Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I have my bunker full and a pallet of coal wrapped in thick plastic, if you try and stack it so the rain falls off it will be better, I fashioned up a wooden frame at the four corners of the pallet with a fall at the front.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭wassie

Plus if they delivery to southern Ireland they have to pay the new carbon tax

No they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Lancashire-lad

Hi I am puzzled @wassie I am was going off a news report on a websites

where it said

"As the law stands, you can drive into the North and buy a few bags for your own use without paying tax. But if you order coal from Northern Ireland, carbon tax is due, and the Revenue should be notified."

Link to full news report.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2022/0407/1291067-smoky-coal-sold-low-smoke-zones/

The key word in your quote is "should" - People should. But they don't.

I think you have misread that article. Nowhere does it imply that anyone in the North is collecting carbon tax in the Republic. In fact, not only does the article discuss that it is not happening, but also how suppliers are getting around this.

Moreover, it is apparent to anyone following this thread that no one from the Republic is ordering coal from the North and paying the carbon tax, either to the supplier or the Revenue itself.

But if anyone feels the need to relieve themselves of the burden of the carbon tax, PM me and I'll send you my details for payment to sort it on your behalf 😁

/s

imagine contacting the tax man to pay carbon tax 🤣

• Advertisement

Revenue “Hello this is Revenue, how can I help today?”

Diligent Citizen “I want to know how to pay carbon tax due on a tonne of coal I bought from the North”

Revenue “Hey Seamus, we got a live one here”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Invincible

The Belfast agreement involving free trade covers this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Are there any bunkers that would hold a tonne of coal? I looked and couldn't find any, I think tarpaulin is the quickest and cheapest method if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭naughto

If you empty the bags in would it not hold a tonne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If there was it would get awkward to empty I would imagine,too much pressure on the door when full and too dar back when half or less full.

Hi one of my bunker will will hold half a ton.

when it full I take the smokeless ovoid from the top door, until I am half away down it does help having long arms. Rather than the bottom door makes it lot easier.

My idea of a bunker is a raised unit off the ground for easy access so you open the door and bucket is full, I have a galvanised 6 bag bunker sitting on blocks near the back door

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Grahamknowles

Got ovoids from.cw and am happy (can't believe I had a chance to test them in June!). I'm thinking about buying a ton of anthracite or similar and mixing. Any thoughts? And if so, I can't really work out the anthracite side of things. Am I right in thinking the esse is the pure form? Are there any other ones that are anthracite or already mixed?

Apologies if a daft question but new to coal

Hi anthracite ESSE ars small anthracite and yes it is pure. It look like normal coal but it is more shine

I have a open fire and muiltfuel stove which run 8 rads and our hot water. On the stove I use anthracite.

mixing anthracite with smokeless ovoid will make the anthracite burn to quickly in my experience.

once you get the anthracite buring control the burn strengths with your bottom air vent.

anthracite is best used when you need your stove on for 24 hours, 7 days a week.

The cheapest price for a ton of anthracite ESSE online I seen was on the click coal website. Which was £650

The advantage of anthracite.

clean burning it is natural smokeless.

Long burn time a full stove will burn for more than 12 hours without refuelling.

Give out more heat per kg than smokeless ovoid

It is waterproof it does not suck up water like ovoid.

disadvantages

The price

It is very hard to make a fire with it.

What I do, when the stove is cold I make a fire with smokeless ovoid. Then add the anthracite once the ovoid are burning.

when stacked for a long period of time the anthracite in the bottom bags starts to break up.

In the bags you will always get some slack.

You may also want to try LCC Hi Lite is also known as 'Ecobrite'.. Which is a small man made smokeless ovoid which is made of 96% anthracite duff and 4% starch binding agent. Which click coal have for sale at £500 @ ton.

If I can be of further help please ask.

Post edited by Lancashire-lad on

Wow thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply. I have a multi fuel feeding 15 rads here...gave up turf a couple of years ago, love wood but needs too much tending.

Would the great details you gave re anthracite also apply to LCC Hi Lite/Eco Brite? In terms of not mixing etc etc.

Thanks again

Hi have never used LCC Hi lite so would be hard for me to say. But I think If you mix it with anthracite it would make the anthracite burn a little bit more quickly than burning anthracite on it own.

The anthracite would burn more quickly if you mix them with coal warehouse smokeless ovoid because they contain pet coke house coal which both burn very quick on stove.

where have LCC HI lite does not contains pet coke and house coal

Any made made smokeless ovoid which can be used on open fire and stove will make anthracite burn more quickly.

If I had a stove of your size I would burn Large anthracite nuts in winter time when you need 24/7 heat. Or a man made smokeless ovoid which can only be burn on stove

A quick tip when making a fire with smokeless ovoid. I found if I use a broken ovoid and then I put the broken side of a ovoid next to the fire lights and kindling. The fire will get in more easily.

even this morning when I had strong wind coming down the Chimney

Thanks Lancashire-lad i will take your advice - there are some periods in winter when the 24/7 is needed. last one - i promise! - by large anthracite nuts - do you mean the ESSE stuff, or something like the Ecobrite you mentioned. thanks again. every day is a school day!

• Advertisement

there is a private message option if you two want to get a room

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Lads apologies in advance if a stupid question but is the smoky coal ban ineffect allover ireland?

Or still just in towns

No worries anthracite large nut is next size up anthracite ESES is the small size.

anthracite small nut are 22mm to 45mm

anthracite large nuts are 45mm to 65mm.

when you burn anthracite you will see very little flame after you got it burn. It will glow orange with a small blue flame now and again.

Whole country now Dave

Thanks again for your advice - much appreciated. And also for pointing me in the direction of what seems like a good deal, as per the forum topic.

easyglow.ie

Use the code 25OFF at checkout to automatically receive €25 off each tonne ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Doesn't seem a huge difference in price among any of them, is there any recommendations on who to go with (or avoid) in terms of product quality, or indeed customer service?

Looking at getting a ton for the stove, is smaller ovoids the best to go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭naughto

Coal Warehouse for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭amber2

I found the large ovoids better than the small ones wouldn’t buy the small again.

Advertisement