Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I had a chimney go on fire on me before. So I tend to clean mine 3 months after the first fire, and just after the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

beertons wrote: »
    I had a chimney go on fire on me before. So I tend to clean mine 3 months after the first fire, and just after the last.

With getting your chimney cleaned they say once a year.but every home is different. As in what fuel they use and how often it's used.
    Example someone that lights it over the weekend when they get a dvd and light it on a Sunday after dinner.then that's once a year In comparison with some one that has a boiler fire or stove or no oil or gas.then they use it a lot more and should be cleaned more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 chubbs2011

chubbs2011 wrote: »
    Got my delivery today of the stove coal, great service as I only ordered yesterday. It's a mixture of coal and ovoids but I'm a little worried as it said not to be used in a smokeless appliance???? I'm using it in a non Boiler stove, it's only 2 years old. Will I wreck the stove?

Well I have to say I'm not too impressed with the quality of the stove coal. It's filthy dirty, the glass goes black almost straight away and the heat out of the stove when I open it is unreal. We have a ton of it anyway so it will be used but I really hope I'm not doing any damage to the stove. I think next year I will just go with the ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

chubbs2011 wrote: »
    Well I have to say I'm not too impressed with the quality of the stove coal. It's filthy dirty, the glass goes black almost straight away and the heat out of the stove when I open it is unreal. We have a ton of it anyway so it will be used but I really hope I'm not doing any damage to the stove. I think next year I will just go with the ovoids.

Play with the airflow settings.
    Increase secondary airflow.
    Allow plenty of primary airflow until the fire is fully established and the appliance is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

deandean wrote: »
    Play with the airflow settings.
    Increase secondary airflow.
    Allow plenty of primary airflow until the fire is fully established and the appliance is hot.

Just some advice to all burning the Polish smokey coal ( it's really fcuking smokey) have your chemniy cleaned after 3 / 4 months if your lighting your fire every day. I got mine cleaned today and I couldn't believe the amount of soot from 1 year burning

Just some advice... Next time I will go with smokeless had a neighbour to the house yesterday thinking my chemniy was on fire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I got my delivery on friday and last night i looked at the delivery docket and it has a weight of 719.28 stated on it, i ordered 800kg/20 bags so if this weight is correct iv been shorted by 2 bags which is 10% of my order and im certainly not happy about.

has anyone else had this? what was the outcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I noticed a weight, and it wasnt 1000kgs what it should have been. Will check and post later.

Edit

My Ace delivery note says

Gross wgt: 650
    Chargeable wgt: 719.28
    Volume : 2.16

Have I only received 650kgs of coal when expecting 1000kgs ????

i mailed Ace to inquire and this is the reply i got
    Hi aaakev

We don’t measure and weigh the pallets – this is set as a default for the labels of coal.

If your concerned about the weight of the coal I would suggest you give the coal warehouse a call as they would pack the pallets etc, we just transport them from point A to B.

Thanks

E&OE
    Regards

So im now curious to know what "Chargeable weight" is stated on others delivery dockets?

vicwatson wrote: »
    I noticed a weight, and it wasnt 1000kgs what it should have been. Will check and post later.

Edit

My Ace delivery note says

Gross wgt: 650
    Chargeable wgt: 719.28
    Volume : 2.16

Have I only received 650kgs of coal when expecting 1000kgs ????

the 650 is the standard pallet size and a special offer for the coal deliverys, i knew that from the start as i queered it before i ordered. your chargeable weight is the same as mine so it seems they have this set up as the standard for the coal deliveries which confirms what my email from them says so im happy enough with that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

How much did delivery cost you for a pallet?

• Advertisement

foxy06 wrote: »
    How much did delivery cost you for a pallet?

€58 and change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Which type can I purchase that is smokeless for Dublin? I want the smokeless one... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Which type can I purchase that is smokeless for Dublin? I want the smokeless one... thanks

Call the coal yard and tell the type of fire you have and that you are in a smokeless zone they will advise

We might all have to be ordering the smokeless coal soon enough...
    http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0928/730807-smokey-coal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

TheTorment wrote: »

Very old news and I doubt there is any political will to implement the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

my3cents wrote: »
    Very old news and I doubt there is any political will to implement the ban.

First line states ban aha bee announced

'A nationwide ban on the sale, marketing and use of smokey coal from autumn 2018 has been announced by the Government. '

meathman0 wrote: »
    First line states ban aha bee announced

'A nationwide ban on the sale, marketing and use of smokey coal from autumn 2018 has been announced by the Government. '

It was announced ages ago hence old news but they have not made any indication that they are going to follow up on it which is probably why groups like the asthma society want it in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevegrace

TheTorment wrote: »

May buy a shed and stock up so I could gather a lot in 2 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

stevegrace wrote: »
    May buy a shed and stock up so I could gather a lot in 2 years :)

That's my plan

mikeecho wrote: »
    That's my plan

Have a pallet due tomorrow might get a pallet evey 2 months till its in the law books

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Why buy it over smokeless?

Price I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

It's better for my boiler anyway. All the petcoke in the smokeless would destroy my stove, as it would a lot of stoves. Be mindful to know what is suitable for your stove/boiler. That petcoke stuff is deadly.

I'll be topping up a few tons of smokey stuff next year and year after!

I find you get better heat from using less smoky than smokeless coal plus there is a big price difference only downfall from smokey coal is dirt on the glass but doesnt take to much to clean.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Smokey coal banned in most towns now anyway, smokeless ovoids all the way

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭plonker

just wondering which is the best smokey coal to buy from the coal warehouse for a stove time to buy a pallet before the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The uk budget???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bought a pallet of polish coal yesterday so will have plenty to burn :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Is the ordering process still the same, whereby you contact ace first and they pass on your details to CW?

• Advertisement

chasm wrote: »
    Is the ordering process still the same, whereby you contact ace first and they pass on your details to CW?

No It's all changed you have to go to ace website create an account and fill all the collection and deliver info out , bit of a pain first time you do it but it all auto saves for future delivers.

Advertisement