Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

macjohn wrote: »
    The margin starts to get smaller with the ovoids.

Around €14.60/14.80 per bag all in for the big load of 25 bags delivered.

Or €18.50/19 (actually €37/38 for two bags) buying local.

still around €4/€4.50 per bag in the difference which is a good bit but for those that
    - wouldn't use the 25 bags in a season
    - or are tight for storage
    - or tight to have the cash to pay for full pallet

Its not as clear cut a saving as with the smoky.

(FWIW I think the ovoids are far far superior to the smoky - just saying for some might be easier buying local)

Valid points there John. Savings in this BA comes down to cash flow or ones ability to share a pallet with family or friends. I fear the door will close on this particular BA in the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

No idea if these are any good to burn, but tonne pallet of lignite ovoids from company in the republic is 359 or 14.36 a bag delivered.
    http://www.mcldirect.com/SF-NUG-BLUE-1T-p/sf_nug_blue_1t.htm

Looking at lignite coal properties I don't think these would be so great TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Sometimes if something sounds too good to be true , it usually is .

A bargain alert can sometimes be a good thing and other times not so much.

Lets look at this a different way :
    Last year a 1000 litres of kerosene was €900 and was expensive . Today you can buy the same 1000 litres for €540 .
    So people are running to the phones to order 1000 litres while the price is so low .

Now if you asked someone to buy €540 of coal , they would say no , because it is too expensive .
    Buy 1000 litres of Kerosene now and you will have enough for about 3 months .
    Buy €540 of coal now @ €10 bag and you will have 6 months supply burning 2 bags a week.

However , not everyone can afford to buy 1000 litres oil or 50 bags of coal up front , so in most cases people don't mind paying an extra €2 a week and buy 2 bags of coal a week from local supplier .

In my local service station , many many people buy 2 bags coal weekly and 25 litres kerosene weekly .

its a cash-flow solution .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

2forjoy wrote: »
    Now if you asked someone to buy €540 of coal , they would say no , because it is too expensive .
    Buy €540 of coal now @ €10 bag and you will have 6 months supply burning 2 bags a week.

You'd have to burn a lot more coal for the equivalent heat of the kerosene over 3 months.

1000l / 12 weeks = 83 liters of kerosene a week = 813kwh minus boiler inefficiency say 20% = 650kwh delivered to the home.

2 bags of low quality coal = 560kwh
    minus open fire inefficiency 75% = 140kwh delivered to the home.
    minus open fire with efficient back boiler 60% = 224kwh delivered to the home.
    minus stove inefficiency 30% = 392kwh delivered to the home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Where I live,the builders installed bog standard open fires with oil as the source for heating rads,for the sake of a few extra quid when building,they could have installed back boilers.Everyone around here lights their fires in the evenings while also burning oil to heat the house.Double the cost straight away,as a result quite a few have installed boiler stoves,myself being one of them.
    I got rid of my oil burner and tank altogether,ordered a pallet of coal last year and actually have burned very little of it as I'm in the lucky position to have access to a limitless supply of free firewood.
    I use the cheap smoky coal which is dirty compared to ovoids but it burns well with firewood and I actually need very little to heat my rads-too much piled into the stove causes problems with smoke,soot and tar.

BTW-My local coal yard does stove coal (ovoids) for €15 a bag.He seems to get a lot of people who call and buy one or two at a time.Bulk buying to save doesn't enter their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

2forjoy wrote: »
    Sometimes if something sounds too good to be true , it usually is .

A bargain alert can sometimes be a good thing and other times not so much.

Lets look at this a different way :
    Last year a 1000 litres of kerosene was €900 and was expensive . Today you can buy the same 1000 litres for €540 .
    So people are running to the phones to order 1000 litres while the price is so low .

However , not everyone can afford to buy 1000 litres oil or 50 bags of coal up front , so in most cases people don't mind paying an extra €2 a week and buy 2 bags of coal a week from local supplier .

In my local service station , many many people buy 2 bags coal weekly and 25 litres kerosene weekly .

its a cash-flow solution .

In the north, kerosene comes in at the equivalent of 40c a litre, in the south it is 54-56c a litre.
    Can the northern suppliers deliver down here like the coal suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

In the north, kerosene comes in at the equivalent of 40c a litre, in the south it is 54-56c a litre.
    Can the northern suppliers deliver down here like the coal suppliers?

