Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

I burned a pallet and a half if the yellow bags over last winter.

I had the chimney cleaned before a new boiler stove was fitted last year.
    Yesterday I had the chimney cleaned again. Chimney sweep said it was absolutely filthy and had almost blocked half of the diameter of the flue near the cowl with soot.

I'm not knocking the value of this coal but just warning people to have their chimneys cleaned after using it. The guy said that only for he cleaned it himself last year he'd never have believed it was swept in a couple of years.

I've half a pallet left and I will be using it and probably more but just wanted to warn people about the cleanliness of the coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 invalidkey

TheTorment wrote: »
    I burned a pallet and a half if the yellow bags over last winter.

I had the chimney cleaned before a new boiler stove was fitted last year.
    Yesterday I had the chimney cleaned again. Chimney sweep said it was absolutely filthy and had almost blocked half of the diameter of the flue near the cowl with soot.

I'm not knocking the value of this coal but just warning people to have their chimneys cleaned after using it. The guy said that only for he cleaned it himself last year he'd never have believed it was swept in a couple of years.

I've half a pallet left and I will be using it and probably more but just wanted to warn people about the cleanliness of the coal.

Similar experience - I have operated with no cowl for years and started burning this polish stuff last Oct - cleaned chimney in Jan (previous clean July 14) and only a typical 1/3 of a carrier bag however after fitting a cowl in Jan to control rain and draught I cleaned chimney again 2 weeks ago and I got 2/3 buckets full! I'd need to burn with BNM polish now to do a proper comparison however as I've landed a boiler stove I'm moving to the Ovids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Burning some Black Diamond, great heat, some compressed nuggets in the bag - wtf ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ford4610

Does anyone recommend the best coal for a stove with a back boiler?

Also delivery does anyone know a cheaper courier than ace to deliver to clare? Is it cheaper to get two tonne delivered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ford4610 wrote: »
    Does anyone recommend the best coal for a stove with a back boiler?

Also delivery does anyone know a cheaper courier than ace to deliver to clare? Is it cheaper to get two tonne delivered?

Yes No and No, read the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Looks like the August offer is being extended through to 30th of Sept..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

vicwatson wrote:
    Burning some Black Diamond, great heat, some compressed nuggets in the bag - wtf ?

I having been burning it the last 2 nights in an open fire and I find the heat good too.

Compared to the last time I burned Polish from my local supplier, cleaning it out I found a very low amount of ash and a larger amount of cinders - some very large. Did you find that aswell?

Seems to be smoking a lot at the start but then settles. I only got the chimney swept recently but might get it done again in the New Year to see what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

My local seller has Stove Glo 40KG bags at about €13 a bag.
    Are they the same as Ovoids? If so, no point me getting a pallet is there?

I'd guess at €13 that Stove Glow is a mix and not just ovoides? Have you tried a bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Where's your local seller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'm in Limerick. Walters Fuels is who everyone here uses.
    Its a yellow bag, yes, I used it last year. It's fine for my 5kw stove. I will probably stick with that so. Thanks

Here is some of last years left over

vigv9t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

I was reading the post about a lot of soot/tar build-up in the chimney with the polish coal.

I have been burning the smokeless ovoids in a small stove since February last. Since then I've burned 10 bags (400Kg) of ovoids, plus some well seasoned wood.

I swept the chimney today. There was S.F.A. in it by comparison with previous times I've cleaned it

I swept out less than 1 litre of soot, which is a very good result!

I make a point of always keeping some airflow in the stove - I never close it completely.

So that is good news about the clean-burning nature of the smokeless ovoids, in my gaff anyways :)

BTW there were also seeds and twigs on the top of the baffle plate, looks like some birdies were dropping stuff down. Be sure to sweep your chimney before you start lighting up again this Autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

deandean wrote: »
    I swept out less than 1 litre of soot, which is a very good result!

With ovids I had about a desert bowl full of ash after the at least 15 bags. With the polish stuff it would be carrier bags full.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Hi - Does anyone know which of these coals would be comparable to the Staffords Coal in the silver bag ? I want to get some for my Dad - he normally buys a tonne of Staffords Polish Coal (I think, the silver bag) from the local Co-Op. He burns in an open fire

Would the regular polish coal be okay or should I go for the black diamond?

Also has anyone used the doubles or singles ? What would they be like to use on a stove on top of a turf fire ?

I used slack before and it was very dusty but good to put on top of the turf to keep it going ? Would the singles have less dust and more "pebbles" of coal ?

Sorry for all the questions but want to order the right stuff for both Dad (open fire) and ourselves (boiler stove) before Sept is out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 chubbs2011

Just ordered 1 ton of stove coal for 308euros, delivery with ACE. Hopefully it will be here in 2-3 days. If I had bought the same in my local supplier it would have cost me 167euro more so a great deal. Hopefully it burns well. I have a non boiler insert stove.

emg74 wrote: »
    Hi - Does anyone know which of these coals would be comparable to the Staffords Coal in the silver bag ? I want to get some for my Dad - he normally buys a tonne of Staffords Polish Coal (I think, the silver bag) from the local Co-Op. He burns in an open fire

Would the regular polish coal be okay or should I go for the black diamond?

