 per tonne

Smokeless Ovoids - €600 per tonne

Countryblend - €600

Clearflame - €640 per tonne

Columbian Coal - €720 per tonne

Please note these prices will rise by €50 per tonne come 5th September 2022.

Please note we hope to have Polish coal available in early September at €670 per tonne.

Coalwarehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Who still buys slack? That stuff is so dusty as to be explosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I used to buy it upto recently when I got my stove. Its like coal dust and singles mixed up, I used to add a little water, its great to prolong the fire especially when you light it early on a winters day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Great for an open fire but filthy dirty. Back in the day people would throw used tea leaves on a fire if they were going out for a few hours for a similar effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

The price of coal is now ridiculous. Time to look at other options. it's just not worth the price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Yep: tea leaves and potato skins wrapped up in wet newspaper and put on top of the slack. The slack was usually what drifted to the bottom of the coal scuttle and could be used up. Kept the fire in grand, but the air quality in Dublin in those days was foul.

Have a ton coming from Coal Direct Ireland tomorrow morning . Paid the £559 seeing other places putting up their prices.

Looking for a bit of advice. We have a large stove in the house, a 20km one, Green stove I think it is. It’s a multi fuel one with a back boiler. Have 15 Rads in the house.

Usually I’d get it going with a few sticks , some fire lighters and some B Cosy Briquettes and then top it up with some coal. Once it starts to get going I’d top more coal on it and then some singles and it could take a hour or two for the back boiler to kick in. Some times longer.

Now the issue I have is the sitting room does be like a sauna and she loves the heat where as I think it’s too much . And also the Rad up stairs would be Luke warm but not all night . Now I could light it at 3pm say and it will still be glowing at 12 and in the morning the sitting room is still roasting .

My question is, would people run it differently as it seems to be using a lot of coal, and also the sitting broom is far too warm(radiatior is turned off in the sitting room when the stove is on).

Im open to any suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Nifuels are €650 for 1 x tonne Ovoids, delivered anywhere in Ireland.

Pulled the trigger today.

Germany is reopening its coal fired power stations for this winter, so I don't see any price drops soon. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/08/germany-reactivate-coal-power-plants-russia-curbs-gas-flow

Natural Gas is predicted to rise another 15% https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energy/natural-gas/european-gas-prices-rise-as-russia-cuts-gas-flow-to-20-/35905

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd say it's pretty much the same as my one, a Charnwood 16B 20KW. It uses on average 1 x 40 kg bag of coal every week during the winter plus firewood. Last winter , which was particularly long one, I used about 3 or maybe 3.5 ton of wood. It heats 10 rads, when I say heats , i mean that they are warm to the touch, but not boiling hot. To get that that hot, I have to turn on the oil fired heating, which is interlinked . So with the stove running, like you, the 3 rooms next to the stove are hot ( sometimes uncomfortably do) and the bedrooms will not be cold. No problems starting it up.....I give it a good clean out each morning, a firelighter sourrounded by bone dry cipin's, shovel of coal, and topped off with some logs. A touch if the match with the damper fully open, and off she goe's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

I've a Stanley cara inset stove with a back boiler, and could have it heating 8 rads as well as having the hot water cylinder with warm enough for a good shower without putting on the immersion. If the stove is kept going for the weekend the chimney brest will warm up nicely too so it's like an extra radiator. I cut and split my own timber. I like the relatively big firebox in the cara, if I've a big awkward block of timber that is hard to split I can usually fit it in. Those blocks of timber are super for keeping the fire in for the night and have lots of coals in the morning. Was following this thread and bought 2 tonne of coal ovoids online at the start of the summer, so between that and the 2 tonne of timber and a half tonne of turf all saved into the shed I'm fairly well set up for once October arrives. Have a oil boiler too but it'll be used very sparingly.

Thank you for the reply. I go nearly Use one 20kg a night to keep this thing going which is why I was asking about the logs. Which to me seems a lot .

