Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Hopefully they have enough mark up to discount, but will wait until higher cost stock is moved before replenishing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Some suppliers also had old stock and sold that for elevated prices, I still have over a tone from the good old days when easyglow was cheap

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Agreed - unless we see a spike in commodity market the trajectory is down - I also

probably wait until June/July unless prices comes back before then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The complaint seems to be about coal for resale not coal bought by the end user.

Its still illegal to import it for home use but the rules don't seem ever to be applied. You can bring coal in from the North if you accompany it, ordering a pallet load and having it delivered doesn't seem to fall into that category.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Not illegal to import but a ton of coal would be subject to €89 in carbon tax and 13.5% vat as suggested by then minister for finance P Donohoe. I'm not sure it is as simple as that and if it was I'm sure the ROI fuel reps. or customs & excise would have taken a test case by now. You would also think it would have implications for other imports and exports with Northern Ireland.

Fuel Sales – Tuesday, 19 Oct 2021 – Parliamentary Questions (33rd Dáil) – Houses of the Oireachtas

It seems to be a grey area?

From the minister of finances written answer.

It is important to note that where a private individual travels to Northern Ireland to purchase solid fuel for their personal use, no SFCT is payable provided the private individual accompanies the fuel back into the State.

No one here is travelling to the North to the purchase fuel but thats the only way you are supposed to be allowed to do it and avoid SFCT.

I doubt there will be a test case against an individual when Discodogs article suggests there is commercial smuggling going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

You could always say that you purchased the coal in NI but couldn't fit the pallet in the car. So you hired a transport company to move it and you followed them across the border (you accompanied your coal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Any deals on coal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The importers are exceptionally good on forecasting. IT systems and mapping has taken this to a serious level of accuracy in all areas of supply. Easter eggs are an example where there was barely an egg to be found last Saturday. Back in the 90's you'd have them at half price for at least a week after Easter.

At $200 a 40kg bag of coal has a cost of about €8 from the coalmines.

At the crazy prices of $360 av and dollar close to parity, the cost price of 40kg bare coal was €16

So a difference of about €10 inc vat on a 40kg bag if most other costs of processing, shipping, bagging and distribution along with taxes and retail margins are relatively steady. Hence a price of €25-€27 for 40kg bag of smokeless should be seen in the autumn.

NI prices will be different due to carbon & vat difference - probably about £7 lower than the current price for 40kg

• Advertisement

Thanks for the post. So I should be looking at coal from the North. Should I buy now or wait ?

I'm not sure what coal you use but a ton of smokeless ovoids from Coal Warehouse NI will cost you €650 landed or €26 per 40 kg bag. My advice would be to wait.

Thanks for that - Its ovoid's that I require, but I am in no hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

dollar still weakening and no sign of any pressure on the commodity price, so if you don't need it now, wait until the price drop has fed in fully. That might be August/Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'll wait as well, still a good bit left from 2022 coal purchases, Thank God. July / August /Sept may be a good time. But almost out of Timber , possibly 10 days left now, if even that. Time to start looking around now. A reasonably good load of split logs ( not hardwood, unfortunately) are still at €250, same as before start of the winter, when I bought €500 worth, two loads.

Going from the conversation in the timber thread a lot seem to regret not buying logs early last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭jmreire

Normally, I buy logs / split timber a year in advance, so that by the time I need to burn them, they are as dry as could be. But for some reason I was unable to buy enough the year before last to cover this winter, so had to buy when I ran out, and Murphys law being what it is, that was at the height of demand, and at highest prices. So now while I have one shed nearly ( but not quite ) full yet for next winter, I'm literally scraping the bottom of the wood barrel to get to the end of this winter. The outlook on the coal front is looking far better though,,,,I reckon that I will have 1.5 ton left after this winter, largely because I had bought 2 ton while the prices were relatively cheap IE: around €150 - 220, and before they hit the €600+ heights. I think that even if the prices drop back down from the present height's, we can forget a return to anything like what we were used to before. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope sp.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Keith1111

Not much change in price what's everyone plan when they think there Goa stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

A 40kg bag bag of coal should cost 90c more from today with carbon tax being increased,

A bale of peat briquettes increased by 0.26c

But both stafford fuels and bord na mona have both said they are withdrawing supply of solid fuel from the market on may 31st,

i would think the fuel being drawn in from north with no carbon tax has made it impossible for staffords to compete in the market

Each bag of 40kg coal now sold correctly in the south is made up of €6.30 approx carbon tax

How can a irish retailer compete with that

• Advertisement

Where is the carbon tax money going ?

wont be king before we can’t go anywhere or do anything the way we are getting taxed and told to get electric cars that cost 60-80k

so we tax coal but ryanair can fly how many planes a day and that’s okay 🤷‍♂️ I think this carbon tax is a load of nonsense just to raise funds

Do the northern Irish suppliers stay open during the summer? I want to order a ton don't think the price is Goa get much cheaper 😕

the big companies like dandy easy glow etc do not close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭enricoh

6.30 in the difference is colossal on a bag of coal. Got a few emails off easyglow recently comparing their prices to local crowds down here. They didn't mention the e6.30 tax difference though!

Obviously trying to reel as many in as possible before the price drops in the summer.

I messaged smokeless direct there open all summer I like the

Golden glow stove coal

They seem to be currently best price I wait bit longer hopefully drops before end summer

From CW's FB page

📣𝑵𝑬𝑾𝑺 𝑭𝑳𝑨𝑺𝑯📣

𝙋𝙍𝙄𝘾𝙀𝙎 𝘼𝙍𝙀 𝘿𝙐𝙀 𝙏𝙊 𝙁𝘼𝙇𝙇 

✔️ We are in Negotiation with Suppliers and are hoping the prices will be dropping from (29th May) 

✔️Please follow our page for recent updates 

𝑾𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝑳𝒂𝒖𝒏𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝑾𝒆𝒃𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐 𝒐𝒓𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒑𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒗𝒊𝒆𝒘 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒔 🔥

𝑲𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒆𝒍𝒆𝒅 👀

What that really means is prices are going down in May so we want you to buy them before they go even lower in July and August.

You might send on Saturdays lotto numbers when you have a chance. I wouldn't say it's that straight forward but time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭enricoh

Got a good few emails from easyglow last month or two - trying to snare lads with the dear stuff!

Advertisement