Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

Has anyone anyone here any experience of CB fuels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clobanna

I bought 1 ton of Coyle Glo Therm Smokeless coal in 20KG bag. I tried it out in an open fire, very pleased with the result. I was comparing it with Golden Glow Eco coal in green bags. It had a slight bit more ash, the heat output was very good. The size of the coal was between the small and large ovids. I ordered it from Greers Coal Lisburn, Co. Antrim on a Friday and it was delivered Tuesday lunchtime. 1 ton including delivery was €440.00, so excellent value and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Jaysus lighting a fire in this heat lads calm down a bit

The internet isn’t for everyone

All in the name of research for boards members!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

That doesn't make sense €440 is equal to £375 whitch is the price excluding delivery.

They quoted me £75 delivery to Limerick which would be €525 total.

I'm currently trying to find a cheaper courier.

• Advertisement

When it’s so warm you won’t get a good idea of the heat but you will for ash output I guess

You're right that was the sterling price, euro price was €516.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭wassie

A lot of discussion about a drop in coal prices earlier this year. Anyone with understanding of the market and if there is still the possibility of a price drop before the cold weather hits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Was onto Greers Coal Lisburn, Co. Antrim and asked them about a tonne for their ovoids . This is the response :

A tonne of star fuel ovoids including delivery would cost £440.

Works out at €515 including delivery to Wexford. Not bad, but I don’t anything about quality of the Star fuel ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Nobody can say with absolute certainty which way prices will go. They could go up and they could go down as with all commodities. Right now there has already been a price drop by most merchants to the tune of a euro or so per bag as many on this thread predicted. Check around and if you see a price you like then buy it if you're happy, a tonne in the bunker is worth two on the truck IMO.

Looking at the commodity price the price on the market (about $160 per tonne as of right now) seems to be rising back up steadily so to me a major price drop looks unlikely in the near future unless they are looking to clear old stock. Me personally I'll be buying fairly soon, would have bought sooner but I wasn't around to take a delivery, and I still have half a tonne from last year so no major panic on my end.

You can view the coal futures chart and some info on the current global demand here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Old McGroin

Received a quote from Greers for a tonne of Coyle Glotherm Smokeless Coal, also £440 including delivery to East Cork. Sounds good but like you I'm a little hesitant on pulling the trigger. I've never bought in bulk before and I'm afraid of spending so much money on what might be crap!

Anyone here have any experience with this coal?

Thanks for that - very useful.

This is why Im asking - I appreciate the retail market wont follow the spot prices, but there seems be a disconnect between pricing. I appreciate there may be a lag as stocks are worked through and input costs (shipping, labour etc) have all risen substantially, but its been a good 6 months since this dramatic drop in the price of coal.

Using Coal Warehouse columbian coal as an example,

• Mar 2022 - €380/t
    • Jan 2023 - €770/t
    • Sep 2023 - €650/t

Where as the chart below would indicate prices are back to pre-2022 levels, but retail prices are still high. Is there price gouging happening or is there other factors I am unaware of here?

[Source here]

Post edited by wassie on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Take a spin up to Glanmire and buy a tester bag.

https://www.glanmiregardenfencing.ie/shop-online/coal/coal-glo-therm

Coyles are based in Donegal and supply a lot of the coal in the South including places like Hurley's Lisavaird West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah, coyles are a very well established supplier. Buy a bag first if you can, but I reckon it'd be good stuff. £440 is around e520. I might try them for 2 ton for e1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Anyone every use “Star fuel ovoids “ ? If so what’s your thoughts on them ? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 delerium1

Jumped on the glo therm. Works out about 10.35 per 20kg. Thanks to the subscriber for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

do any of these sellers seller lower quantities? Think my bunker is 300kg.

So I just placed my order for 1 tonne of Coyle Glotherm Smokeless ovoids from Greers Coal UK. Worked out at €513 including delivery to East Cork. So that's roughly €20 per 40kg bag, cheaper if you take out delivery charges. So about €17 per bag cheaper than what I was paying at the Co-Op. Hopefully it's good coal 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Basically because you are buying by the one ton pallet load you can have whatever you want on the pallet up to one ton (although they will put a couple of extra bags on sometimes). You pay the same for the delivery of one pallet load if you have 300kg or 1000kg. If you have room somewhere outside coal will store perfectly well with just a tarpaulin over it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just looking at the Greers website. A recognised premium brand Homefire Supertherm is a lot more expensive than the Coyles Glowtherm. Does this suggest that the Glowtherm isn't as good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭bleaks

They said to me the prices for supertherm haven't come down, but glowtherm has. Anyone used the glowtherm yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Lancashire-lad

Homfire supertherm is made by CPL in England. So it cost more due to shipping charges. Myself I know long buy any smokeless coal made my CPL because the large amount of ash it leave behind. Especially now they are including crushed olive stone in there briquettes. Which is all green washing.

If they reel want to be greener they would stop cured there briquettes at 300c they would let them cold cured instead like some smokeless briquettes make do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭High bike

Correct - its also referred to as bituminous or smokey coal. It not processed AFAIK, other than being washed and screen for sizing/grading. Don't quote me on that!

Post edited by wassie on

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hi what do you think of Coyle Glotherm Smokeless Coal ?

Hey, I received it but haven't really had the chance to use it yet. I'll update here when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheRacerboy5

What sort of coal is best for a stove? Just moved houses. First time ever bulk buying coal. Any information appreciated thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 36,047 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Buying multiple tons wholesale is way to go

different people have their own preferences, we use ovoids here there no flame but a red glow and very good heat output and minimum ash and as the bed of ovoids dies down i add in a block of oak

our neighbours then use colombian doubles as they prefer to see the flame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Agree with ovoids for stove.

Advertisement