Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

About to take the plunge and order for delivery. I came across a place in Longford selling a ton of blue bags of nuggets suitable for stoves for 359. Mcldirect they are called. Anyone use them or comment on the coal.? 3 of us are splitting the order in case they are sh1te but said in would check here first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

What size / shape in the nugget. Could be lignite for all we know.

What size / shape in the nugget. Could be lignite for all we know.

Will give them a shout tomorrow. What should I be asking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

brightkane wrote: »
    About to take the plunge and order for delivery. I came across a place in Longford selling a ton of blue bags of nuggets suitable for stoves for 359. Mcldirect they are called. Anyone use them or comment on the coal.? 3 of us are splitting the order in case they are sh1te but said in would check here first!

Are you sure they're in Longford? The only business of that name is this one in Newbridge:

http://www.mcldirect.com/SF-NUG-BLUE-1T-p/sf_nug_blue_1t.htm

I'm sure it not a coincidence that they are selling a tonne of smokeless lignite coal for €359. The big advantage with them is free delivery and it comes in 25kg bags, which is handy for handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Will give them a shout tomorrow. What should I be asking ?

The only nugget I know has a U imprinted on them .. not exactly cheap at €14.36 for a 40kg bag especially if delivery is extra
    dey burn quickly , spark and leave a lot of ash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Are you sure they're in Longford? The only business of that name is this one in Newbridge:

http://www.mcldirect.com/SF-NUG-BLUE-1T-p/sf_nug_blue_1t.htm

I'm sure it not a coincidence that they are selling a tonne of smokeless lignite coal for €359. The big advantage with them is free delivery and it comes in 25kg bags, which is handy for handling.

Bright lane - if it is this offer they are lignite/union nuggets or also known as brown coal. (If you want to do a quick google on brown coal) It is the lowest level of stuff that can be called coal and has a lot of ash but not great heat.

Might be ok if you were using it with really good quality timber but IMHO way too late in the season to be using such nuggets. Better off spending on the extra on ovoids/supertherm/cosyglo/ecobrite.
    Union nuggets are grand for the first few lights of the season but are no way comparable to coal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

We burn Union Nuggets, very clean fuel easy to use and enough heat for us. The ash it produces is fine dust and easy to riddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

my3cents wrote: »
    We burn Union Nuggets, very clean fuel easy to use and enough heat for us. The ash it produces is fine dust and easy to riddle.

Union nuggets approximately 20.7MJ/kg of energy (seai figures), a quality stove ovoid is around 33MJ/kg.

If its cheap enough and you don't mind filling an emptying 1.5 times as often thats fine but in my experience its always overpriced for what you get.

Simply put if a 40kg bag of stove coal is €18 then a 40kg bag of union nuggets is worth about €12.

Cheers for all the replies. Yeah it appears it lignite alright. Back to drawing board!

Might get a ton of ovoids from the coal warehouse then . 370 delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Might get a ton of ovoids from the coal warehouse then . 370 delivered

I recommend them. They last for hours, little ash, great heat

I recommend them. They last for hours, little ash, great heat

Cheers. Exactly what i needed to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Got 5 bags of bnm cosyglo nuggets just north of the border for €67 which is about €7 per bag cheaper , just used a bucket, very good in the stove and decent value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco have BnaM briquettes 2 for €8.
    If you buy 12 = €48 plus a paper with coupon + ___ =€50 - €10 coupon = €3.33 per bale

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

http://king-coal.com/products-ireland/
    I have been using ecobrites and stovoids on and off , but have to say the stovoids are beating the ecobrites hands down, they burn longer and are definitely produce more heat.
    I also asked them for turf instead of the wood briquettes, no problem - all delivered and emptied into the bunkers, hard to beat the service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Folks just started using fireplace and have got BNM lignite nuggets for €10 for 20kg from woodies....is it available cheaper elsewhere ? also is it better or black diamond cosyglo which is available at €12 for 20kg...TIA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

tharmor wrote: »
    Folks just started using fireplace and have got BNM lignite nuggets for €10 for 20kg from woodies....is it available cheaper elsewhere ? also is it better or black diamond cosyglo which is available at €12 for 20kg...TIA...

Lignite is the lowest quality dirtiest sh1ttest type of coal their is I believe. The Germans were breaking records for renewals from Wind and Solar during the year but they have one of the dirtiest coal operations going over there with Lignite....so the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Over the last 2 years I have tried all types of coal in my Stanley stove.

It's tempting to fall for 40kg bags of "cheap coal" when you see them for (€10-€12)

What I would say is this....when it comes to buying coal, you defiinitely get what you pay for.

I've tried everything from cheap 40kg bags of union nuggets (€11) which were absolutely crap, to bags of Ecobrite (€19) which are superb.

I took a gamble last year and bought a tonne of ovoids from the coal warehouse.

I can't remember exactly but it worked out about €11 or €12 per 40 kg bag, because I bought a tonne.

They are absolutely fantastic. I'd go so far as to say they are as good, if not better, than the Ecobrite I had been buying locally for €19 per 40kg bag

I can't recommend this coal enough. A small bucket is enough to heat the house for 2 whole days, very little ash and SUPERB heat. I will continue to buy it by the tonne from the coal warehouse.

Over the last 2 years I have tried all types of coal in my Stanley stove.

It's tempting to fall for 40kg bags of "cheap coal" when you see them for (€10-€12)

What I would say is this....when it comes to buying coal, you defiinitely get what you pay for.

I've tried everything from cheap 40kg bags of union nuggets (€11) which were absolutely crap, to bags of Ecobrite (€19) which are superb.

I took a gamble last year and bought a tonne of ovoids from the coal warehouse.

I can't remember exactly but it worked out about €11 or €12 per 40 kg bag, because I bought a tonne.

They are absolutely fantastic. I'd go so far as to say they are as good, if not better, than the Ecobrite I had been buying locally for €19 per 40kg bag

I can't recommend this coal enough. A small bucket is enough to heat the house for 2 whole days, very little ash and SUPERB heat. I will continue to buy it by the tonne from the coal warehouse.

I trust this coal would be ok to use in a boiler stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ovoids are excellent.

Especially mixed with black Diamond smokey coal

• Advertisement

TheTorment wrote: »

Yes absolutely !

If you buy this coal you won't be disappointed

As long as it has no pet coke in it, just watch out for that.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Ovoids are excellent.

Especially mixed with black Diamond smokey coal

I sometimes throw a shovel of master flame on top of my ovoids.

Exactly right ! There's no pet coke in these ovoids tho

How does one know if there is pet coke in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I can't remember exactly but it worked out about €11 or €12 per 40 kg bag, because I bought a tonne..

It's 12.80 per bag at the moment. factoring in the cost of delivery of a tonne it works out ~15 per bag. Saving around 100 euro.

It's 12.80 per bag at the moment. factoring in the cost of delivery of a tonne it works out ~15 per bag. Saving around 100 euro.

Thanks for that, still not a bad saving.

How does one know if there is pet coke in it?

Yea, good question. Look for contents/spec on a proper website or the bag, the sellers generally don't know/care.

If in doubt leave it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Lignite is the lowest quality dirtiest sh1ttest type of coal their is I believe. The Germans were breaking records for renewals from Wind and Solar during the year but they have one of the dirtiest coal operations going over there with Lignite....so the other one.

We use Union Nuggets (lignite) all the time, I'll agree about the heat output but its the cleanest fuel we have ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

Even if its smokeless ? It says smokeless and golden flame :p !!

Advertisement