Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

On a par with most suppliers down here. Nothing really special. And its coming from Bandit Country:eek:

Really where? I'd prefer to get it local

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

"We provide, free of charge, oil bowsers (1000 Ltr capacity) to our customers to transport thier oil home."
    OMG.
    Just, OMG.
    Well I guess at least you would be accompanying your fuel over the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Just had delivered a 1 ton selection of polish coal, stove coal and smokeless ovoids. I must have picked the hottest day in november on record to have them delivered. Wrecked after moving 45 bags into storage. Will report back when using them in stove how they fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

22.2222222222KG bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Aenaes wrote: »
    22.2222222222KG bags?

He didn't say they were all the same size bags!

• Advertisement

Aenaes wrote: »
    22.2222222222KG bags?

coal-20kg
    stove coal 25kg
    ovoids 25kg

must easier to shift about

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

et101 wrote: »
    Just placed an order for a pallet of ovoids. Procedure was 1. ring the Coal Warehouse 0488 774 0911 and place order 2. email Liam Connolly Freight brian.woods@liamconnolly.co.uk giving him details of your order including your name, address and telephone number. He will then call you back and get details for payment. All very simple when you know how!! My order for a pallet of ovoids (in the easier to handle 20kg bags) came to €320, delivery to Dublin €46.60, working out at €14.66 per 40kg..... not bad at all and if it's as good as beertons says I'll not only be happy but warm too hip hip!

Any idea on the sulphur content of these Ovoids ?

High Sulphur can cause havoc with Stove Glass and the coatings inside and flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I got 1 ton of coal doubles from a crowd in the north , and they arranged delivery.

Coal 25 x 40kg bags cost €250, paid over phone with C.C
    Paid the delivery driver €50 when he delivered to North Tipperary.

Coal arrived on a pallet wrapped in plastic so coal is bone dry and the delivery driver used a pallet truck to wheel it into my yard, I didn't have to lift one bag. :)

If anyone wants details for this crowd just ask.

listermint wrote: »

Not sure, but the ones I ordered from coal warehouse look exactly the same as the ones I bought in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Not sure, but the ones I ordered from coal warehouse look exactly the same as the ones I bought in the south.

Ya I think they are similar to the BnaM Cosyglo gems. I bought 8/17 bags ovoid/ polish coal and now wish I'd bought more if the ovoids. They are great in my stove. They last a long time and there is great heat from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

I might try a few bags of slack next time to keep the stove going overnight.
    Is anyone here using slack in this way? I have only read about it, never used it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

deandean wrote: »
    I might try a few bags of slack next time to keep the stove going overnight.
    Is anyone here using slack in this way? I have only read about it, never used it so far.

I got it last year and found it smothered the fire... Maybe I was using it wrong but didnt like it at all. I found all I was left with was a heap of burnt slack the next morning it didnt burn, i had the airflow opened that bit more aswel.

Lads what do ye think of the ovids for a back boiler stove ?? I have the premium polish and its smoking the whole estate :o but gives out great heat. I believe Mullingar is now a smokeless zone and I getting a bit worried. Also if anyone has ordered 25 bags what was the total cost including delivery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

pm. wrote: »
    I got it last year and found it smothered the fire... Maybe I was using it wrong but didnt like it at all. I found all I was left with was a heap of burnt slack the next morning it didnt burn, i had the airflow opened that bit more aswel.

Lads what do ye think of the ovids for a back boiler stove ?? I have the premium polish and its smoking the whole estate :o but gives out great heat. I believe Mullingar is now a smokeless zone and I getting a bit worried. Also if anyone has ordered 25 bags what was the total cost including delivery ?

Shouldn't be using regular coal in a stove anyway, very bad idea.

Only use smokeless/ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Ovoids are the way to go for a stove. A bucket or two of them will keep your stove going all day and put out great heat. Smokey coal in a stove is a false economy and not good for the long-term health of your stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

listermint wrote: »

No idea about the sulphur content but have burnt them a few nights now and although they do leave a slight film on the glass of my fire door, it is not nearly as bad as some of the coals I used last winter. All in all I'd have to say I'm pleased with my purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Would anybody here tell me what the Clearflame and Masterflame are? I bought a pallet of Ovoids and stove coal from them last year and was looking at splitting a pallet with some family this time who have open fireplaces. I'm going back for some more ovoids as I found them great and wont be going back for more stove coal as I found it filthy to burn. Has anyone bought anthracite off them? I asked about it last time and they said they had but they sent it back because people were reporting that it was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Would anybody here tell me what the Clearflame and Masterflame are? I bought a pallet of Ovoids and stove coal from them last year and was looking at splitting a pallet with some family this time who have open fireplaces.

none is going to be able to tell you what the above are , because different suppliers use the same name , so wats is in one bag may not be in another bag of same name .