Also has anyone used the doubles or singles ? What would they be like to use on a stove on top of a turf fire ?

I used slack before and it was very dusty but good to put on top of the turf to keep it going ? Would the singles have less dust and more "pebbles" of coal ?

Sorry for all the questions but want to order the right stuff for both Dad (open fire) and ourselves (boiler stove) before Sept is out

For your da id go with black diamond or the polish coal, used the polish last winter and was good, only recently got black diamond and so far so good, its closest the staffords silver bag and about 8.50 a bag cheaper is super at that price.

vicwatson wrote: »
    For your da id go with black diamond or the polish coal, used the polish last winter and was good, only recently got black diamond and so far so good, its closest the staffords silver bag and about 8.50 a bag cheaper is super at that price.

Thanks for the advice - I have placed an order this morning so should hopefully be getting it on Friday

in the end I went for the following:

6 x €8 polish coal
    11 x €10 Black Diamond polish coal
    5 x Singles
    3 x Ovoids

Will see how it goes - have to say both the courier company and the coal depot staff were very helpful and easy to deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Thanks for the advice - I have placed an order this morning so should hopefully be getting it on Friday

in the end I went for the following:

6 x €8 polish coal
    11 x €10 Black Diamond polish coal
    5 x Singles
    3 x Ovoids

Will see how it goes - have to say both the courier company and the coal depot staff were very helpful and easy to deal with

Hi there - sorry if this has been asked before but do you ring the courier company first to arrange a delivery and then the coal warehouse crowd ring you to confirm what you are ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hi there - sorry if this has been asked before but do you ring the courier company first to arrange a delivery and then the coal warehouse crowd ring you to confirm what you are ordering?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=821300761317482&id=658154320965461
    HOW TO ORDER YOUR COAL!
    STEP ONE-
    -TO BOOK YOUR DELIVERY WE HIGHLY RECCOMMEND ACE FOR A FAST AND EFFICIENT DELIVERY SERVICE. CALL 018702836 OR 018702822
    -GIVE YOUR ADDRRESS AND CONTACT DETAILS
    STEP TWO-
    WE CALL YOU BACK TO CONFIRM YOUR ORDER ON WHAT TYPE OF COAL YOU WOULD LIKE
    PLEASE NOTE DELIVERY IS INDEPENDANT

That's exactly what I did - Called Courier & booked transport, left contact details with them, Coal Warehouse rang me about 1/2 hour later & then I placed Coal Order with them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

That's exactly what I did - Called Courier & booked transport, left contact details with them, Coal Warehouse rang me about 1/2 hour later & then I placed Coal Order with them...

Thanks for that

Thanks for that

You pay for the courier and coal warehouse seperately with your debit/credit card

Got my delivery today of the stove coal, great service as I only ordered yesterday. It's a mixture of coal and ovoids but I'm a little worried as it said not to be used in a smokeless appliance???? I'm using it in a non Boiler stove, it's only 2 years old. Will I wreck the stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

chubbs2011 wrote: »
    Got my delivery today of the stove coal, great service as I only ordered yesterday. It's a mixture of coal and ovoids but I'm a little worried as it said not to be used in a smokeless appliance???? I'm using it in a non Boiler stove, it's only 2 years old. Will I wreck the stove?
    The installation & operation manual that came with your stove will say what fuels can be burned in it.
    As long as it is a 'multi fuel' appliance you should be ok.

Hi thanks for the reply, just had a look at the manual and it said although it was tested using smokeless fuel its capable of using 'other solid fuel' so hopefully it will be ok.

chubbs2011 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply, just had a look at the manual and it said although it was tested using smokeless fuel its capable of using 'other solid fuel' so hopefully it will be ok.

Just don't over fire it. Some people just over do it and fill their stove to the very top then get it as hot as it will go if done often enough that can eventually warp the castings.

Then don't forget to keep an eye on the chimney, ideally it needs sweeping every 3 months of use. If you are starting fires now then that really means sweeping twice a year.

We just got professional sweepers in to do the chimney so it's nice and clean. I usually only put a small layer of coal and let it simmer. I will have to get my husband to do a weekly clean this year. Not sure how to do it myself. Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated. Can't wait to get it going but it's still warm here so real need for a fire just yet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

my3cents wrote: »
    Just don't over fire it. Some people just over do it and fill their stove to the very top then get it as hot as it will go if done often enough that can eventually warp the castings.

That happened my parents insert. Were driving 40 miles away for nuggets that were recommended to them. Fires were mad hot alright, but they had to replace the 3 panels inside the insert, at €100. Is going to burn something different this year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just hand balled all mine in. A wrong address on the docket had the guy 20 miles beyond me. Told him to do me on the way home. Little did I know that he had pick ups as well, and blocked my pallet in. Some load in it. 8 bags in the bunker, and the rest in the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

my3cents wrote: »

Then don't forget to keep an eye on the chimney, ideally it needs sweeping every 3 months of use. If you are starting fires now then that really means sweeping twice a year.
    Are you burning old welly boots?
    One a year is plenty, any more and the money you save on burning coal is spent on chimney cleaning, you might as well use gas/oil radiators.

Advertisement