Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

stevegrace wrote: »
    No It's all changed you have to go to ace website create an account and fill all the collection and deliver info out , bit of a pain first time you do it but it all auto saves for future delivers.

Do coal warehouse then call you back - I think it used to be like this? Or do I call Coal Warehouse separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

slave1 wrote: »
    Smokey coal banned in most towns now anyway, smokeless ovoids all the way

A complete ban has been announce, not sure when it comes into affect

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevegrace

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Do coal warehouse then call you back - I think it used to be like this? Or do I call Coal Warehouse separately?

You will get a pdf label from Ace by email when you book your deliver which you then forward onto coal warehouse and then they will call you back for you to place your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

You will get a pdf label from Ace by email when you book your deliver which you then forward onto coal warehouse and then they will call you back for you to place your order.

Where do you get the email address for CW to forward the pdf label to? Not sure whether to play it safe and get the 72 hour economy delivery as CW were slow to get back to me the last time i ordered

chasm wrote: »
    Where do you get the email address for CW to forward the pdf label to? Not sure whether to play it safe and get the 72 hour economy delivery as CW were slow to get back to me the last time i ordered

I got the email from them which I can pm you not sure if I'm allowed post it on the forum and I picked 24 hour delivery.Don't think it matters which one you pick to be honest and coal warehouse called me back within 2 hours.

• Advertisement

I got the email from them which I can pm you not sure if I'm allowed post it on the forum and I picked 24 hour delivery.Don't think it matters which one you pick to be honest and coal warehouse called me back within 2 hours.

Yeah if you could PM it to me that would be great, Thanks

chasm wrote: »
    Yeah if you could PM it to me that would be great, Thanks

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

No It's all changed you have to go to ace website create an account and fill all the collection and deliver info out , bit of a pain first time you do it but it all auto saves for future delivers.

I must of missed that one ... when did that happen ? I got a delivery around 3 weeks ago and just called Ace like before ???

pm. wrote: »
    I must of missed that one ... when did that happen ? I got a delivery around 3 weeks ago and just called Ace like before ???

Not sure when it started but I tried the old way Friday and ace told me it has to be done online now due to the amount of calls they are receiving.

pm. wrote: »
    Not sure when it started but I tried the old way Friday and ace told me it has to be done online now due to the amount of calls they are receiving.

Yeah i was on their FB page and noticed the different info regarding ordering etc, they could make it a bit clearer to be honest! It appears i'm not the only one who was wondering about their delivery etc anyway lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I rang ace they said it was €20 cheaper to do online so €58 is what I paid for a pallet to wicklow.

Thought I would have got it for less

I rang ace they said it was €20 cheaper to do online so €58 is what I paid for a pallet to wicklow.

It was the same price over the phone last time also I say they just started charging the extra 20 euro due to the volume of calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Yes I got a quotation online today for a tonne and the cost of delivery is the same as that when I ordered over the phone a month ago! So no saving there!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ted1 wrote: »
    A complete ban has been announce, not sure when it comes into affect

2018 for the whole country. The ban includes the burning of the coal, previous bans in some areas were only for the sale and marketing of it.

HAHA maybe they save the €20.00...... by having us do the work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

2018 for the whole country. The ban includes the burning of the coal, previous bans in some areas were only for the sale and marketing of it.

Autumn 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

May buy a shed and stock up so I could gather a lot in 2 years :)

The smokeless is only marginally more expensive to buy, but is lasts longer burning so may actually be cheaper. Less and soot etc in the chimney, stove glass is cleaner.

Plus the air you/your kids/your neighbours breath in is way cleaner.

Like with ordinary coal dont buy the first bag you see.

If someone normally uses premium polish then need a comparable smokeless. Have seen people that traditionally wouldn't have ever have bought singles or slack but bought the cheapest smokeless they could find and were shocked when it wasn't great.

There is levels in the smokeless same as the sooty coal.

For eg Black Diamond easiflame is really brown coal/union nuggets and is grand for around this time of year

but Black Diamond Cosyglo generates crazy long term heat - way way better and longer burning than premium polish IMHO.

Overtime people will know the types of smokeless same as they do now with the traditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The snag with smokeless, in my experience is it burns the arse out of the grate. Haven't used it in years as I moved out of Dublin, is this still a problem? I wouldn't want to be replacing a stove every couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

I am getting the hang of using the smokeless ovoids in a small stove.
    I light the fire with a firelighter and some sticks with both air inlets fully open.
    After about 30 minutes when the fire is established, I leave the bottom spin valve just 1/4 turn open, and the secondary inlet open a crack to keep the glass clean.
    The ovoids settle to a glowing dull red and produce their heat.
    I have weighed it, 3kg of ovoids produces good heat for a full 8 hours.
    And I have 1000kg. Yeaaa☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

deandean wrote: »
    I am getting the hang of using the smokeless ovoids in a small stove.
    I light the fire with a firelighter and some sticks with both air inlets fully open.
    After about 30 minutes when the fire is established, I leave the bottom spin valve just 1/4 turn open, and the secondary inlet open a crack to keep the glass clean.
    The ovoids settle to a glowing dull red and produce their heat.
    I have weighed it, 3kg of ovoids produces good heat for a full 8 hours.
    And I have 1000kg. Yeaaa☺

That's the smokeless ovids at €12 a bag yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone know a typical delivery charge to Galway ? Is it priced by pallet irrespective of the number of bags ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Discodog wrote: »
    Anyone know a typical delivery charge to Galway ? Is it priced by pallet irrespective of the number of bags ?

Go onto ace and set up email and password you will then get quote online there and then.

I was charged €58 from Tyrone to Wicklow for pallet which is 25 bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

put in the details for a pallet to cork it's showing up at €64.58 including vat anyone try the vat free option? Was going to order 25 bags of the ovids which would cost me about €14.60 a bag all in. Not sure what the equivalent price of ovids down here is!

Cape Clear wrote: »
    put in the details for a pallet to cork it's showing up at €64.58 including vat anyone try the vat free option? Was going to order 25 bags of the ovids which would cost me about €14.60 a bag all in. Not sure what the equivalent price of ovids down here is!

from my experience its about €18.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Marhay70 wrote: »
    The snag with smokeless, in my experience is it burns the arse out of the grate. Haven't used it in years as I moved out of Dublin, is this still a problem? I wouldn't want to be replacing a stove every couple of years.

Thats the petcoke in blended fuels, petcoke burns at a far higher temperature and can oxidise, corrode, crack, warp grates and stove parts. Any fuel with petcoke in it has to be clearly labelled as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Thanks crabbypaddy, so which of the ones on offer here have petcoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sledger77

Took delivery of 25 bags of Country Blend yesterday (mix of ovoids, nuggets and pet coke). Used some last night in an open fire. Seems to be good stuff.

Ordered online with Ace last Friday (€58.43 for delivery to Kildare). E-mailed the order confirmation including the attached labels to Coal Warehouse. They rang me back within half an hour to take payment for the coal.

Very good experience overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Discodog wrote: »

62 euro i paid,per pallet

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pzermelzer

What is their email address to try and get the order in before the end of Sept :) have done the ACE thing and have their email confirmation .

• Advertisement

pzermelzer wrote: »
    What is their email address to try and get the order in before the end of Sept :) have done the ACE thing and have their email confirmation .

Pm sent

Advertisement