Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Is this still the way to do it ?

No, read the posts above yours. New transportation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I wonder why ace stopped delivering for them. i must be getting one of the last deliveries of coal from ace tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

chasm wrote: »
    I got coal delivered last week, ordered delivery through ace (after having to set up an account!) But another company delivered it, so they must have been contracting out the work as I could have sworn ace delivered to previously ?

Same for me. I put 2 orders through ace end of august and early sept. but it was delivered from promto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Well I genuinely hope the new courier has an electric pallet truck.
    The ACE drivers are all very decent guys, but trying to move a tonne of coal with a hand pallet truck over anything bar a dead level surface was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

marvsins wrote: »
    Same for me. I put 2 orders through ace end of august and early sept. but it was delivered from promto.

Same here pronto driver was delighted to hear ace had stopped doing these runs. Trucks not suitable for this kind of work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Ordered on Monday and delivered at 7.45 this morning. Some load. My parents are well pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I wont be ordering until the first week of December.
    It would be great if ppl could comment here on the delivery service, as i have a long gravel drive,that a pallet truck would never be able to negotiate.

but if the truck had a tail lift, it could drop a pallet on the patio

mikeecho wrote: »
    I wont be ordering until the first week of December.
    It would be great if ppl could comment here on the delivery service, as i have a long gravel drive,that a pallet truck would never be able to negotiate.

but if the truck had a tail lift, it could drop a pallet on the patio

Its a pallet truck which won't move on the gravel.

We had to get the pallet dropped and use a wheel barrow to move the bags of coal.

OnLooker wrote: »
    Its a pallet truck which won't move on the gravel.

We had to get the pallet dropped and use a wheel barrow to move the bags of coal.

What sort of truck arrived.. was it an artic or rigid?

What sort of truck arrived.. was it an artic or rigid?

Rigid. We live on a farm so got the truck to come in the back entrance so we didn't have far to move by barrow.

• Advertisement

OnLooker wrote: »
    Rigid. We live on a farm so got the truck to come in the back entrance so we didn't have far to move by barrow.

Resisting the ur

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Resisting the ur

And breathe (I was going to say in and out.... but I thought that might be misconstrued too!!!) :P

I'm about to order a pallet but would like a little advice first. I'm in Dublin so need smokeless and have a fire door on my fire with a back boiler which heats 7 radiators. Any suggestions on which fuel or combination would be best to go for?? I'd appreciate ANY help....

You can really only use the smokeless ovoids in Dublin IIRC (but they are A-1 grand, and a good price).

deandean wrote: »
    You can really only use the smokeless ovoids in Dublin IIRC (but they are A-1 grand, and a good price).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Has anyone tried the ovoids for a stove? I'd like to get some, but not wasting hundreds if they burn like stones. I usually buy supertherm or arignas ecobrite in my stove. Any comparison to this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Screamer,
    Bought a pallet a few weeks ago, have tried the Ovoids and they burn grand, good heat and plenty of hot water from our stove, I'll be back for more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Connrang wrote: »
    Screamer,
    Bought a pallet a few weeks ago, have tried the Ovoids and they burn grand, good heat and plenty of hot water from our stove, I'll be back for more

Are they easy to light?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bit of wood to get it started, then put on a shovel full. No complaints here with the smokeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Bought a pallet of smokeless ovoids, and they are just as good as cosyglo gems, they last a small bit longer in the grate, and they keep the stove glass just as clean as the cosyglo did, the big difference between the two is that their is less than half the amount of ash than with cosyglo. All in all i will keep buying this smokeless coal, i was worried that it would not be as good as cosyglo, but i had to find out, because of the huge difference in price, nearly 10 euro cheaper per bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

screamer wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the ovoids for a stove? I'd like to get some, but not wasting hundreds if they burn like stones. I usually buy supertherm or arignas ecobrite in my stove. Any comparison to this stuff?

I got a pallet of ovoids delivered earlier this week and find them great, the sort of coal you can load up in the stove and it wont overheat but just burns away for hours and hours. Only downside is it nearly killed me carrying 25 bags from the front of the house back to the shed, heavy feckers so they are. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cocoon wrote: »
    I got a pallet of ovoids delivered earlier this week and find them great, the sort of coal you can load up in the stove and it wont overheat but just burns away for hours and hours. Only downside is it nearly killed me carrying 25 bags from the front of the house back to the shed, heavy feckers so they are. :D

I also had the same problem moved a ton lot by hand.

You be super strong if you done that every day could really feel the burn......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Cocoon wrote: »

I ordered mine in 20kg bags, extra leg work moving 50 bags but much easier to handle :D

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Are they easy to light?

Yes, a firelighter some kindling and off they go. We use a stove and are happy with results

chasm wrote: »
    I ordered mine in 20kg bags, extra leg work moving 50 bags but much easier to handle :D

Damn, I too got 40Kg bags and they were a challenge, had I know they had the 25kg bags I could have gotten them, the wife is more than capable of carrying them herself, must keep that in mind for Jan next

If you were to burn the ovoids WITH logs, would this make the ovoids burn quicker and so lessen their effect? Would it be best to just burn the ovoids on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevegrace

et101 wrote: »
    If you were to burn the ovoids WITH logs, would this make the ovoids burn quicker and so lessen their effect? Would it be best to just burn the ovoids on their own?

I find if I put on a shovel or two of the ovoids and then 2 blocks on top it gives me the best results a couple of hours great heat with minimum attention to the stove.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Connrang wrote: »
    Damn, I too got 40Kg bags and they were a challenge, had I know they had the 25kg bags I could have gotten them, the wife is more than capable of carrying them herself, must keep that in mind for Jan next

Jaysus, I'd say you'll pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I got the ovoids during the week and i used ecobrite before in my stanly stove and these ovoids are better in my onion. They burn longer and there isnt much ash left. If you put 2 shovels of this stuff on before you go to bed in the night it will easily be still going in the morning as long as you have the correct draught setting on your stove. 21 euro for ecobrite compared to 12 euro for the ovoids too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Cape Clear wrote: »
    put in the details for a pallet to cork it's showing up at €64.58 including vat anyone try the vat free option? Was going to order 25 bags of the ovids which would cost me about €14.60 a bag all in. Not sure what the equivalent price of ovids down here is!

The margin starts to get smaller with the ovoids.

Around €14.60/14.80 per bag all in for the big load of 25 bags delivered.

Or €18.50/19 (actually €37/38 for two bags) buying local.

still around €4/€4.50 per bag in the difference which is a good bit but for those that
    - wouldn't use the 25 bags in a season
    - or are tight for storage
    - or tight to have the cash to pay for full pallet

Its not as clear cut a saving as with the smoky.

(FWIW I think the ovoids are far far superior to the smoky - just saying for some might be easier buying local)

Advertisement