Just to confirm that i’m reading your message right, are you saying you turn on the oil say for a hour which heats the bed rooms and then get the fire going and when that’s kicked in the rads are warm up stairs you turn off the oil as the stove would be warm enough to keep the house going ?

Every year I try to get the better of this thing and run it the best way but never succeed to open to all suggestions . Thank you again for your response .

20 KG per night???? I get a week out of 40 kg...but my house is a bungalow type. What make of stove have you? I open the air inlet to the max to get it going, then when its well and truly started, I shut the inlet down to the min. If I forgot to close the inlet, it can burn through fuel like no ones business. Do you close the intake after it gets going? Because if not, that would explain the massive fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

anyone burning 20kg in a stove either has a faulty stove or they are using the stove all wrong

The internet isn’t for everyone

I’d leave it say a quater open but I’ve never closed it down fully when it gets going as I was always under the impression that once the boiler had kicked it, you would need to leave it some what open because the rads would just go cold. This would explain why I would be using more coal of course .

This could be my issue here. Maybe I’ll get it going and then turn it down fully when the boiler has kicked in and see how it goes .

20 kg does seem a lot, but I was always under the impression because the stove is so big, it needs to be nearly full to keep the heat going . Which is what I unfortunately do.

So any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Hard to say without the full facts. People have posted on here previously about burning 2-3 tons of CW ovoids over a winter in back boiler stoves. The poster believes that this is a 20KW stove. In my stand alone 6.4KW Stanley Oisin I burn about 20kg's a week but I'm not relying on this to heat radiators or water and it is in use for circa 5-6 hrs a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭enricoh

The folks have a Stanley back boiler, the thing was like a hoover last winter. The hinges on the door were warped and the rope liner gone. I replaced both n fuel consumption halved easily. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

There have been wintery days when I would have used a 20kg bag of coal in my 2016 Stanley boiler stove. The back boiler really does soak up most of the heat.

Personally, once it heats up, I start closing the damper, but never 100%, as you must have a certain amount of oxygen going through the stove to keep the fire alive. Experiment a bit with it, and I'm sure that you will improve the fuel consumption, and get a better spread of heat. As a baseline, after I light the stove, once the room is warm, I start closing the damper. You get to know pretty quick how to manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭High bike

Local merchant here quoted 600 e a tonne for smokeless today,no Polish coal for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Limerick yes delivered,550 to collect don't know would that work well in a stove to heat 10 rads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Looking to get a ton or two of coal for an open fire for the winter before it increases. Normally burnt Texan or Columbian. What I liked about these is that they burnt well, nice and hot, but didn't leave massive amounts of very hot ash. Any recommendations for a good (hopefully cheaper) alternative for an open fire that works well. Are any of the smokeless fuels any good for open fires?

Located in Donegal, so looking at local supply or probably someone that offers nationwide delivery.

Thanks.

I got a text message from coal direct this morning to say coal is going up by £100 a tonne of next Thursday. A heads up to those of you considering buying a tonne.

Got the same email myself.....but as I have 2 ton , I think I'll leave it at that. But it does beg the question, what will Ireland be like by next march say, with all these across the board increases??? No matter what way you look at it, there's a finite amount of cash available to most households, and as the ads say " When its gone , its gone" Although maybe when purchasing drops, prices tend to fall too.. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Can someone please give an opinion on Eco-Glow from Coal Direct Ireland, especially the heat output and the ease of lighting etc.

Thanks!

I bought a ton a while ago and wont be opening a bag until the cold evenings set in.

its all very depressing to be honest, there's hundreds if not thousands of people who will hardly be able to afford to buy any coal, few people tend to buy it online and locally its selling for between 35 and 40 euro per 40kg bag. petrol and diesel on way towards 2 euro a litre again and i hear home heating oil is also edging northwards. All we can hope for is a fairly mild winter but no matter what it does get cold from decemebr through to april.

• Advertisement

Ordered kerosene today at 1.33 a litre and its going up next week by all accounts

Advertisement