The northern coal suppliers don't deliver down here, you have it collected. Seems to be a little bit of a grey area but from what I understand, theoretically you're supposed to accompany the shipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Getting a bit nip to be sitting on top of a pallet of coal heading south from Coalisland...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Marhay70 wrote: »
    The northern coal suppliers don't deliver down here, you have it collected. Seems to be a little bit of a grey area but from what I understand, theoretically you're supposed to accompany the shipment.

This one does

Www.coaldirect.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Anyone having a problem with Coal Warehouse FB page??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I only use premium stove coal as its warmer, less ash and keeps the glass clean.

McCarthy's in prosperous are selling 3 x 35kg for 50e.

Is there better than that around kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Has anyone bought the stove coal from coal warehouse??

I want the most heat, least ash and longest burning fuel for the winter.
    Is this the stuff to buy?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No complaints with the smokeless ovoids here. Used them last night and burnt half what I did last year. Have an insert myself. Great gear altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Has anyone bought the stove coal from coal warehouse??

I want the most heat, least ash and longest burning fuel for the winter.
    Is this the stuff to buy?

If you have a stove. Its your only man!

I have used everything in my little Oisin , from cut and seasoned wood to all sorts of different coal.

The Board Na Mona premium stove coal is the best by far. Its slow to get going, but the heat builds nicely and efficiently . Half a bucket will heat my stove from 5pm to right through the night till the early hours of the morning. The radiant heat trapped in the chimney breast keeps the house warm for the rest of the next day.

And it keeps my flu, stove and ash pan relatively clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭horse7

Does anyone know if they still sell coal on the old Dublin road 'julianianstown to Drogheda?

Just placed an order for a pallet of ovoids. Procedure was 1. ring the Coal Warehouse 0488 774 0911 and place order 2. email Liam Connolly Freight brian.woods@liamconnolly.co.uk giving him details of your order including your name, address and telephone number. He will then call you back and get details for payment. All very simple when you know how!! My order for a pallet of ovoids (in the easier to handle 20kg bags) came to €320, delivery to Dublin €46.60, working out at €14.66 per 40kg..... not bad at all and if it's as good as beertons says I'll not only be happy but warm too hip hip!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Has anybody got any ideas on what would be the best coal for a multi-fuel top down boiler?

Not sure if polish coal or ovoids or a mixture would be best.

Any suggestions welcomed.

northknife wrote: »
    Has anybody got any ideas on what would be the best coal for a multi-fuel top down boiler?

Not sure if polish coal or ovoids or a mixture would be best.

Any suggestions welcomed.

If you message them on their FB page they are pretty quick at replying. I ordered a pallet of smokeless ovoids on Wednesday, it was delivered on Friday and I used it last night, and would defo recommend it. Great heat and this morning the fireplace is still quite warm. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Has anyone any experience of the smokeless coal in aldi:- €5.49 for 10kg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Not a clue but what I can tell you is that it's very expensive for 10kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

damian139 wrote:

Got a bag yesterday and it burns nicely but nothing special .

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

damian139 wrote: »

is it a 6 sided lump ?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

2 bags of low quality coal = 560kwh
    minus open fire inefficiency 75% = 140kwh delivered to the home.
    minus open fire with efficient back boiler 60% = 224kwh delivered to the home.
    minus stove inefficiency 30% = 392kwh delivered to the home.

I'm confused ! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

damian139 wrote: »

I've used it in the past and found it fine. Yes, these small bags are expensive, but they suit me as they are easy to handle and store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Not a clue but what I can tell you is that it's very expensive for 10kg.

Spotted 20kg bags for €12 on the forecourt yesterday. Aldi price isn't all that bad when you consider the size of bag. The 40kg bag is always going to be much cheaper per kg. Don't think you will get much cheaper than €5.49 for 10 kg tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Spotted 20kg bags for €12 on the forecourt yesterday. Aldi price isn't all that bad when you consider the size of bag. The 40kg bag is always going to be much cheaper per kg. Don't think you will get much cheaper than €5.49 for 10 kg tbh

The Emo station in mount brown near St James hospital does 20kg bags of smokeless for €7.99, I used it last year and it was fine mixed with briquettes in the stove. It does burn very hot because it contains petcoke, but mixed with briquettes there is enough ash to protect the grate. This year I bought a pallet of ovoids and must say they are great for use in a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Exactly, you should be paying no more than €8/9 for a 20kg bag of smokeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Here's another place for different mixture of smokeless coal

Www.thedandys.ie

389 Euros for 1 tonne delivered to Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Here's another place for different mixture of smokeless coal

Www.thedandys.ie

389 Euros for 1 tonne delivered to Dublin

On a par with most suppliers down here. Nothing really special. And its coming from Bandit Country:eek:

Advertisement