example is this
    kingcoal website says that clearflame is a mix of petcoke and ovids and mfsfuels website says that clearflame is petcoke made from oil residues .
    dublinfuelcentre says that clearflame is a blend of large petcoke and hi-lite.

so who do you believe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Would anybody here tell me what the Clearflame and Masterflame are? I bought a pallet of Ovoids and stove coal from them last year and was looking at splitting a pallet with some family this time who have open fireplaces. I'm going back for some more ovoids as I found them great and wont be going back for more stove coal as I found it filthy to burn. Has anyone bought anthracite off them? I asked about it last time and they said they had but they sent it back because people were reporting that it was poor.
    No advantage to anthracite over ovids carbon content is about the same but anthracite is impossible to light on its own and difficult to burn completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Just wondering if anyone is using the ovoids in an open fire and how do you find them?

I'm using their Black Diamond polish. It burns well with good heat but I think I might have to get the chimney swept an extra time (not much rain lately and alot of soot on my silver car).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

odckdo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone is using the ovoids in an open fire and how do you find them?

I'm using their Black Diamond polish. It burns well with good heat but I think I might have to get the chimney swept an extra time (not much rain lately and alot of soot on my silver car).

Mix the 2 together for better burning of the standard Polish coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

2forjoy wrote: »
    none is going to be able to tell you what the above are , because different suppliers use the same name , so wats is in one bag may not be in another bag of same name .

example is this
    kingcoal website says that clearflame is a mix of petcoke and ovids and mfsfuels website says that clearflame is petcoke made from oil residues .
    dublinfuelcentre says that clearflame is a blend of large petcoke and hi-lite.

so who do you believe ?

So it's more than likely a mixed bag. Don't think I'll get some myself so... I was just wondering what they were as I thought they might have been some other type of coal. If their other bags of mixed stuff are anything like the stove coal I'll be steering clear. By any chance would anyone recommend one for open fires? From my own experience before I had a stove ovoids were a bit crap in the open fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

By any chance would anyone recommend one for open fires? From my own experience before I had a stove ovoids were a bit crap in the open fire.

I use the Black Diamond Premium Polish which I find burns well in an open fire. When I read thru the thread the impression I got it was worth the extra 2 euro compared to the regular Polish.

Downsides: I think I might need an extra sweep, very large pieces of coal and largish cinders the next morning (to get over the latter I throw on a couple of logs or briquettes at end of night).

Last year my area went smokeless fully. Best smokeless I could get locally was Calco which is a mixture with some ovoids. Big drop in heat. The Black Diamond is way better than the Calco.

But me car the last 2 months had alot of soot which I never got before - the rain today cleaned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

No matter what you burn , its recommended that you get chimney cleaned yearly.

Some people think smokeless coal does not produce smoke , and others think that theres no need to sweep chimney if using smokeless coal

But neither is true and actually smokeless coal does produce less carbon emissions and is cleaner than bituminous coal .

but get your chimney cleaned regular anyway

I have been burning coal and the smokeless ovoids in the stove since the delivery from coal warehouse.

The coal pieces are quite small and burn very easily with a lot of heat fairly quickly. Quite a lot of large bits left in stove in the morning. I have been re-using them however.

The ovoids take a while to get going, not much heat at the beginning but once they are glowing, the heat is incredible and lasts for hours. Just turn the airflow to minimum. Not much ash in the morning.

I have found after experimenting that putting the coal on first to get fire going then add a few ovoids. This seems to work well in my stove.

Considering I am saving including delivery almost 30% in the price of the coal and 20% in the ovoids(that is comparing to the cheapest place I can find in the republic, E15 for coal, E18.5 for ovoids), other places are much more expensive, I have no complaints.

Ovoids are the way to go for a stove. A bucket or two of them will keep your stove going all day and put out great heat. Smokey coal in a stove is a false economy and not good for the long-term health of your stove.

Is this true?
    I've been burning ordinary coal the past winter.

Should I be using the ovoids instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

TheTorment wrote: »
    Is this true?

imo YES and I hope you have had your chimney swept since.

Yes I have....it was filthy!!
    I've just ordered coal now to split with a neighbour. I'll get the ovoids next time.

I thought id read that ovoids destroyed the grate due to the heat.

Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yes I have....it was filthy!!
    I've just ordered coal now to split with a neighbour. I'll get the ovoids next time.

I thought id read that ovoids destroyed the grate due to the heat.

Thanks for the advice

Its anything that contains pet coke which is a petroleum by byproduct that does the damage. Pet coke is in mixes but not normally afaik in ovoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Is this true?

Yes it coats your stove and flue in suit as you've found. The smokeless will produce some suit but nothing near as much. The heat output is just as good as the smokey coal but burns far longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yes it coats your stove and flue in suit as you've found. The smokeless will produce some suit but nothing near as much. The heat output is just as good as the smokey coal but burns far longer.

Suits you sir

Advertisement